• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Why a Parishioner Uprising in Portland Backfired

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Davidnic, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,320
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Those parishioners were and are off their rocker. The whole thing was absurd.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Yep.

4. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,378
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Well, what else can you say except "It's Portland on the West Coast". So they're about 25 years ahead of Portland ME, on the East Coast.

Good thing God's Early Warning system is still working!

5. Skittles

Skittles New Member

+42
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The fruit of decades of bad catechesis

6. Fenwick

Fenwick LET'S GO IRISH

+6,627
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    The fact that parish communities like these are even ALLOWED TO EXIST in the first place should be offensive to anyone with Catholic sensibilities. I wish the Pope would anathematize everything those parishioners stand for.

Regarding the "Catholic women's strike" that they were threatening, I'd love to see some orthodox Catholics from elsewhere in the diocese step in to help in whatever areas of the parish would be neglected by their absence. Maybe even let them go as employees or refuse their volunteer service going forward.

Wicked woman. The Church is not a democracy, get used to it. She and her cohort are Episcopalians masquerading as Catholics. Disgusting.

Glad to see the diocese backing him. This should shut the door on everything for the protestors.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,877
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    By a molester of boys.

8. Michie

+23,320
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Is there any options for discipline or teaching for these disruptive parishioners?

9. Snoder

Snoder Member

+92
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I suppose that speaking with them would be the best option. People that are disruptive are expressing hurt.

10. Michie

+23,320
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't believe that to always be the case.

11. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+11,505
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    OK - I'd like to ask a few questions here , if you would permit me so to do.

The timeline , to me is confusing - I can't help feeling that something is missing , or I'm more stupid than I realise.

1) Fr Don Durand served in this Parish from 1970-1983 according to the CNN Story of Aug 14. Do we accept that as absolutely correct ?
    2) Fr Durand retired from active ministry in 2001 [ same source] and after a while his priestly faculties were removed. Again do we accept that as absolutely correct ?

Now getting up to date

3) Fr. Kuforiji, himself a Nigerian immigrant was ordained in 2015, taken from the CNA source on Aug 14 Again - do we accept that as correct ?
    4) Fr Kuforiji was installed as Pastor in 2018 [ again from the same CNA article ]

So who was caring for the Parish from 1983 [ 0r perhaps 2001 when Fr Durand retired ] until Fr Kuforiji arrived on the scene ?

12. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+476
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree. They are disruptive because of hate and pride in their heart.