Why all the Election changes?

Why are Republicans passing/trying to pass so many voting bills.

• To increase confidence in the electoral system

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • To limit voters

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • Other....please elaborate in comments.

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not quite clever enough to come up with a lot of options; only two really as I see only these two as being the most important options:

As for my opinions:
To increase confidence in the electoral system
It should be clear to anyone with a brain in the skull box that MANY of their bills and changes really don't do anything that DIRECTLY affects the integrity of the system.
eg: Iowa's new rules:
Shorten polling station hours (9pm to 8pm)
Reduce number of early voting days from 29 to 20
Neither of these rules should have ANY impact on increasing the integrity of an election. It makes no sense.

To limit voters
It has been made very VERY clear to Republicans that having and increase in voter turn out will have a VERY deliterious affect on their party's performance. A Republican lawyer in front of the Supreme Court essentially said as much. Clearly this is party extremely worried about more and more Americans expressing votes.

This source is left leaning but here is a fairly comprehensive list of the bills and contents:
Voting Laws Roundup: February 2021

Jun 2, 2019
Somewhere
✟30,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not quite clever enough to come up with a lot of options; only two really as I see only these two as being the most important options:

As for my opinions:
To increase confidence in the electoral system
It should be clear to anyone with a brain in the skull box that MANY of their bills and changes really don't do anything that DIRECTLY affects the integrity of the system.
eg: Iowa's new rules:
Shorten polling station hours (9pm to 8pm)
Reduce number of early voting days from 29 to 20
Neither of these rules should have ANY impact on increasing the integrity of an election. It makes no sense.

To limit voters
It has been made very VERY clear to Republicans that having and increase in voter turn out will have a VERY deliterious affect on their party's performance. A Republican lawyer in front of the Supreme Court essentially said as much. Clearly this is party extremely worried about more and more Americans expressing votes.

This source is left leaning but here is a fairly comprehensive list of the bills and contents:
Voting Laws Roundup: February 2021

My understanding is that it's to help make elections more secure. Voter confidence in the system is important but it comes second to having a system that actually works well. I'm a conservative but not a loyal Republican, and I think all citizens should be able to vote once for every of their district's elections. I also think that voter fraud COULD be a real problem, no conclusive evidence yet but there is also little to no evidence proving that the election system is secure from it.

I am disappointed in Republicans if they actually want some citizens to not be able to vote, what they should be doing is trying to actually offer a better policy than Democrats.

• Agree
Reactions: Direct Driver
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
My understanding is that it's to help make elections more secure. Voter confidence in the system is important but it comes second to having a system that actually works well. I'm a conservative but not a loyal Republican, and I think all citizens should be able to vote once for every of their district's elections. I also think that voter fraud COULD be a real problem, no conclusive evidence yet but there is also little to no evidence proving that the election system is secure from it.

I am disappointed in Republicans if they actually want some citizens to not be able to vote, what they should be doing is trying to actually offer a better policy than Democrats.

You might want to prepare to be disappointed Trump says Republicans would ‘never’ be elected again if it was easier to vote

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Dynadin

Mar 11, 2018
Tifton
✟128,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's pretty obvious. Too many of the 'wrong' people voted here in Georgia. Therefore, instead of changing their politics, and move forward the inch or so it would take to attract more voters, the Republican party has decided that those 'wrong' people be disenfranchised as much as possible. However, Georgia has Stacey Abrams, and they should know better.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think it's pretty obvious. Too many of the 'wrong' people voted here in Georgia. Therefore, instead of changing their politics, and move forward the inch or so it would take to attract more voters, the Republican party has decided that those 'wrong' people be disenfranchised as much as possible. However, Georgia has Stacey Abrams, and they should know better.

Hopefully, telling people that you don't want them voting will inspire more and more of them to vote.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Limiting voters isn't inherently an evil thing.

It is however an inherently undemocratic thing. If you don't want to live in a democracy, which system would you prefer?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because the GOP can't win the presidency without suppression. They would barely be able to win Gubernatorial elections without suppression.... I mean, really the house would be the only place they would have much presence.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟132,797.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And by "wrong" you mean ineligible to vote for various reasons. Stacey Abrams wants those people to vote early and vote often.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And by "wrong" you mean ineligible to vote for various reasons. Stacey Abrams wants those people to vote early and vote often.

Nope Republicans are pushing legislation to make it harder for eligible voters to vote.

They are targeting minorities and the poor.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, "wrong" in this case being not eligible to vote because of not being Trump supporters. Being legally eligible to vote is not enough.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Is that poll, and the presumption that lies behind it, ever mistaken!

The proposed legislation that is referred to is being considered because of Democratic legislatures and state officials changing the election laws last year in order to guarantee their victory in the 2020 elections, and much of those changes opened the system to vote fraud.

Get that? The question of the thread has this turn of events exactly backwards!

But of course, that is the line that the party in power is running with (and successfully fooling a lot of people, apparently!).

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Nope Republicans are pushing legislation to make it harder for eligible voters to vote.

They are targeting minorities and the poor.
At least they're trying to. Since mail voting in PA and GA was initially put in by Republicans, it's at least possible that they're panicking because of the last election, and making changes that will backfire. I think the impact will depend upon how in-person voting is done. If they don't provide enough places to vote in Democratic areas, and close the polls when there are lines waiting to vote (note that under the GA law it requires a court order to extend hours), it will have an effect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Is that poll, and the presumption that lies behind it, ever mistaken!

The proposed legislation that is referred to is being considered because of
Democratic legislatures and state officials changing the election laws last year in order to guarantee their victory in the 2020 elections, and much of those changes opened the system to vote fraud.
No, I'm afraid you are going to have to come up with a more plausible rationalization. That one has been thoroughly exposed as right-wing propaganda.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm afraid you are going to have to come up with a more plausible rationalization. That one has been thoroughly exposed as right-wing propaganda.
Name-calling cannot make the false claims posted here magically become true. We can do without all the attempts at diversion, in fact.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You just keep on telling yourself that.
Rather, it's that somebody needs to shed some light of truth on the disinformation that this thread has, perhaps unintentionally, invited.

But if there is "another side" to the matter, someone can post it. So far, it's all airy and unproven slander, some even to the point of being ridiculous.

Upvote 0