San Antonio, TX
✟16,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I live in Texas and I voted Beto O'Rourke. You may be wondering how a Christian can vote for him.

First, let me tell you that I prayed for God's guidance, and the answer I received is that we as Christians should pray for, teach, mentor, and comfort those who are hurting and facing difficult choices, not try to wrest control from them. I'm not voting for abortion, I'm voting for women to be able to exercise the free will that God gave us all. I'm voting, knowing that we have a two party system and there will be limits set on that freedom. Just as Abbot has been limited by the democrats in congress, so will Beto be limited by the Republicans.

I also voted for Beto because, although I do believe he and the Democratic Party are too extreme, I also believe Abbot and the Republicans are also too extreme and it's time we leaned more towards giving those who were not born into middle and upper class families a better chance to work, to learn, and to succeed. I also know there will be caring Christians and people of other faiths who will work to help women and families find their way, as well as Doctors and other medical staff that will advise them as well, so they can make informed decisions.

Will the right choices always be made? No, but has that ever been the case? We were given free will and taking away someone's right to choose teaches them nothing. Learning from mistakes, and sharing what you’ve learned from those mistakes, does.

If you're truly faith-driven, rather than responding to the panic inciting rhetoric of politicians and the media, let us pray for those who are faced with such choices! Let us pray for politicians, and doctors! Let us pray for young men and women who are irresponsibly using sex as a cheap substitute for love and marriage. Let us pray for those who are victims of rape and incest, and also pray for those who are evil, disturbed, and closed off from God that would want to or have committed rape or other such evil acts.

Rather than fighting so hard to prevent abortion, which is just a symptom of our societal ills, let us rather focus on the true illness: a world where we have raised our children to be undisciplined, selfish, and overly emotional tyrants who are addicted to cheap thrills and instant gratification.

Have you listened to popular music? Have you heard how vulgar, how lewd it is? Have you done a simple search, mentioning just one key word like sex or a body part, and seen how many inappropriate content videos come up? It's shocking easily, too easy, and the only thing stopping young, impressionable children from seeing what they shouldn't is a simple check box that you click on to assert that you are "at least 18 years of age."

Let us fight to ban the easy access to inappropriate content, and to set standards for music and video. Let us volunteer and mentor young people who don't have strong father or mother figures in their lives. Let us teach our children respect and obedience, and not fall prey to the mindsets and beliefs that are displayed in popular culture, reality television, and the media. Instead let us teach them that happiness does not come from getting your way all the time, but rather from self-discipline, good work, mutual respect, and service to God and others.

So my fellow Christians, let us humbly pray for guidance, and pray for discernment. Pray for God to guide you and then give you the strength and faith to believe, to listen, and do God's will in this world and in your life. Vote and live as God calls you to live. Vote for your children and for our world and let no one dissuade you. Not even me!

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Americans especially like think that their religious affiliation should play a role in determining how they vote. No different from my country in a sense. And for some enlighten reason need to share their vote with others.

I'm a Christian and I'll be voting for the opposition party in my country's coming general elections. Let me tell why me as a Christian will be voting in this manner. The reason is being a Christian doesn't direct me to vote one way or the other. Me as a Malaysian will vote according to my interest in getting a better government.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
O’Rourke was asked if he believes the abortion issue is something that's going to draw people over to the Democrats. He answered by indicating he is expecting a statement at November’s midterm ballot box.

"This is essentially a referendum on whether we're going to go back literally half a century or whether this state is going to move forward," said O’Rourke.

Beto O'Rourke speaks on abortions, Texas border in interview

I can't support someone who wants to bring back, the taking tens of thousands of innocent lives every year, to Texas.

That's doesn't mean that Texans are deprived of the God given right to free will. It just means that there will be consequences for killing innocent babies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The media gadfly became so associated with confiscatory gun control that after bowing out of the race fellow candidate, and gun confiscation advocate, Joe Biden told a campaign rally that he was going to bring Beto to Washington “to take care of the gun problem.” Biden went on to add, “You’re going to be the one who leads this effort. I’m counting on ya.”

NRA-ILA | Beto is lying about guns again

Beto is out of step with Texas.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ed Parenteau

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
San Bernardino, CA
✟441,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in Texas and I voted Beto O'Rourke. You may be wondering how a Christian can vote for him.

First, let me tell you that I prayed for God's guidance, and the answer I received is that we as Christians should pray for, teach, mentor, and comfort those who are hurting and facing difficult choices, not try to wrest control from them. I'm not voting for abortion, I'm voting for women to be able to exercise the free will that God gave us all. I'm voting, knowing that we have a two party system and there will be limits set on that freedom. Just as Abbot has been limited by the democrats in congress, so will Beto be limited by the Republicans.

I also voted for Beto because, although I do believe he and the Democratic Party are too extreme, I also believe Abbot and the Republicans are also too extreme and it's time we leaned more towards giving those who were not born into middle and upper class families a better chance to work, to learn, and to succeed. I also know there will be caring Christians and people of other faiths who will work to help women and families find their way, as well as Doctors and other medical staff that will advise them as well, so they can make informed decisions.

Will the right choices always be made? No, but has that ever been the case? We were given free will and taking away someone's right to choose teaches them nothing. Learning from mistakes, and sharing what you’ve learned from those mistakes, does.

If you're truly faith-driven, rather than responding to the panic inciting rhetoric of politicians and the media, let us pray for those who are faced with such choices! Let us pray for politicians, and doctors! Let us pray for young men and women who are irresponsibly using sex as a cheap substitute for love and marriage. Let us pray for those who are victims of rape and incest, and also pray for those who are evil, disturbed, and closed off from God that would want to or have committed rape or other such evil acts.

Rather than fighting so hard to prevent abortion, which is just a symptom of our societal ills, let us rather focus on the true illness: a world where we have raised our children to be undisciplined, selfish, and overly emotional tyrants who are addicted to cheap thrills and instant gratification.

Have you listened to popular music? Have you heard how vulgar, how lewd it is? Have you done a simple search, mentioning just one key word like sex or a body part, and seen how many inappropriate content videos come up? It's shocking easily, too easy, and the only thing stopping young, impressionable children from seeing what they shouldn't is a simple check box that you click on to assert that you are "at least 18 years of age."

Let us fight to ban the easy access to inappropriate content, and to set standards for music and video. Let us volunteer and mentor young people who don't have strong father or mother figures in their lives. Let us teach our children respect and obedience, and not fall prey to the mindsets and beliefs that are displayed in popular culture, reality television, and the media. Instead let us teach them that happiness does not come from getting your way all the time, but rather from self-discipline, good work, mutual respect, and service to God and others.

So my fellow Christians, let us humbly pray for guidance, and pray for discernment. Pray for God to guide you and then give you the strength and faith to believe, to listen, and do God's will in this world and in your life. Vote and live as God calls you to live. Vote for your children and for our world and let no one dissuade you. Not even me!
So, let murderers murder, let thieves steal, let pedophiles and rapists rape, your voting to eliminate laws in order to allow sinners the right to fully express every inclination of their heart which is evil continually. A vote for Beto is a vote to also allow taking kids from Christian parents if the parents refuse to validate their transgender transitioning and that's if the parents even find out as you're also voting to not let parents even know what's going on with their kids. That's now a law in California. The very things you lament, you're voting for. You're voting to persecute Christians and to keep your Christianity to yourself because that's ultimately what those sinners' "free will" want.
You claim you sought God in this, but just where in His word can you justify doing this? It's Gods prerogative to put in power whom He wants. He commands us to obey His word.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Beto is too far left for me, but Abbott has been a disaster for the state. It's not just botching the power grid and killing Texans, it's not just him lying about the Uvalde shootings. He can't function as a governor.

And libertarians always lose elections because people only want their team to win, regardless of the damage.

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
We were given free will and taking away someone's right to choose teaches them nothing.
Yet I presume brother you’re in favor of criminal laws that deny the free-will choice of murderers intent on harming you, or that deny the free-will choice of thieves intent on stealing your property? Doesn’t your opposition here deprive them of learning opportunities when exerting their free-will?

But, I could be wrong. Maybe you oppose these too - at least your position would be consistent.

Otherwise why not just surrender the half-baked and grotesque rationale and be clear about your position: a fellow person created in the image of God has zero value, is not worth our protection but rather the correct Christian action is instead to support candidates who actively pursue this murder.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A lot of people will tell you not to let your Christianity influence your vote. It's quite a ridiculous statement in my opinion. Your vote is your voice. It is your condoning, or condemning, of the positions of a candidate who wants to represent you in government.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When deciding to vote for Robert Francis O'Rourke, the fourth generation Irish American, one should take the time to research his words and actions and his current platform.

Robert, for me, is just way too left to even consider. Additionally, his willingness to condone the killing of a child in the womb is abhorrent in my mind. If I was a Texan, he would not even be under consideration.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet I presume brother you’re in favor of criminal laws that deny the free-will choice of murderers intent on harming you, or that deny the free-will choice of thieves intent on stealing your property? Doesn’t your opposition here deprive them of learning opportunities when exerting their free-will?

That's an important point. My right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins. The law isn't there to make us good; it's there to keep us from harming others. If the person wants to sin without harming others, then it's between him and God. If it does harm others, then the state has a right to stop him or punish him for doing it.

I'm pretty sure that Clear2LearnFaith sees it that way, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's an important point. My right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins. The law isn't there to make us good; it's there to keep us from harming others.
Killing babies is harming others.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's an important point. My right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins. The law isn't there to make us good; it's there to keep us from harming others. If the person wants to sin without harming others, then it's between him and God. If it does harm others, then the state has a right to stop him or punish him for doing it.

I'm pretty sure that Clear2LearnFaith sees it that way, too.
ultrasound.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2022
San Antonio, TX
✟16,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, let murderers murder, let thieves steal, let pedophiles and rapists rape, your voting to eliminate laws in order to allow sinners the right to fully express every inclination of their heart which is evil continually. A vote for Beto is a vote to also allow taking kids from Christian parents if the parents refuse to validate their transgender transitioning and that's if the parents even find out as you're also voting to not let parents even know what's going on with their kids. That's now a law in California. The very things you lament, you're voting for. You're voting to persecute Christians and to keep your Christianity to yourself because that's ultimately what those sinners' "free will" want.
You claim you sought God in this, but just where in His word can you justify doing this? It's Gods prerogative to put in power whom He wants. He commands us to obey His word.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2022
San Antonio, TX
✟16,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I would personally do everything in my power to dissuade some one from having an abortion. But like I said in the 2nd half of my post, more than stop abortions, we need to change our society to one in which young people are raised to be responsible. We need to change the way we raise young people, and disconnect them from easy access to inappropriate content and other trash that anyone could easily get caught up in, but especially kids and teenagers, and be mentors to kids who have no one looking out for them. I'm a high school teacher, and, for many of my students, I'm the only father figure in their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 30, 2022
San Antonio, TX
✟16,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The media gadfly became so associated with confiscatory gun control that after bowing out of the race fellow candidate, and gun confiscation advocate, Joe Biden told a campaign rally that he was going to bring Beto to Washington “to take care of the gun problem.” Biden went on to add, “You’re going to be the one who leads this effort. I’m counting on ya.”

NRA-ILA | Beto is lying about guns again

Beto is out of step with Texas.
Of course, you are welcome to your opinion.

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
You seem very angry and your use of the association fallacy in your argument is very effective. God bless you. I'll pray for you. You should probably reread the 2nd half of my post.
I’ll presume this was for me :grinning: If not it should have been.

Indeed, the murder of anyone does make me angry. As do people who vote for candidates that directly seek to decriminalize murder.

I did read your entire post, and was responding directly to your own words when I responded. Did I miss something in your second half that negated the quote I pulled?

As for your belief that we need to solve the root problems behind abortion, well, how did that work out? After 49 years since Roe and 63+ million killed (even with declines since the 90s, it’s still 930k killed in 2020) is it working? You wouldn’t solve the problem of drunk driving by saying “okay, first let’s make drunk driving legal, and then let’s aim at fixing the root causes”.

Anyway, the argument isn’t to IGNORE the root problems - nothing is preventing a both-and approach here. But at least as Christians we can’t be giving a green-light to the sin of murder. Or voting for it.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

But don’t get me wrong… I can love you as a brother and simultaneously disagree with you at the same time :grinning: I mean, you did post this in the “Discussion and Debate” forum after all. I presume you didn’t only expect agreement and chin-scratches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
  • Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you! I would personally do everything in my power to dissuade some one from having an abortion. But like I said in the 2nd half of my post, more than stop abortions, we need to change our society to one in which young people are raised to be responsible. We need to change the way we raise young people, and disconnect them from easy access to inappropriate content and other trash that anyone could easily get caught up in, but especially kids and teenagers, and be mentors to kids who have no one looking out for them. I'm a high school teacher, and, for many of my students, I'm the only father figure in their lives.

Well, I would argue that voting is one way to dissuade people from having abortions. I totally agree with you on your second point that we need to change our society in regards to how we are raising children. As a foster parent and a graduate student pursuing a Ph.D. in Psychology, I can relate somewhat to you as a teacher in that we've both seen firsthand the uphill battle we face.

Upvote 0