Why are Christians afraid of Judgment Day?

reddogs

Contributor
Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟418,416.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have come across Christians who say there is no day of judgment and reject the plain truth of scripture and worse, those who claim that the Commandants were done away with, and that even if not, Grace covers them anyway. But the Bible teaches that truth in the whole of Gods Word matters, and the Law is part of Gods character, and Grace is not a wholesale license to sin. But people just want to hear the easy path without even thinking about it, but there are consequences to that as Jesus made clear..

Matthew 10:14-15
14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

Matthew 13:41
The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

God cares about everything His children do, and it matters...

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

God knows that Satan will come to temp them and He will protect them who are truly His children, but those who love sin will have to face Gods Judgment Day at the end...

2 Peter 2:9
The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

But the Judgment Day also applies to those who accept Christ and follow him...

1 John 4:17
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

So many who think Grace allows them to sin all they want, or the Commandments mean nothing, or pick only the parts of the Bible they want and reject the other, or pick up false ideas of Universalism or in "Once Saved, Always Saved", may be surprised at Judgment Day that their name is not in the Book of Life.

Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Now if Christians are willfully ignoring or rejecting what God gives us in scripture and continue in sin and iniquity what will happen on Judgment Day?.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To answer the question in your title, I am afraid of Judgment Day because even if my sins are forgiven through Christ, it seems that they will be revealed, and facing all my sins at once in an undeniable way, is an unbearable thought - though it certainly makes me more and more grateful for the prospect of forgiveness with each day that passes.

EDIT: sorry, I did not realize I was in the Adventist congregational forum. But I will leave my reply, because I don’t think it teaches anything contrary to SDA views. If it does, please let me know, and I will erase it. No offense intended.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have come across Christians who say there is no day of judgment and reject the plain truth of scripture and worse, those who claim that the Commandants were done away with, and that even if not, Grace covers them anyway. But the Bible teaches that truth in the whole of Gods Word matters, and the Law is part of Gods character, and Grace is not a wholesale license to sin. But people just want to hear the easy path without even thinking about it, but there are consequences to that as Jesus made clear..

14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

God knows that Satan will come to temp them and He will protect them who are truly His children, but those who love sin will have to face Gods Judgment Day at the end...

The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

So many who think Grace allows them to sin all they want, or the Commandments mean nothing, or pick only the parts of the Bible they want and reject the other, or pick up false ideas of Universalism or in "Once Saved, Always Saved", may be surprised at Judgment Day that their name is not in the Book of Life.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Now if Christians are willfully ignoring or rejecting what God gives us in scripture and continue in sin and iniquity what will happen on Judgment Day?.
I am not at all afraid of the day of Judgment, because I won't be a part of the Judgment in which the unconverted are judged and found guilty of their rejection of Christ.

I am totally saved by God's grace, through faith, and not through anything I have or can do, it is the gift of God to me, unearned and unmerited. Not of works lest I should boast in them.

If I had to do good deeds in order to earn my salvation, it would no longer be His gift, and He would be in debt to me, rather than the other way around, I being in debt to Him for a debt I can never repay.

But, I have to go on to sanctification, and that is on the basis of God's moral law, which existed long before the Ten Commandments. God's moral law forms the basis of His nature and character, and the Holy Spirit works in me to develop me to conform to the image of Christ, whose image reflects the pure and holy moral law of God.

We are to follow the commands of Christ, but He will never command us to do what we cannot do of ourselves. He only commands us to do what the Holy Spirit in us enables us to do through His strength and power. The Scripture says, "It is not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit". So it is not by our own effort, willpower, or strength that we comply with the commandments of Christ, but through the inner working of the Holy Spirit within us.

So, we depend on grace through our faith alone in Christ for our salvation, but depend on the Holy Spirit to transform us into the people He wants us to be.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Because of OSAS. Even if I were to be saved, I would not say I wouldn't fear Mighty God Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Well, if heaven is a place only reserved for non sinners, then it will be empty.

All of us sin each and every day in our thoughts, words, desires, and deeds, and in the things we have done, and in the things we have left undone

we can't number our sins, we cannot remember most of them, and as Martin Luther said "We will carry the Old Man (sin) on our back until the last breath"

Christ paid the price, and we are no longer under condemnation.

Having a saving faith will produce good works that are pleasing to God, but will not eliminate sin in our lives, and is not the means of our salvation.

When God sees our sin, he sees the blood of Christ, we are clean, God has chosen to forgive our sins, and remember them no more.

But again, good works should follow saving faith, but it's not the means of our salvation. Additionally, people should not have a cavalier attitude towards sin, and should be trying to live a life more pleasing to God...but we, as long as we wear this flesh, will sin, and fall short of the glory of God.

As far as once saved, always saved...I think people can apostisize, and forfit their salvation, but in those cases, they are happy to do it, feel no remorse, and don't care. If at some point a person feels the need to seek forgiveness, and repentence, then he never left the faith to begin with, and God is waiting with open arms.

if you are worried about looking your salvation, you have not lost it, if you lost it, you would be happy about it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

If judgment day does not exist - then it is great for anyone not wanting to be judged. Both the saints and the wicked would get a pass.

But that means wickedness would "live forever" unless the wicked had a drone-implant forcing them to be saintly no matter what their preference. Having the wicked "trash the place" for all eternity would stop making it "fun" after a while - to live in heaven.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Because of OSAS. Even if I were to be saved, I would not say I wouldn't fear Mighty God Jesus Christ.

OSAS only works if the Bible is not correct -- see Romans 11 Matthew 18 end of chapter and 1 Cor 9 end of chapter

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, if heaven is a place only reserved for non sinners, then it will be empty.

True

Heaven is a place for the sinless angels and for the people of Earth who accept the Gospel and "persevere firm to the end" Matt 24:13

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's not our position to judge ... it's Christ's ... all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Him. Besides that ... it's not over yet ;o)

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Best not to be standing close to them.
Because, it won't be pretty.

Confronted my cousin about his sinning.
He told me it was all good
he was covered by the blood.
He's in jail now
waiting to be sentenced to prison.

If we don't understand Godly repentance
we probably don't got it
but, many will fool themselves.
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reddogs

Contributor
Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟418,416.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not at all afraid of the day of Judgment, because I won't be a part of the Judgment in which the unconverted are judged and found guilty of their rejection of Christ.

I am totally saved by God's grace, through faith, and not through anything I have or can do, it is the gift of God to me, unearned and unmerited. Not of works lest I should boast in them.

If I had to do good deeds in order to earn my salvation, it would no longer be His gift, and He would be in debt to me, rather than the other way around, I being in debt to Him for a debt I can never repay.

But, I have to go on to sanctification, and that is on the basis of God's moral law, which existed long before the Ten Commandments. God's moral law forms the basis of His nature and character, and the Holy Spirit works in me to develop me to conform to the image of Christ, whose image reflects the pure and holy moral law of God.

We are to follow the commands of Christ, but He will never command us to do what we cannot do of ourselves. He only commands us to do what the Holy Spirit in us enables us to do through His strength and power. The Scripture says, "It is not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit". So it is not by our own effort, willpower, or strength that we comply with the commandments of Christ, but through the inner working of the Holy Spirit within us.

So, we depend on grace through our faith alone in Christ for our salvation, but depend on the Holy Spirit to transform us into the people He wants us to be.
Scripture tells us that all will stand in judgment when Christ comes...

Jude 1:15
To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Jesus Christ taught of the resurrection, and of the judgment when He comes again.

Matthew 16:27

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

The resurrection of the saints from the grave is at the second coming, and it is in bodily form like Lazurus, not some spirit floating around, and it is from the grave not being plucked from the fields or rooftop.

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus taught that even if people died they would be raised up.

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Luke 20:35
But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

And when he died at the cross, there were firstfruits of the saints that were raised from the grave, but the resurrection of the saints is when Christ comes.

Matthew 27:52-53
52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The saints who believed would be resurrected by Christ just as he was resurrected in bodily form

Acts 4:2
Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

And this was being taught as a firm doctrine to the believers along with the final judgment.

Hebrews 6:2
Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Scripture tells us that all will stand in judgment when Christ comes...

Jude 1:15
To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Jesus Christ taught of the resurrection, and of the judgment when He comes again.

Matthew 16:27

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

The resurrection of the saints from the grave is at the second coming, and it is in bodily form like Lazurus, not some spirit floating around, and it is from the grave not being plucked from the fields or rooftop.

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus taught that even if people died they would be raised up.

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Luke 20:35
But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

And when he died at the cross, there were firstfruits of the saints that were raised from the grave, but the resurrection of the saints is when Christ comes.

Matthew 27:52-53
52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The saints who believed would be resurrected by Christ just as he was resurrected in bodily form

Acts 4:2
Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

And this was being taught as a firm doctrine to the believers along with the final judgment.

Hebrews 6:2
Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
So what will you do when Jesus comes again? What will you say to Him?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We will tremble like St. Peter did since we are sinners.
I won't be, because as a genuinely converted believer, the Scripture assures me that I will have confidence on that day, and that I will have a glorified body and be part of the bride of Christ, and therefore,having left my sinful body behind, I won't be judged with the unconverted. The Scripture puts these words into the mouths of genuinely converted believers: "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He will keep which I have committed to Him against that Day".

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟418,416.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To answer the question in your title, I am afraid of Judgment Day because even if my sins are forgiven through Christ, it seems that they will be revealed, and facing all my sins at once in an undeniable way, is an unbearable thought - though it certainly makes me more and more grateful for the prospect of forgiveness with each day that passes.

EDIT: sorry, I did not realize I was in the Adventist congregational forum. But I will leave my reply, because I don’t think it teaches anything contrary to SDA views. If it does, please let me know, and I will erase it. No offense intended.
That is the most thoughtful answer I have come across, recognizing our sins in view of the perfection and holiness of God before us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Different judgement. WE ALL stand before the Judge of all.

But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment

Romans 14:12
So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God

Written to believers, not unbelievers.

Upvote 0