Why are Catholic priests called "father"?

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So much has been written on this, it is hardly worthy of more discussion!

On your quote "call no man father" : It is irrelevant to the matter ,
Jesus often talked in Hyperbole.

Or how do your reconcile his simultaneous demands to
"hate your father and mother " Luke 14:26 and
"honour your father and mother" in the commandments!

On practice of use of the title.
It was there from the earliest times. And I mean even OT

God asked Abram to call himself "father"! - which is the meaning of Abraham with reference to his position as leader in faith.

It is there again in Corinthians when Paul said:
“I became your father through the Gospel” (1 Cor 4:14-17).

So affirmed in both OT and NT

And as a result it was the practice for leaders in faith to call themselves father.
Which leads to the early church practice of calling the pope "papa" and indeed some other patriarchs.

Out of frustration I can only comment - It is number 69 on the ill researched "anticatholic myth" playlist, proof texting out of context, with the goal of opposing catholicism! And no matter how many times it is answered, someone else will raise it. Doh!!!

So what did Jesus actually mean? It is a reasonable guess he felt that people were paying far too much attention and giving far too much respect to the leaders of faith called father, and not enough attention the father in heaven, the fathers on earth were pointing to. He was asking them to refocus on God!

Hope that helps.

Isn't this a contradiction of what Jesus states in Matthew?

Matthew 23:9

"And call no man your 'Father' upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Definition of hyperbole: an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally,

In other words, you don't believe Jesus often meant what he said when he spoke if you think he often exaggerated what he was saying. Whoa, just whoa.

"hate your father and mother "

This was in comparison to obedience with the 1st commandment, so it's not contradictory.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

"And call no man your 'Father' upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

?
I know where you're going with this and of course there is no stopping you until you've said what you're gonna say. But I have one historical comment.

Back before there were many Catholics in this country it was common for Protestants to call their ministers 'father'. Common. Not a theological issue. The few Catholic priests around were not called 'father' at the time either, but not for any theological reason. It only became a 'thing' recently. Before that even garden variety Protestants knew there was no contradiction.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Definition of hyperbole: an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally,

In other words, you don't believe Jesus often meant what he said when he spoke if you think he often exaggerated what he was saying. Whoa, just whoa.

This was in comparison to obedience with the 1st commandment, so it's not contradictory.

The title "Father" which Catholic Priests have is an honorary one, not a literal one.
It is meant to be descriptive of their spiritual care and nurture of the flock entrusted to them by God Himself in the same way that Joseph (husband of Mary) was assumed to be the father of Jesus, but is properly known as a foster father; one who did not contribute to the creation of the child, but who nonetheless is responsible for it's care.

In that sense it is very far from being hyperbole.

It is the same way that a shepherd physically cares for his flock of sheep but is not himself a ram,
and thus their physical father. Shepherds are given their title as a recognition of the job they do.

And just as the Shepherds care for their flock,
our priests care of us spiritually.
They carry us across their shoulders and in their hearts.
They nurture us, care for our spiritual wounds, anoint us against evil influences, and otherwise see that we have the Words of God to sustain our growth in Christ.
It's a very busy job with long hours and often little in the way of recompense,
but in these ways and more they act to us as fathers, although not physically being so.

But even giving all this, any Priest would tell you that it's also the greatest joy on Earth to care for a lamb of Christ's flock, and to raise them up for the Glory of the Lord.

So yes, they deserve the honor of being called Father.
It is what they are appointed to do by God
in the same way that God appointed Joseph, and as he was seen
by those around him to act as a father to Jesus.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

?
Have you ever heard of the expression "tempest in a tea pot"?
This is a very old and oft used false comparison by those opposed to the Catholic Church, and whose sole purpose is designed to mock Catholics.
It is used here only for the purpose of encouraging hatred against us.

Please do not do this thing again.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This shows a woeful lack of understanding of first century Jewish conversation.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever heard of the expression "tempest in a tea pot"?

Mountainmike was the one who said "Jesus often talked in hyperbole" originally in this thread. My response was a disagreement with that and thus an agreement that it was not hyperbole at all.

It is used here only for the purpose of encouraging hatred against us.

Not at all was this my intention. I saw what seemed to be a contradiction with scripture and I use this place as a tool of learning. I'm not sure why I can't inquire about Catholicism without offending its members but that's fine, I'll leave Catholicism alone since whenever I bring up any points against it Catholic adherents get offended.

This shows a woeful lack of understanding of first century Jewish conversation.

Yes admittedly.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know where you're going with this and of course there is no stopping you until you've said what you're gonna say. But I have one historical comment.

Back before there were many Catholics in this country it was common for Protestants to call their ministers 'father'. Common. Not a theological issue. The few Catholic priests around were not called 'father' at the time either, but not for any theological reason. It only became a 'thing' recently. Before that even garden variety Protestants knew there was no contradiction.
Confirmed. Lutheran pastors are sometimes called 'father', especially in High Church congregations. Sometimes we do it around Baptists just for the lulz.

Also, 1 Corinthians 4
I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

So the practice of calling every priest "father" runs contrary to 1 Cor 4. I think we can all agree that Paul is in a league of his own here. I still don't fully understand why it's permitted to call any priest father when Mat 23:9 specifically states that you shouldn't. I get that he was talking about pharisee's but nobody has really filled in why we shouldn't take that message and apply it for today. Only comparisons have been tended.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"hate your father and mother " Luke 14:26 and
"honour your father and mother" in the commandments!

Because the original word used describes valuing one thing lower than another, not "hatred" as we think of it today. Jesus is reminding us again that we should value nothing above God.

Not at all was this my intention. I saw what seemed to be a contradiction with scripture and I use this place as a tool of learning. I'm not sure why I can't inquire about Catholicism without offending its members but that's fine, I'll leave Catholicism alone since whenever I bring up any points against it Catholic adherents get offended.

I grew up Catholic. Occasionally I would come across someone in clergy or other leadership who would welcome questions about why the Church taught the things they taught. They could discuss and explain things in a calm, rational and loving manner. Other times a simple question would be met with harsh rebuke ranging from accusations of attacking the Church to hatred for God. It takes all types, I suppose.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Confirmed. Lutheran pastors are sometimes called 'father', especially in High Church congregations. Sometimes we do it around Baptists just for the lulz.

Also, 1 Corinthians 4
Paul spoke to them as babes. Its not a compliment.

1 Corinthians 3:1New King James Version (NKJV)
Sectarianism Is Carnal
3 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

?

If taken literally, Jesus words mean that we cannot even call our earthly father, "father".

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I grew up Catholic. Occasionally I would come across someone in clergy or other leadership who would welcome questions about why the Church taught the things they taught. They could discuss and explain things in a calm, rational and loving manner. Other times a simple question would be met with harsh rebuke ranging from accusations of attacking the Church to hatred for God. It takes all types, I suppose.
It comes from the perception, based on experience, that the OP is leading up to an inevitable Catholic bashing result. Goes like this: I interpret Mt 23:9 as meaning Catholics are dead wrong about calling their priests 'father'. How do you explain away God's word that Catholics are wrong? And it doesn't matter what is said, the original poster is using the whole thing as an attack on the Catholic Church. Pretty much inevitably it ends with the original poster pasting in Revelations 18:4. I've seen it many times myself.

This particular issue is actually silly. It is SO easy to answer. But it keeps on coming back like weeds in the yard. I guess it just gets tiring when after explaining it in a calm, rational, and loving manner for about twenty times you begin to doubt the sincerity of the questioner on the twenty-first go around. That's what you see here. Show me how the initial post is actually sincere and not the vector for yet one more attack. Such attacks are easy. Only a few lines. The responses are involved. If the original poster isn't asking a sincere question, why bother? All we really expect is Rev 18:4 being tossed out in the end anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It comes from the perception, based on experience, that the OP is leading up to an inevitable Catholic bashing result. Goes like this: I interpret Mt 23:9 as meaning Catholics are dead wrong about calling their priests 'father'. How do you explain away God's word that Catholics are wrong? And it doesn't matter what is said, the original poster is using the whole thing as an attack on the Catholic Church. Pretty much inevitably it ends with the original poster pasting in Revelations 18:4. I've seen it many times myself.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. 1 Corinthians 13:7

This particular issue is actually silly. It is SO easy to answer. But it keeps on coming back like weeds in the yard. I guess it just gets tiring when after explaining it in a calm, rational, and loving manner for about twenty times you begin to doubt the sincerity of the questioner on the twenty-first go around. That's what you see here. Show me how the initial post is actually sincere and not the vector for yet one more attack. Such attacks are easy. Only a few lines. The responses are involved. If the original poster isn't asking a sincere question, why bother? All we really expect is Rev 18:4 being tossed out in the end anyway.

Having the same questions come up again and again and again is pretty normal for message boards. There's no rule saying we have to reply if we cannot do so lovingly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
St. Paul, speaking in the Spirit, and recorded in Holy Scripture for posterity, uses the term father in reference to men on earth, specifically to preachers in relation to their parishioners.

1 Corinthians 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Philemon 1:10 I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment.

Philippians 2:22 But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel.

1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 For you know how, like a father with his children, 12 we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.

1 Timothy 5:1-2 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father. Treat younger men like brothers, 2 older women like mothers, younger women like sisters, in all purity.

Let's examine what Jesus says.

Matthew 23:9-10
And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ.

First of all, if you aren't going to call your pastor Father, then you had better not call anyone in the congregation 'instructor' or 'teacher' either.

But more to the point, it's clear Jesus is making an absolute statement: call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. The statement is either literal and means "call no human being on earth by the term father" or it is in some sense figurative, with the figure in the word "call," that is, "realize that no man on earth is really your father, even though you have many fathers on earth, for there is only One True Father."

Well, if it's the former then how is it that we all call our fathers father? How does one justify that in light of Jesus' statement? "Call no man father" does not make room for biological exceptions. That is, if there is a figure here it certainly can't be in the negative particle because the whole force of the statement is most obviously aimed at earthly, biological fathers. There is no way the statement means "Call your dad father but nobody else."

So the figure is obviously in the word "call:" realize that some words we use towards men are used only in shadowy ways because they belong to God. To "call" something by name in the Bible has great importance. Think of all those name changes in the Bible: God calls a thing what it is. To name something is supposed to directly speak of its essence. But when we call our earthly fathers father we just can't be using words that way. Our fathers are shadows, reflections, images (often poor ones) of the ultimate reality. We could just as well say that no wife should call her husband husband because there is only One Husband who is in heaven, Christ the Lord. Or, no one ought to call the lords in the House of Lords lords because there is only One Lord. In every case we are not thereby calling for some silly undoing of plain speech but for a realization that God is the reality and things down here are the shadow.

Source: Gottesdienst Online: Call no man father...the definitive post

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,110.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a difference between holding a man in esteem as a spritual father and simply titling a man as Father. I find it curious that my Catholic friends cannot bring themselves to refer to their priest by either his surname or given name, but always call him "Father". When my own father was living I never used "Father" in reference to him in casual conversation; rather, I would sometimes say, my father . . .

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between holding a man in esteem as a spritual father and simply titling a man as Father. I find it curious that my Catholic friends cannot bring themselves to refer to their priest by either his surname or given name, but always call him "Father". When my own father was living I never used "Father" in reference to him in casual conversation; rather, I would sometimes say, my father . . .
We should not think of ourselves as children of men.

Upvote 0