Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
*SO* obssessed with the sexual preferences and activities of other people???!!!!

I really don't know. I am a Christian and I believe certain sexual preferences are wrong and it is my duty to tell my "Christian" friends if I believe they are in the wrong just as I would expect them to do for me. However, from a Christian point of view, it is completely useless to try to mend a tree branch if the root is dead. I believe many Christians worry too much about the little things and not enough about spreading the gospel message. If someone isn't a Christian, then THAT should be their focus, not the sin they are in. I am also a Libertarian so I really don't care what other people do and I wish as a society we would mind our own business more. (Especially in the bedroom, or on the table, or wherever...it's NONE of my business!)

Just a side note: I don't want to shove my beliefs down other's throughts, but I also don't want other's beliefs shoved down mine. When it comes to TV and internet, I have a choice to hit the OFF/ON button. When it's out in public, just keep it to yourself please. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Because sexual preferences of another are an easy sin to hate.

It's difficult to argue against greed if the one doing the arguing has a higher standard of living than most people in the world.

It's difficult to argue against wrath, anger, or faithlessness in a nation that boasts by far the most powerful military in the world.

It's easy to argue against a sexual preference that you genuinely do not have. It's easier than looking in the mirror. Weak people need an external source to blame their problems on and feel superior to.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Luke 7:36-50

[36] Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. [37] When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, [38] and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

[39] When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is -- that she is a sinner."

[40] Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."

"Tell me, teacher," he said.

[41] "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. [42] Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

[43] Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."

"You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

[44] Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. [45] You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. [46] You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. [47] Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven -- for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.

It is easier put focus by condemning another and say, "Look! You are a sinner!" and far more difficult to demonstrate how you have showed love for another or Christ. Simon wasn't a man of ill repute. He was revered among men, thought to be holy, but he condemned the woman for her reputation, and even condemned Christ for allowing her to approach. Christ then humbled him, and pointed out how it was the woman, and not Simon, who demonstrated love, and by her demonstration, had a greater love than Simon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hey Beckie...nice to see ya still spunky and snarky :)

as always...

but it's an honest question. It seems that while you claim Christians are obsessed with others' sexual preference, others are obsessed with those same Christians. So I'm really wondering why you care.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
*SO* obssessed with the sexual preferences and activities of other people???!!!!
People like to know whats going on in other peoples bedrooms. But the same could be said about anyone of any religion. People are nosy.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I must've missed that portion in my studies...
I thought christians weren't supposed to judge others, and to worry about the planks in their own eyes...

hmmmm

You obviously missed in your studies that Matthew 7:1-5 is about how we are to righteously judge as opposed to hypocritically judging. It IS NOT a prohibition against judging.

First you take the plank out your own eye and THEN you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

It tells HOW to properly judge.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
People like to know whats going on in other peoples bedrooms. But the same could be said about anyone of any religion. People are nosy.

Eww...I honestly don't wanna know what's going on in other people's bedrooms.

I guess my honest answer to the question at hand isn't so much that Christians are obsessed with people's sexual orientation, it's that people's sexual orientations are right out there now in the open. I had someone send me a message about something and they prefaced it with "I'm gay..." even though sexuality had nothing to do with anything.

When people actually believe that me wearing a wedding ring is flaunting my heterosexuality, I have serious doubts about who is actually obsessing over who.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

18 When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for [a] his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.
20 "Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die. Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 21 But if you do warn the righteous man not to sin and he does not sin, he will surely live because he took warning, and you will have saved yourself."
ezekiel 3:18-22

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage- with great patience and careful instruction.” 2 Tim 4:2

If Christians are not concerned with doing what God's word says, no one is presented with the truth and absent the truth about sin, no one will ever see the need for a Savior.

So if what you do in your bedroom is a sin, there is your answer as to why Christians are concerned about it.

Perhaps you are okay with folks living in unrepentant sin and going to hell. I'm not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
There's a difference between warning....and beating a dead horse beyond bones and into dust...
Thus...the "harping" on sexual activities of any kind seems...pointedly dogmatic...

Why do we not see threads addressing materialism, greed, covetous behavior/thoughts, idolatry, hetrosexual sexual sins here in E&M...but instead...military and gay harpings???

Are these just the sins de'jour?

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There's a difference between warning....and beating a dead horse beyond bones and into dust...
Thus...the "harping" on sexual activities of any kind seems...pointedly dogmatic...

Why do we not see threads addressing materialism, greed, covetous behavior/thoughts, idolatry, hetrosexual sexual sins here in E&M...but instead...military and gay harpings???

So how many times is enough times to correct the same lie? Is it beating a dead horse beyond bones and into dust when the same people keep proclaiming that homosexual sex is not a sin?

Or is it only beating a dead horse when it comes to affirming that God says homosexual sex is a sin?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

There's not a lot of people out there tooting their horns about how greedy they are or how they covet other people's things, and if they were, I imagine a good portion of Christians would say something about it. I was trying to think of threads about greed and whatnot, and there are some in N&CE about all these weird ponzi schemes...but to be honest, those bore me to death because I don't understand how it works.

Right now homosexuality is the hot topic. DADT just got repealed so of course there's discussion on it. Funnily enough, I think it's still illegal to commit adultery in the military, but you'd know more on that than I would (cuz you were in the military, that is. NOT saying you committed adultery or anything...it was just worded odd...) so now it's okay to be gay in the military but you can't have an affair.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
as always...

but it's an honest question. It seems that while you claim Christians are obsessed with others' sexual preference, others are obsessed with those same Christians. So I'm really wondering why you care.

In reality I don't care so much about the sexuality...but the apparent obsession of a few here who seem to be able to converse about nothing else...I find it odd that they focus only on homosexuality...something they either subconsciously relate to and it terrifies them...or something so completely foreign to them they couldn't possibly begin to understand how to address it as an issue of biology not choice.

You obviously missed in your studies that Matthew 7:1-5 is about how we are to righteously judge as opposed to hypocritically judging. It IS NOT a prohibition against judging.

First you take the plank out your own eye and THEN you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

It tells HOW to properly judge.

Uh huh...I believe the proper term you're looking for is "properly discern" ... unfortunately most of what I've been reading here the last few nights is "judgement without mercy" reference the parable of the man forgiven debt who didn't forgive the debt of others...and his "reward".

Eww...I honestly don't wanna know what's going on in other people's bedrooms.

I guess my honest answer to the question at hand isn't so much that Christians are obsessed with people's sexual orientation, it's that people's sexual orientations are right out there now in the open. I had someone send me a message about something and they prefaced it with "I'm gay..." even though sexuality had nothing to do with anything.

When people actually believe that me wearing a wedding ring is flaunting my heterosexuality, I have serious doubts about who is actually obsessing over who.

I don't either...any more than people want to know what goes on in mine...though a few people have a pretty good idea from a couple of my posts ^_^

I think (correct me if I'm wrong here) that the deal with your ring isn't so much about your heterosexuality, but instead about the legal right to actually *be* married.

People keep making it about money or tax breaks...but that's actually the last in a list of reasons for legal marriage for homosexuals. The one making the top of the list is this:

If something happens to you...your husband has the right to decide where you're buried...he has the right to claim your property as his own, mementos of centimental value, a favorite knick knack, necklace, etc...
Gay and Lesbian couples don't have that right...adn more often than not, due to familial and societal condemnation, the partner is left with nothing to remember their partner by, and no security, financial or otherwise due to the blood family's interference.

Imagine...spending your life with a partner...and being completely shut out of everything when it comes to saying a final goodbye...

How cruel is that? How is that just? Loving? or even human?

Anyhow...probably more than you wanted to read LOL

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

When the materialists, the greedy, the coveting, the idolatrous, and performers of heterosexual sex sins come in here and start proclaiming their sin to not be sin or proclaiming "that's not what God really says", "or those are paul's word's not Jesus's", then you will see those threads.
As it stands, there is no one except the homosexuals and the homosexual sex apologists making such errant claims.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.