Why Abortion should never be Outlawed!! (an honest, personal eperience) TRUTH!!!!

MyrokRolles

Aug 19, 2011
✟15,112.00
Faith
Deist
Let me start off by saying I don't think that abortion is a human "right" or that it is a "privilege" for those who can afford it... and those that abuse the system to abort a perfectly healthy child just because it is going to derail their life plan are making a terrible decision that i hope one day they will be held responsible

HOWEVER.... please let me explain, through a recent personal experience, why I suddenly have what i feel is an objectively correct stance on the issue of abortion

first of all... my stance...

To argue that abortion should be made illegal for any reason (religous or non-religous), or to argue that abortion is a "sin" is completely foolish and obliviously ignorant to the facts of Life.

now.. my story....

About eight months ago, my Sister (who is 24 years old) was impregnated by her future husband to be (they were engaged at the time and are now happily married.) Everything was going smoothly for the first month and they were ecstatic to be having their first child. My sister has been in the child-care business her whole life, and she was thrilled that she was going to get the chance to raise a child of her own. About a month and a half into the pregnancy the first problems started to be seen by her Doctor. I don't remember the name of the disorder, but the fetus was failing to develop the main valve in it's heart. The doctor let her know that it was sitll early on and that there was a chance it was just not developing yet, but around the 2 month mark it was clear that the babie's heart was not developing properly. The doctors informed my sister that this is a life threatning disorder, because the brain of the fetus would not be able to develope without the proper circulation provided via the heart. The doctors informed her that when she gave birth to the child it would be likely that either

a) the child would already be dead from a lack of oxygen and circulation during the stages of developement
b) the child would be born alive but would die almost instantly
c) the child would have to be rushed into heart surgery immediately and the lack of oxygen supplied to the brain would have caused numerous mental and physical challenges for the remainder of the childs life

overall, they gave the child a 20% chance of being born alive, and a practically 0% chance of living a healthy life.

So my sister was forced to make a decision.

She made the decision that it was in the best interest of the child's well being as well as her own well being to have an abortion.

To this day she says it will forever be the hardest thing she has ever had to do.

To make matter's worse, because of all of the political debates surrounding the issue, the health insurance companies do not cover abortion as a necessary medical procedure. My sister had to get a $10,000 loan which she will be paying back for years (she is currently getting her masters degree and her loans are starting to pile up) in order to have the child aborted.

Now.... for all of you "abortion is the devils act" people, and all of you Rick Perry supporters...

What do you have to say for your argument?

Do you honestly believe that my Sister should have been forced to risk her life to give birth to a dead or dying child?

Do you honestly believe that her acts were a "sin"?

please, enlighten me.

*For the Record*

I was a christian until i was 12 years old, went to church every sunday and wednesday and had faith in the religion....

But i started to learn how to think for myself and decided a long time ago that christianity, like most religions, is a private business built to prey on the weak and the willing. Also, i believe that the objective occurrences related to religion all around the world (not just christianity) have spread much more harm than good.

I still believe in God, but not some God defined in a million different contradictions in ancient text.

We are mere animals, there is no reason why we should believe that we have the power to define God. To think otherwise is childish.

< staff edit > < staff edit >
If you have a good argument to rebuddle an honest and personal experience...

please, enlighten me.

Otherwise, stop fighting to outlaw abortion, because you are ignorant to the experiences of many like my Sister.

please, enlighten me.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brightmorningstar

Well seeing as the issue isnt what we 'abortion is the devils act' people object to and call pro-choice, I am not sure what your point is.

Do you honestly believe that my Sister should have been forced to risk her life to give birth to a dead or dying child?
No. The objection is pro-choice, this is not a situation of her choice.

Upvote 0
G

good brother

When my wife was pregnant with our son, we went to the doctor for prenatal care. At nine weeks, I saw him move around inside her and I heard his heartbeat. Nine weeks. During that very same visit, the doctor asked if we wanted to have a test done at 14 weeks to test for Down Syndrome so we would have plenty of time to "terminate" the life we had just seen on the ultrasound monitor. She wanted to know if we would want to stop the heartbeat we had just listened to. We told her that in no uncertain terms we were not going to "terminate" him no matter what disease he may have. How can anyone argue that an unborn child is not when it is so easy to hear their beating hearts?

Two weeks ago today I held my son in my arms for the first time after we had to rush my wife into surgery for an emergency C-section. My son and my wife are doing good. Praise the LORD for that.

Do I feel for your sister? Absolutely. I am sorry that she had to make a choice like that. I am sorry she could not have the same happy ending my wife and I celebrate. I am sorry for the pain that she and her husband and the extended family must be going through now. I am very sorry. Do I think abortion is still wrong in light of your sister's story? Yes. Do I think there is forgiveness in Jesus Christ? Yes, yes, yes. I would implore your sister ask forgiveness of Him. I don't want to come across as a holier than anyone else, because I am not. Trust me on that one. I have made many mistakes that I know have been forgiven by the grace and mercy of God when I sought Him out. I know the freedoms that is found in forgiveness and I would tell everyone else, no matter what the sin, seek the LORD's forgiveness.

I really hope this doesn't come across as anything other than heartfelt sympathy, because that is how I feel. I have no idea of what your sister or her husband are going through and I am really not trying to sound anything other than caring.

In Christ's love, GB

Upvote 0

KBD

Aug 23, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians need both more compassion and more thoughtfulness on this issue. Those of us strongly against abortion should be honest enough to admit that situations like the one outlined, though rare, do occur. Abortion laws should be tightened to stop abortion-as-birth -control but not completely outlawed just because of instance like the one above and where the mother's life is in danger, cases of rape, incest, mental/emotional health of the mother.
On a personal note, I hope you will hold to Jesus even as you dump the religion. There is too much foolish religiousity, but we still need Jesus in our life. My prayers for your sister and her family.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Lux et Lex,
Oh stop, of course she had a choice! The "good" and "Christianly" thing to do is to martyr yourself for your fetus.
I would reject all of that.
The example given is not pro-choice as the pro-life argues.
Why do these rare scenarios get mentioned all the time? It can only be to try and defer the arguments, frutstrate the discussion and avoid having to address questions that expose the pro-choice argument.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
< staff edit >
< staff edit > < staff edit > I'll address one inconsistency in your line of questions. You asked if your sister should have been forced to risk her life in order to have her baby. Nowhere did you ever state that the doctors told her that her life was in jeopardy if she carried to term; only that the baby would have little chance of survival to term and no chance of any long-term survival outside of the womb. Just because the baby is in danger doesn't mean the mother's life is at risk, just as there are cases in which the mother's life is in danger when there is nothing wrong with the baby.

And these stories aren't even conducive to the abortion debate. You would have presented a much better case if your story was about a sister who was going to college, had a brief fling with a young man and he dumped her when she found out she was pregnant. So, she decides to have an abortion, because it's simply not a good time for her to have a kid. Or she can't afford it. Or she simply doesn't want the hassle of it at that point in her life.

In fact, according to an AGI survey among post-abortive women only 6% cited medical reasons (mother and/or baby) as the reason for termination. 1% was for rape or incest. The remaining 93% cited reasons such as, "partner or parents convinced me" and "not ready for the responsibility". In fact, a staggering 42% of women cited not ready for the responsibility or can't afford a child as the reason for termination. 12% said they got pregnant during a period of relationship problems and didn't want to be a single parent, if a break-up/divorce were a possibility. 16% of women surveyed said they were concerned about how a child would alter their lifestyle. And this wasn't some crazy, biased anti-abortion group conducted survey. This was the Alan Guttmacher Institute.

Most pro-life individuals recognize that a small percentage a women face dire medical circumstances during the course of their pregnancy and, occasionally, are faced with a difficult decision. I don't know of many pro-life people who would tell a woman with a tubal pregnancy that she should simply bleed to death for an embryo that will never develop outside of the fallopian tube or a woman with a stillborn baby inside of her that it should just stay in her uterus and cause her womb to become infected. These women are the women who fall into the extremely rare 6% category of women who really wanted to have their babies, but medical complications prohibited that. Nobody blames these women or thinks they should be ashamed of themselves or feel badly about their decision.

We're talking about the 93% who casually decide a baby would just be too much of a hassle or it would cramp their lifestyle or because they have a crappy boyfriend who threatens to break up with them if they don't terminate, so they pick keeping their boyfriend over having the baby. That's treating human life with so little compassion, so little care, so little thought. Women who wanted their children, but couldn't carry to term for medical reasons, understand the gravity of having human life inside your body and having it ripped away in a single moment. The trauma of leaving a hospital with empty arms and an empty womb. There's nothing casual about that.

Upvote 0

mdancin4theLord

Jul 23, 2011
Arizona
✟1,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me start off by saying I don't think that abortion is a human "right" or that it is a "privilege" for those who can afford it... and those that abuse the system to abort a perfectly healthy child just because it is going to derail their life plan are making a terrible decision that i hope one day they will be held responsible

HOWEVER.... please let me explain, through a recent personal experience, why I suddenly have what i feel is an objectively correct stance on the issue of abortion

first of all... my stance...

To argue that abortion should be made illegal for any reason (religous or non-religous), or to argue that abortion is a "sin" is completely foolish and obliviously ignorant to the facts of Life.

now.. my story....

About eight months ago, my Sister (who is 24 years old) was impregnated by her future husband to be (they were engaged at the time and are now happily married.) Everything was going smoothly for the first month and they were ecstatic to be having their first child. My sister has been in the child-care business her whole life, and she was thrilled that she was going to get the chance to raise a child of her own. About a month and a half into the pregnancy the first problems started to be seen by her Doctor. I don't remember the name of the disorder, but the fetus was failing to develop the main valve in it's heart. The doctor let her know that it was sitll early on and that there was a chance it was just not developing yet, but around the 2 month mark it was clear that the babie's heart was not developing properly. The doctors informed my sister that this is a life threatning disorder, because the brain of the fetus would not be able to develope without the proper circulation provided via the heart. The doctors informed her that when she gave birth to the child it would be likely that either

a) the child would already be dead from a lack of oxygen and circulation during the stages of developement
b) the child would be born alive but would die almost instantly
c) the child would have to be rushed into heart surgery immediately and the lack of oxygen supplied to the brain would have caused numerous mental and physical challenges for the remainder of the childs life

overall, they gave the child a 20% chance of being born alive, and a practically 0% chance of living a healthy life.

So my sister was forced to make a decision.

She made the decision that it was in the best interest of the child's well being as well as her own well being to have an abortion.

To this day she says it will forever be the hardest thing she has ever had to do.

To make matter's worse, because of all of the political debates surrounding the issue, the health insurance companies do not cover abortion as a necessary medical procedure. My sister had to get a $10,000 loan which she will be paying back for years (she is currently getting her masters degree and her loans are starting to pile up) in order to have the child aborted.

Now.... for all of you "abortion is the devils act" people, and all of you Rick Perry supporters...

What do you have to say for your argument?

Do you honestly believe that her acts were a "sin"?

please, enlighten me.

*For the Record*

I was a christian until i was 12 years old, went to church every sunday and wednesday and had faith in the religion....

But i started to learn how to think for myself and decided a long time ago that christianity, like most religions, is a private business built to prey on the weak and the willing. Also, i believe that the objective occurrences related to religion all around the world (not just christianity) have spread much more harm than good.

I still believe in God, but not some God defined in a million different contradictions in ancient text.

We are mere animals, there is no reason why we should believe that we have the power to define God. To think otherwise is childish.

< staff edit >

If you have a good argument to rebuddle an honest and personal experience...

please, enlighten me.

Otherwise, stop fighting to outlaw abortion, because you are ignorant to the experiences of many like my Sister.

please, enlighten me.

I am truely sorry that your sister had to go through what she did...but she will have to not only cope with the loss of the child, but the fact that she did kill it. No other way around this, it is what it is. Abortion is killing that which lives in the womb, however perfect or imperfect that it is.

Your sisters life was not threatened however. They obviously did not want an imperfect child and decided that they could not cope with any health issues the child MIGHT HAVE FACED. I have a mentally handicapped brother in law who is a joy to our family. I cant imagine life without him. Some people however obviously would rather have a handicapped person be aborted than have to do what it takes to raise a special need child. There are abortions done on babies simply because they have a cleft palate.

My story. My sister was pregnant nineteen years ago....and had to give birth to my niece at 23 1/2 weeks. The doctors told her the child would be brain damaged and suffer terrible consequences if they did not remove her from life support. They did not unhook her and she stayed in the hospital for 9 months. She was also on a national Red Cross Calendar that featured stories like her.

Today she is going to an Ivy League school after graduating Valedictorian from her high school class. She is brilliant....unbelievably normal...oh yea, she has to wear contacts. Many children are given terrible odds....but my sister and her husband put her in Gods hands. They wanted to give her ANY OPPORTUNITY AT LIFE. They also love children and did not want to unhook her to save them the inconvenience it MIGHT take to take care of her should she be a special needs child.

No one has the right to kill a living human being based on their needs and wants, not even your sister. It is murder, I can share it no other way, simply to make someone feel good about the decision they made.

Life is the correct stance...not killing, not an act so immoral as to dismember the unborn alive. you do not have to believe in God to know abortion is murder and wrong. I don't care if it has half a brain, twenty legs, or no arms or legs....what gives you or anyone else the right to decide.

Today people only think about themselves......what is best for them and because of it, life is disposable, not valued. When push comes to shove then, they are big talkers.....they love children but heaven help them if the one they might have is imperfect. Abortion is a selfless act. And if you are a Christian, the scriptures do not condone it. You can look, hunt for Gods approval but its not there. It is cut and dry....with God.

I truely am sorry for what your sister went through.....and what she will carry with her the rest of her life. That is not easy when you know you killed a living human being. This issue can't be candy coated...it is what it is, abortion is killing.

And don't tell me to stop standing up for the unborn, who do you think you are?. Less than 1% of all abortions are done for reasons like your sisters, they are done for SOCIAL REASONS. You need to get educated....start with Guttmaucher Institute.

As for your lack of faith in God. Maybe you never were a believer.......you said you had faith in a religion and any Christian knows....faith is in a person...Jesus Christ. It is no wonder you bash then THE RELIGION. Goind to church going through the motions do not make you a Christian...no more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Upvote 0

mdancin4theLord

Jul 23, 2011
Arizona
✟1,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
< staff edit > < staff edit > I'll address one inconsistency in your line of questions. You asked if your sister should have been forced to risk her life in order to have her baby. Nowhere did you ever state that the doctors told her that her life was in jeopardy if she carried to term; only that the baby would have little chance of survival to term and no chance of any long-term survival outside of the womb. Just because the baby is in danger doesn't mean the mother's life is at risk, just as there are cases in which the mother's life is in danger when there is nothing wrong with the baby.

And these stories aren't even conducive to the abortion debate. You would have presented a much better case if your story was about a sister who was going to college, had a brief fling with a young man and he dumped her when she found out she was pregnant. So, she decides to have an abortion, because it's simply not a good time for her to have a kid. Or she can't afford it. Or she simply doesn't want the hassle of it at that point in her life.

In fact, according to an AGI survey among post-abortive women only 6% cited medical reasons (mother and/or baby) as the reason for termination. 1% was for rape or incest. The remaining 93% cited reasons such as, "partner or parents convinced me" and "not ready for the responsibility". In fact, a staggering 42% of women cited not ready for the responsibility or can't afford a child as the reason for termination. 12% said they got pregnant during a period of relationship problems and didn't want to be a single parent, if a break-up/divorce were a possibility. 16% of women surveyed said they were concerned about how a child would alter their lifestyle. And this wasn't some crazy, biased anti-abortion group conducted survey. This was the Alan Guttmacher Institute.

Most pro-life individuals recognize that a small percentage a women face dire medical circumstances during the course of their pregnancy and, occasionally, are faced with a difficult decision. I don't know of many pro-life people who would tell a woman with a tubal pregnancy that she should simply bleed to death for an embryo that will never develop outside of the fallopian tube or a woman with a stillborn baby inside of her that it should just stay in her uterus and cause her womb to become infected. These women are the women who fall into the extremely rare 6% category of women who really wanted to have their babies, but medical complications prohibited that. Nobody blames these women or thinks they should be ashamed of themselves or feel badly about their decision.

We're talking about the 93% who casually decide a baby would just be too much of a hassle or it would cramp their lifestyle or because they have a crappy boyfriend who threatens to break up with them if they don't terminate, so they pick keeping their boyfriend over having the baby. That's treating human life with so little compassion, so little care, so little thought. Women who wanted their children, but couldn't carry to term for medical reasons, understand the gravity of having human life inside your body and having it ripped away in a single moment. The trauma of leaving a hospital with empty arms and an empty womb. There's nothing casual about that.

Bravo..........Blessings to you...........excellent post. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mdancin4theLord

Jul 23, 2011
Arizona
✟1,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christians need both more compassion and more thoughtfulness on this issue. Those of us strongly against abortion should be honest enough to admit that situations like the one outlined, though rare, do occur. Abortion laws should be tightened to stop abortion-as-birth -control but not completely outlawed just because of instance like the one above and where the mother's life is in danger, cases of rape, incest, mental/emotional health of the mother.
On a personal note, I hope you will hold to Jesus even as you dump the religion. There is too much foolish religiousity, but we still need Jesus in our life. My prayers for your sister and her family.

But.........this mothers life was not in danger...she simply did not want the inconvenience of possibly having a handicapped child. The child would probably have died at birth or before that...and in that case, she would have had the child without dismembering it alive, which happened. Abortion is the act of killing.........this child was killed.

Upvote 0

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT ON

Thread moved from Christian Philosophy & Ethics. The thread has also undergone a slight cleanup, if you find your post(s) has been removed or edited it is because it was victim to the cleanup. Also, please remember to abide by CF's Sitewide Rules.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smileandtheworld

Ambassador to stranger things.
May 30, 2011
Aberdeen.
✟7,770.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've known too many people that were told that their baby was going to be born dead, deformed, die soon after birth, etc...then went one to have a perfectly normal child. Dr's are not always correct. Many times, they are wrong. Those I know that have had a high needs child or one that died within a year of birth and spent most of their life in the hospital with that child, do not regret having had that child. In fact, they would tell you that they would rather grieve losing that child than having not known their child at all.

BTW, I've had difficult pregnancies that could have cost me my life. I've given birth to a dead baby and held that child in my hands. I've been there. I still wouldn't abort. One of my pregnancies was so drastic, that I could understand why some would just wish it to end. However, I have a beautiful 13yr daughter to show for bearing through it. The best things aren't always the easiest.

Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I agree that they shouldn't be outlawed.

Fetal surgery is possible for some conditions and I think that is something to look into, if possible. Getting a second, and maybe a third opinion is advisable as well.

I hope you sister and her husband are doing well.

Upvote 0

NDNgirl4ever

LPN, Vegan Hippie Freak, and Tony Orlando and Dawn
Sep 12, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟8,598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I know that the case in the original post wasn't a life threatening pregnancy. However, I will say this in response to some of the other posts: no one has the right to force a woman to go through a life threatening pregnancy. If a woman chooses to take the risk and carry to term, more power to her. If she chooses to abort, then that is her right as well and no one should make her feel bad for it. She does have a right to save her own life.
While I hope and pray that I am never faced with that decision, I'll admit that if I found out that a pregnancy was likely to kill me, I'd probably give abortion some very serious thought.

Dr's are not always correct. Many times, they are wrong.
That is true, and there are many tests that are not conclusive. That being said, I get the impression (and admittedly, I could be wrong) from the OP that there was no doubt that the diagnosis was correct.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
✟8,473.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just think of all the times the test and doctors have been wrong, telling parents their baby would be this or that and on delivery day, either God performed a miracle, or these doctors and their test are flawed, I just wonder how many perfectly healthy kids are misdiagnosed and terminated for these same reasons.......what a tragedy

Upvote 0