• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why am I thinking about killing my dog?

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I feel great sadness upon seeing roadkill. I hate it. I used to think that it would be sinful to kill an animal unless it were absolutely necessary, but I admit I was wrong. I care very much for my dog, but at the same time I am aware that I could kill all of them and it wouldn't be a sin (some people would say it'd be fine so long as they were eaten but that's besides the point).

I think I keep thinking of killer her because I don't want to love something that is worth little to nothing to God. If God is fine with animals being killed, and if an animal doesn't experience an afterlife, then doesn't that mean it doesn't matter whether or not an animal has a happy life or a miserable one?

• Friendly
Reactions: RoseforChrist

Yanni depp

Est. 1986
Jun 8, 2017
BC
✟71,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
if an animal doesn't experience an afterlife, then doesn't that mean it doesn't matter whether or not an animal has a happy life or a miserable one?
Dont kill the puppy, friend. Its illegal. And youd probably feel bad afterwards as well. If a relationship with a dog solely develops our own character throughout our lives, i would say it isnt fruitless to love them. Try talking to a doctor about these things and find out how they could help you. God bless.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God delights in the creation, including the animals; look at how many times in Genesis 1 the creation was called "good". Your dog is a wonderful creature, and you have been given the gift of time with your dog. Don't shorten your dog's life. Enjoy the time you have together.

I agree with Yanni depp: Talk to a counsellor about this if you need to. In the meantime, don't do anything you'll deeply regret later.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Proverbs 12:10 tells us that the righteous man regards the life of his animal. And 2Tim talks about men losing natural affection in the last days. When God created the animals, He pronounced it "good". When He created man, it was "very good". God then rested, because everything He wanted to do was done, and done perfectly.

So I don't believe it's true that God doesn't care about the life of animals. He placed us over them, and we should rule them in a way that reflects His just and kind rule. Yes, He allows us to eat them, but pets, which carry emotional attachments, are a different story.

As for the afterlife, Isaiah is clear that the animals will dwell with man in the peaceable kingdom. And Jesus returns on a white horse.

So I would say do not kill your pet. If you don't want it, or if after careful consideration you truly feel it is a distraction from God, find a new owner for her.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel great sadness upon seeing roadkill. I hate it. I used to think that it would be sinful to kill an animal unless it were absolutely necessary, but I admit I was wrong. I care very much for my dog, but at the same time I am aware that I could kill all of them and it wouldn't be a sin (some people would say it'd be fine so long as they were eaten but that's besides the point).

I think I keep thinking of killer her because I don't want to love something that is worth little to nothing to God. If God is fine with animals being killed, and if an animal doesn't experience an afterlife, then doesn't that mean it doesn't matter whether or not an animal has a happy life or a miserable one?

You can't love your dog more than God does; it isn't possible.

Don't kill the dog. It would indeed be a sin. Talk to your doctor about these thoughts; it may be that you could benefit from talking them through. If you don't have a doctor then talk to your minister. You are assuming things about God that simply are not true. God is love, and that includes love for animals.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry you are feeling so down and confused about our Creator.

I'll let you in on a little secret most people don't know.

The word 'dog' in Hebrew is Calev or Kalev or Caleb.

Yes there was a man in the Bible named Caleb and he was one of the two spies that was ready to do what God wanted while the other 10 were afraid.

The word in Hebrew is a compound word

Ka and Lev

Lev is the word for heart

And Ka means 'like' as in compared to

When you put them together you get

'Like a heart'

You can also read it where the lamed or 'L' is shared

Kal means whole or 'all'
And again add the heart and you get

'Whole -hearted'

Dogs out of all the animals God created are like how we should be towards God.

They are faithful, protective, devoted, brave, and their whole world revolves around you. All they want is for you to love them and treat them kindly and they will give you their all.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Admin Hat

Just a reminder that recovery does not allow debate nor theological discussions on topics. Please keep this in mind while responding to this thread.

Thank you for being supportive to each other in your responses.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I don't believe it's true that God doesn't care about the life of animals. He placed us over them, and we should rule them in a way that reflects His just and kind rule. Yes, He allows us to eat them, but pets, which carry emotional attachments, are a different story.

No, pets can be eaten like any other animal. Eating carnivores seems strange to most humans. I wonder what the responses to this post would have been if I said I had a pet donkey, sheep, or cow and was feeling conflicted on eating it.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
God directly stated he cares for animals in the last verse of Jonah, when he said, "And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not know their right hand fro their left, and also many animals?"

God cares very much for all of his creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God directly stated he cares for animals in the last verse of Jonah, when he said, "And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not know their right hand fro their left, and also many animals?"

God cares very much for all of his creation.
I do find Jonah 4 strange. I suppose God wouldn't want to have killed a large number of animals without them being exploited for the needs and wants of humans. It's fine to kill any animal and eat it. God does care about animals, but not much.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is not Law that says "Thou shalt not kill your pet". But it is telling of your character. As it is written (Proverbs 12:10) "The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

Upvote 0