United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also gasoline.

Clearly, nobody is buying bags of raw grain off the shelves.

It's interesting that the cost of corn is so low that it's cheaper than grass for cattle feed. That's why there has been a flip-flop of prices between grass-fed and grain-fed beef. Since biblical times, grain-fed beef had always been expensive (that's the "fatted calf" of scripture). But now, since only the 80s it's grass-fed beef that's cheaper.

Price subsidies to the grain industry combined with higher property taxes have made free-ranging cattle ranching less profitable than feedlot "ranching."

Don't conflate "free-ranging" (cow/cafe production) with "feedlot" ('finishing') cattle operations. They are both part of a system of producing beef. "Grass-fed" simply means finishing on grass instead of grain. Presently much grass-fed beef is imported as we lack the quality and quantity of grassland acreage to supply the domestic market.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't conflate "free-ranging" (cow/cafe production) with "feedlot" ('finishing') cattle operations. They are both part of a system of producing beef. "Grass-fed" simply means finishing on grass instead of grain.

We look for "grass fed, grass finished" ourselves...never on a feedlot.

Presently much grass-fed beef is imported as we lack the quality and quantity of grassland acreage to supply the domestic market.

That's what I said. But there is still a lot of grass-fed, grass-finished beef available. We also eat a lot of buffalo, which is always grass-fed, grass-finished.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was in foster care. I was forced to eat everything on my plate. We went Shakey's pizza, they put enough food for 4 people. Then the wife tried to make eat all of it. Even left me there. She was a monster. But the husband said enough is enough. When I was close to being done. I guess when you're being raised by people, that are extremely obese. But typically, we had to eat everything on our plates.

• Prayers
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When I was in foster care. I was forced to eat everything on my plate. We went Shakey's pizza, they put enough food for 4 people. Then the wife tried to make eat all of it. Even left me there. She was a monster. But the husband said enough is enough. When I was close to being done. I guess when you're being raised by people, that are extremely obese. But typically, we had to eat everything on our plates.

Sorry to hear this. This kind of stuff will leave scars in your soul for life, I think. But there is always possibility for healing.

• Agree
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Adults work all day. It can take willpower to exercise on a consistent basis & cook healthy meals. I’m a lot better in the summer, but during the winter it’s almost exclusively on weekends other than going for walks.

Those who don’t have no excuse.

I’m always surprised when people talk about teens weighing more. When I was in high school, seemed like everyone played 5 sports all year.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We look for "grass fed, grass finished" ourselves...never on a feedlot.

That's what I said. But there is still a lot of grass-fed, grass-finished beef available. We also eat a lot of buffalo, which is always grass-fed, grass-finished.

My daughter gave me some venison from New Zealand. It is lean and tastes more like beef than domestic venison. Ground buffalo as well as grass fed beef burger is also available where I shop but I haven't tried it yet. Very expensive.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Adults work all day. It can take willpower to exercise on a consistent basis & cook healthy meals. I’m a lot better in the summer, but during the winter it’s almost exclusively on weekends other than going for walks.

Those who don’t have no excuse.

I’m always surprised when people talk about teens weighing more. When I was in high school, seemed like everyone played 5 sports all year.

It takes planning and a small chest freezer (no daily defrosting, which allows stuff to partially thaw in conventional frig/freezer).

I'm also of the belief that most people need more rest, not more exercise.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sometime in the late '60's or early 70's a kid drowned at one of our many beaches. His body was found beneath a pier, hidden from sight. In response our liberal city council decided that in the interest of safety all piers would be removed from all the beaches. Of course this meant that all diving boards would also be removed. They have never been restored. Our beaches are now nothing more than wading ponds for mothers and small children to splash around near the shore, empty of the hundreds of boys and girls that enjoyed the healthful activity of swimming and diving during our beautiful summers.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sometime in the late '60's or early 70's a kid drowned at one of our many beaches. His body was found beneath a pier, hidden from sight. In response our liberal city council decided that in the interest of safety all piers would be removed from all the beaches. Of course this meant that all diving boards would also be removed. They have never been restored. Our beaches are now nothing more than wading ponds for mothers and small children to splash around near the shore, empty of the hundreds of boys and girls that enjoyed the healthful activity of swimming and diving during our beautiful summers.
Interesting. What city is this?
I live by Lake Michigan & teens love jumping off the pier into the lake.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. What city is this?
I live by Lake Michigan & teens love jumping off the pier into the lake.

Madison, WI

Also of interest are the frequent beach closings due to high levels of poisonous blue-green algae, the result of the city's refusal to care for the lakes for the benefit of the general public.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Americans are addicted to convenience. Most of the food flying off the shelves are frozen and easy to prepare items. I’ve seen that consistently in shortage snapshots around the country.

The Holy Spirit forbade me from going to Trader Joe’s years ago for this reason. He said it wasn’t real cooking and the ease was a bad habit to feed. I’ve had culinary training. Aptitude isn’t a problem.

He doubled down on natural methods and doing things the old fashioned way. He took away bread, pastries, snacks, etc. I had to make them myself or get them from a local source like a bakery.

I didn’t realize what He was up to at the time. He recalibrated our palate and emphasized seasonal eating. We got accustomed to fresh food grown locally and quality was foremost.

He had me doing everything from scratch. We were so green my friend called me crunchy. I didn’t know what it meant. But now I understand why He did it. He knew this day was coming and prepared us beforehand.

I expect to see two groups in the coming days. One will be healthier. Their pocket will require them to dial back. That will result in better options.

The other will be forced to adapt or struggle. They’ll need to acquire the skills they lack to keep expenses down. Maybe they’ll be healthier in the long run.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It takes planning and a small chest freezer (no daily defrosting, which allows stuff to partially thaw in conventional frig/freezer).

I'm also of the belief that most people need more rest, not more exercise.

Proper rest does have a place in maintaining weight and health, in that it reduces the hormone cortisol, the stress hormone. Eating while the body is high with cortisol will increase fat gain. That's why eating while stressed (such as at the desk while at work) will cause weight gain.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Proper rest does have a place in maintaining weight and health, in that it reduces the hormone cortisol, the stress hormone. Eating while the body is high with cortisol will increase fat gain. That's why eating while stressed (such as at the desk while at work) will cause weight gain.

In many homes mealtime is the most stressful time of day for many. Lots of drama takes place at the dinner table. Not good for the digestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In many homes mealtime is the most stressful time of day for many. Lots of drama takes place at the dinner table. Not good for the digestion.

In America, that's largely because mealtimes are not given enough time to be events in themselves. They're merely transition zones from one activity to another.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A lot of medications cause people to gain weight. Antidepressants are the most often mentioned culprits. So, many people feel depressed, take a pill, and the pill directly or indirectly makes them weigh more, which impacts their self-perception and makes them feel sluggish. They would probably do better to walk outside and get some sunlight, but they may have very busy schedules that don't allow for it.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Grass-fed implies their diet is primarily grass. Some are fed grain in colder months as a supplement. The distinction is noted when you buy from a farmer.

We don’t lack pasture for grazing. Grain is cheaper and profit is their motive. Grass-fed beef is a premium product and you can taste the difference. The same holds true for dairy.

When you understand animal husbandry you’ll see the brilliance of God’s creation. Every part is usable. But manufacturers choose unhealthy and inferior options to make money.

For example, cow fat (tallow/suet) is wonderful in soap. But you won’t find it on the shelves. You’ll have to make it yourself or visit a specialty retailer.

Organ meat is commonly fed to pets. You can diy kibbles and dog treats and save on vet expenses.

Commercial agriculture is a money pit (for consumers) and a cash cow for them.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The more I study the issue, the more I am convinced it is due to a healthcare system that is based on profit rather than serving the general population. Profit-based systems naturally accrue inefficiencies, and even frank grifting and dishonesty. There's a reason that doctors are among one of the profile professions for psychopaths- they are attracted by the promise of wealth and power.

Upvote 0