Why are Christian Tourists to Israel Harassed?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Those Americans seem like they're trying to provoke the Jews. They shouldn't have done that.

Actually, that's what i was wondering.

I hope they weren't.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are Hasidic Jews and what difference does it make?
Chasidic Jews are an offshoot of Orthodoxy started in the early 1700s by Rabbi Yisroel ben Eliezer, known as the Baal Shem Tov. He lived in the Ukraine. They are a mystical (at times bordering on black magic) sect. Prior to WW2 there were over 200 Chassidic groups, now there are only about a dozen or so with the largest being the Chabad Lubavich.

The great American Jewish thinker Abraham Joshua Heschel (died 1972) was in line to be the Rebbe (rabbi leader) of the Apter sect after his father. He was attending college in Berlin in the mid 1930s and saw what was brewing and warned his family to leave, but they did not. He went to England just before the massive crackdowns. His entire community was wiped out. Heschel's wife was the daughter of the Rebbe of another Chassidic group, (possibly the Kotzker sect) meaning he could have been Rebbe of that group as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They would probably never join an organization such as "International Fellowship of Christians and Jews".
True. They see Christians as more of a threat to their existence than radical jihadi Islam. They even see the more secular Israeli society as a threat. As a result they are very insular. They have even gotten exemption from Israel's universal service law. (everyone spends 2 years in the Israeli Defense Force)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chasidic Jews are an offshoot of Orthodoxy started in the early 1700s by Rabbi Yisroel ben Eliezer, known as the Baal Shem Tov. He lived in the Ukraine. They are a mystical (at times bordering on black magic) sect. Prior to WW2 there were over 200 Chassidic groups, now there are only about a dozen or so with the largest being the Chabad Lubavich.
Thanks for the clarification. It must be quite a mad atmosphere to be in Israel with all the different sects vying to be heard.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
True. They see Christians as more of a threat to their existence than radical jihadi Islam. They even see the more secular Israeli society as a threat. As a result they are very insular. They have even gotten exemption from Israel's universal service law. (everyone spends 2 years in the Israeli Defense Force)

This is very helpful.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the clarification. It must be quite a mad atmosphere to be in Israel with all the different sects vying to be heard.
Indeed. The Haredi stay away from most of the country and keep to their own communities. But other groups like Shas party (orthodox Sephardi Jews) and Yad Vashem (hand of God) seemingly interested in specifically on finding and expelling US - Messianics.

Yad Vashem burned down the Messianic synagogue in Haifa, after several months of slashing tires and other harassment. Shas (who had the Interior Ministry at the time) detained, arrested and deported a Messianic rabbi from Richmond VA (I met him a few times and knew one of his daughters), and he is a kohen - from the Priestly line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect that the guy in the videos must have specifically went into a Haredi area; KNOWING that he would have a very poor reception.
Tactics for media attention ... I can't help but compare that with a part of the statue that Nebacanezer saw, called media (off-topic I know ;) )

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol, just think, in N. Korea there wouldn't be all that vying but the Christian would fair even worse.
I don't know why the word 'Christian' is used in the thread. I did not hear any gospel witnessing going on. What I did see going on was provocation by the tourist (?). As far as I can tell, he didn't come with the Gospel. I can't imagine the fireworks if he had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
lol, just think, in N. Korea there wouldn't be all that vying but the Christian would fair even worse.
I don't know why the word 'Christian' is used in the thread. I did not hear any gospel witnessing going on. What I did see going on was provocation by the tourist (?). As far as I can tell, he didn't come with the Gospel. I can't imagine the fireworks if he had.
Yes it seemed more a territorial thing with the Jews claiming rights to God yet not wanting to defend their position.

Upvote 0