Why are Christian Tourists to Israel Harassed?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are the Ultra Orthodox Jews; some of whom don't recognize Israel as Jewish enough for them.
What would they like to see recognized as being Jewish enough for them?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What would they like to see recognized as being Jewish enough for them?
Among Jews there are various tendencies; many Israelis are secular Jews rather than practising ones; and among the practising ones there are different tendencies also. Some religious Jews are even exempt from military service because they don't think the Israel Defence Forces defend an entity that is truly Jewish enough.

It's not so much of a practical expectation that other Jews become "more Jewish" as it is a mindset.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Among Jews there are various tendencies; many Israelis are secular Jews rather than practising ones; and among the practising ones there are different tendencies also. Some religious Jews are even exempt from military service because they don't think the Israel Defence Forces defend an entity that is truly Jewish enough.

It's not so much of a practical expectation that other Jews become "more Jewish" as it is a mindset.
Being exempt from military duty places it in gvmt control it seems.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

You cannot expect the proper spiritual energy and light out of either Jew or Gentile unless they have been endued with it from on high. Albert Einstein himself said...
quote-it-is-easier-to-denature-plutonium-than-to-denature-the-evil-spirit-of-man-albert-einstein-36-66-41.jpg

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.

You cannot expect the proper spiritual energy and light out of either Jew or Gentile unless they have been endued with it from on high. Albert Einstein himself said...
quote-it-is-easier-to-denature-plutonium-than-to-denature-the-evil-spirit-of-man-albert-einstein-36-66-41.jpg

huh?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
True. They see Christians as more of a threat to their existence than radical jihadi Islam. They even see the more secular Israeli society as a threat. As a result they are very insular. They have even gotten exemption from Israel's universal service law. (everyone spends 2 years in the Israeli Defense Force)

In all the time I spent in the jewelry sales/manufacture industry, I met, indeed made friends with many Jews. Some were Hasidim, others were not. Almost all, however, were Orthodox Jews. As a Christian, I was never harassed, never made to feel like I was unwelcome.

I can't talk about conditions in Israel, true. But in Chicago, where I lived, they were nothing if not polite.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The gospel offends those who reject Jesus.

It may, but it is also easier to catch flies with honey rather than vinegar.

There seems to be a type of Christian that ALWAYS goes full bore, darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. They go to Israel wanting to witness to Jews, and when they are persecuted for doing so, they utube it, and try to put on the robe of a martyr.

I learned, a long time ago, that in order to really be welcomed into a closed community like Haredi Jews, it takes time, patience, and the ability to let things go, so that once in a while, you can put in a good word.

Most evangelical Christians that I know, and have met in the past just want a quick decision for Christ, with no follow up, no real love, just another notch on their Bible. PLEASE! If I, as a Catholic went into the Salvation Army and tried to get one of their members to join the Catholic Church, I am sure that I would get the same reaction as the "Christian" trying to get into the closed society shown in the uTube clips.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

Rocky, this makes no sense. You are trying to equate spiritual matters with the Special Theory of Relativity. It doesn't work like that.

By the way, do you really know what E=MC2 means? E (in joules) = mc 2, equation in German-born physicist Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity that shows that the increased relativistic mass (m in Kilograms) of a body comes from the energy of motion of the body—that is, its kinetic energy (E)—divided by the speed of light squared.

There is no way that you can convert that to a spiritual formula.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There seems to be a type of Christian that ALWAYS goes full bore, darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. They go to Israel wanting to witness to Jews, and when they are persecuted for doing so, they utube it, and try to put on the robe of a martyr.

I learned, a long time ago, that in order to really be welcomed into a closed community like Haredi Jews, it takes time, patience, and the ability to let things go, so that once in a while, you can put in a good word.

Most evangelical Christians that I know, and have met in the past just want a quick decision for Christ, with no follow up, no real love, just another notch on their Bible. PLEASE! If I, as a Catholic went into the Salvation Army and tried to get one of their members to join the Catholic Church, I am sure that I would get the same reaction as the "Christian" trying to get into the closed society shown in the uTube clips.

The question you raise in my mind is why do you separate yourself as a Catholic and not a Christian. The very delineation to me is odd, that is if both are the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question you raise in my mind is why do you separate yourself as a Catholic and not a Christian. The very delineation to me is odd, that is if both are the same.

Maybe you should start a thread on it if you're curious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this attitude necessary?
The ultra-Orthodox Jews are more likely to live below the poverty line than other Jewish sects In Israel.

Tens of thousands of Christian tourists pass through Israel every year without being harassed. Jews working at tourist concessions have an interest in welcoming these Christians. Christians who evangelize may encounter resistance as such is against the law.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Rocky, this makes no sense. You are trying to equate spiritual matters with the Special Theory of Relativity. It doesn't work like that.

By the way, do you really know what E=MC2 means? E (in joules) = mc 2, equation in German-born physicist Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity that shows that the increased relativistic mass (m in Kilograms) of a body comes from the energy of motion of the body—that is, its kinetic energy (E)—divided by the speed of light squared.

There is no way that you can convert that to a spiritual formula.

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

Spirituality is not intelligence - Therefore it cannot be taught
Spirituality is not mass - Therefore it cannot be purchased

Spirituality is virtue. Plato's Meno is a dialogue in which Socrates and Meno discuss human virtue: whether or not it can be taught, whether it is shared by all human beings, and whether it is one quality or many.

After discussion with Anytus, Socrates and Meno return to the subject of whether Virtue can be taught. "To sum up our enquiry," Socrates concludes, "the result seems to be that virtue is neither natural nor acquired, but an instinct given by God to the virtuous."

Meno's theme is also being dealt in the dialogue of Protagoras, where, Plato finally puts Socrates to conclude with the opposite conclusion 'That virtue can be taught.' It is important to conclude that virtue is in different departments than knowledge and mass. One may have an understanding as vast as the great outdoors... And not a thing in the heart! One can also have billions of dollars... And a heart corrupt to the core! So... Spirituality does not make sense. Mass does not make sense, as it is not knowledge. Plasma will cool into mass, and mass will burn into plasma whether we think about it or not.

Back to topic... We cannot expect spirituality out of those whose virtual instinct was not given by God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I heard that there are a lot of Christian missionary groups that are very strong handed in their trying to save Jewish people. I think I heard something like they outlawed some because they said they were being harrassed by the missionary's. And there are a lot of them. I heard once a Jewish person say after the Holocaust that there are so many less Jews that the Jewish religion feels like they cannot loose even one Jewish person.

Does anyone know anything about this? Problems with Christian missionary's in Israel?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Catholics are the most easily misunderstood of Christians. Therefore, if a Catholic (of any flavor) walked into a Salvation Army meeting, he would instantly be bombarded with questions--topmost is "are you saved?"

And I imagine that it would jerk the chain of most Christians if their visitor said, "I'm just hunting souls for the Catholic Church."

There is some cultural sensitivity needed, and that is what I was talking about.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

This is just the point I was getting at in my previous post.

Some think it is a real notch in their belt to save a Jewish person, but when love is not shown for that person and respect for them, then they see us as wanting them to leave their religion for ours.

Upvote 0