Whosoever believeth into him..

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 3:16 is correctly translated "believe into him."

What is the significance, if any, of this preposition instead of "believe in him?"

John 3: (LITV)
16. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There are other instances of the use of the preposition "into."

John 3:15 LITV
15. that everyone believing into Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Galatians 2:16 LITV
16. knowing that a man is not justified by works of Law, but that it is through faith in Jesus Christ (we also believed into Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of Law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of Law). Psa. 123:2

John 12:46 (KJS)
I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth into me should not abide in darkness.

• Agree
Reactions: HIM

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

What is the significance, if any, of this preposition instead of "believe in him?"

16. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

15. that everyone believing into Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

16. knowing that a man is not justified by works of Law, but that it is through faith in Jesus Christ (we also believed into Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of Law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of Law). Psa. 123:2

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth into me should not abide in darkness.

When witnessing to people …many times I will ask them if they believe in God…

Then I will follow up with “do you believe God”….which starts a conversating…. and for the most part the answer to question one is around 90%. The answer to follow-up (once I explain it) can vary, with a caveat …most believe He is all powerful, but are limited in their knowledge of Gods over 900 promises to us.

Jhn 3:16 KJV For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Believing in God and Believing in Jesus is not that same as believing into them and everything they represent.

Just believing in Jesus will not get you everlasting life …

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

What do you mean by "John 3:16 is correctly translated "believe into him.""? That is a very unusual phrase. It sounds like some kind of kid's fairy tale. Conventional English is "believe in Him", the same as one believes in anything. That is why virtually every English translation correctly uses that phrase.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When witnessing to people …many times I will ask them if they believe in God…

Then I will follow up with “do you believe God”….which starts a conversating…. and for the most part the answer to question one is around 90%. The answer to follow-up (once I explain it) can vary, with a caveat …most believe He is all powerful, but are limited in their knowledge of Gods over 900 promises to us.

Jhn 3:16 KJV For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Believing in God and Believing in Jesus is not that same as believing into them and everything they represent.

Just believing in Jesus will not get you everlasting life …

Your quoting John 3:16 contradicts the way you interpret it. "... believeth in him" is present tense; in modern English (the language you and I use) it's "... believes in him". The famous verse clearly states that you have eternal life if you believe in God's son. "Believing into" means zilch.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean by "John 3:16 is correctly translated "believe into him.""? That is a very unusual phrase. It sounds like some kind of kid's fairy tale. Conventional English is "believe in Him", the same as one believes in anything. That is why virtually every English translation correctly uses that phrase.

Thanks for your post.

There is different pronoun used in these verses.
Usually, the Greek word en is used. That is in.
In this case, the Greek word eis is used. That is into.

Ultimately, I believe this refers to "baptism into Jesus Christ."
For instance:

Romans 6:3-4 KJV​
3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV
13. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians shows the connection between "faith in Christ" and "baptized into Christ"

Galatians 3:26-27 KJV​
26. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

All this is essentially the mechanics of the new birth. When we believe into Christ, we believe into His death, burial, and resurrection.

1 Peter 1:3 KJV​
3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Colossians 2 (KJS)
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Ephesians 2:5-6 KJV
5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Strong's' entries:

Lexicon Greek 1519
1519 eis {ice}
a primary preposition; TDNT - 2:420,211; prep
AV - into 573, to 281, unto 207, for 140, in 138, on 58,
toward 29, against 26, misc 321; 1773
1) into, unto, to, towards, for, among

Lexicon Greek 1722
1722 en {en}
a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position
(in place, time or state), and (by implication)
instrumentality (medially or constructively),
i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between
1519 and 1537); TDNT - 2:537,233; prep
AV - in 1874, by 141, with 134, among 117, at 112, on 46,
through 37, misc 321; 2782
1) in, by, with etc.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whenever I find something, I do not understand, instead of insisting on supporting my misunderstanding, I see the instance as an opportunity to learn and grow. This is such a case. The author of the Greek uses the proposition into (ice) several times. He did this for a reason. We can learn and grow by finding out why!:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for your post.

There is different pronoun used in these verses.
Usually, the Greek word en is used. That is in.
In this case, the Greek word eis is used. That is into.

Ultimately, I believe this refers to "baptism into Jesus Christ."
For instance:

Romans 6:3-4 KJV​
3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV
13. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians shows the connection between "faith in Christ" and "baptized into Christ"

Galatians 3:26-27 KJV​
26. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

All this is essentially the mechanics of the new birth. When we believe into Christ, we believe into His death, burial, and resurrection.

1 Peter 1:3 KJV​
3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Colossians 2 (KJS)
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Ephesians 2:5-6 KJV
5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Why should you be believed, since almost every single English translation translates John 3:16 differently? Your citing other places where it says "baptized into..." shows how you've twisted John's famous verse. Why do you think that "baptized into" and "believes in" are the same?

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I love J. P. Green
John is the only writer in the NT that uses those Greek words together that are translated believeth in in the KJV. Have you look at the other instances?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love J. P. Green
John is the only writer in the NT that uses those Greek words together that are translated believeth in in the KJV. Have you look at the other instances?
Yes... Green and to a lesser extent Young. I love the literal versions for the purpose of deep study and meditation on the Word. I included a few more instances from Paul and John where "eis" is correctly translated "into." Whosoever believeth into him..
If you have more to share please do!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to go one step further regarding those who believe the KJV is the only "true" Word of God. Because it is written in a style of English that is no longer used, it is prone to misinterpretation. Putting "into" in John 3:16 is a perfect example of this error.

Because it is no longer used, people can justify their incorrect doctrine by re-interpreting early 17th Century English to mean whatever they want it to mean, regardless of what it actually means.

It's a handy way to put whatever spin one wants into the meaning of the text and makes the writer seem knowledgeable. It's a clever way of saying "I have special knowledge that you don't", when there is actually no basis.

Fortunately, we have many modern interpretations that put the ancient source documents into our language, the one we use every day (and the one people post in on this and every other forum) and b) thereby eliminate re-translation -- an unnecessary and confusing step -- from another time. KJVOs try to sound more knowledgeable than the rest of us, but in reality, they come off as just the opposite.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to go one step further regarding those who believe the KJV is the only "true" Word of God. Because it is written in a style of English that is no longer used, it is prone to misinterpretation. Putting "into" in John 3:16 is a perfect example of this error.

Because it is no longer used, people can justify their incorrect doctrine by re-interpreting early 17th Century English to mean whatever they want it to mean, regardless of what it actually means.

It's a handy way to put whatever spin one wants into the meaning of the text and makes the writer seem knowledgeable. It's a clever way of saying "I have special knowledge that you don't", when there is actually no basis.

Fortunately, we have many modern interpretations that put the ancient source documents into our language, the one we use every day (and the one people post in on this and every other forum) and b) thereby eliminate re-translation -- an unnecessary and confusing step -- from another time. KJVOs try to sound more knowledgeable than the rest of us, but in reality, they come off as just the opposite.
Thanks for your input! Please continue to share if you have more information.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes... Green and to a lesser extent Young. I love the literal versions for the purpose of deep study and meditation on the Word. I included a few more instances from Paul and John where "eis" is correctly translated "into." Whosoever believeth into him..
If you have more to share please do!!!

What is a "literal version"? The ancient languages of the source documents are very different than modern language: vocabulary, word tenses, idioms, etc. Translation is as much an art as a science and requires the translator to have an understanding of the language and culture of the Biblical era.

Some reverse examples: "it's raining cats and dogs". Or "it's snowing like crazy" or "my leg hurts like hell" or ... English idioms that sound insane to someone who interprets them literally. The same lack of understanding of the idioms of the source languages and/or the lack of understanding of the idioms of early 17th Century English produces errors of interpretation. "Whosoever believeth into him..." is a perfect example.

Those who believe that the KJV is the Word of God are deluding themselves.

"

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

How we understand what it means to believe in Jesus for eternal life should be understood within the context of what other verses say about the way to have eternal life, such as Matthew 19:17, where the way to enter into eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, so obedience to God's commandments is the way to believe in Jesus. In Proverbs 3:18, she is a tree of life for all who take hold of her. Deuteronomy 32:47, God's law is our very life.

The law of first mention is a principle where the first time a Hebrew word is used provides the context for how it should be understood. The Hebrew word "derek" means "the way" and is first used in Genesis 3:24 in regard to and cherubim guarding the way to the tree of life and the only other time cherubim are referred to is to guarding the Ark of the Covenant, in which was God's law. Furthermore, the same Hebrew word for "guard" is also frequently used in regard to guarding God's laws and God's laws are frequently referred to as being instructions for how to was in God's way, such as in Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, which again is the way to eternal life. There are also a number of other verses that connect the way with life, such as Jesus saying that narrow is the way that leads to life.

Before eating of either tree, Adam and Eve were at a crossroads between mortality and immortality, where eating of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil caused them to become mortal while eating of the Tree of Life would have caused them to become immortal. In Deuteronomy 30:15-20, they were at the same crossroads, where Moses presented a choice before them between life and death, life and a blessing for living in obedience to God's law or death and a curse for living in disobedience, so choose life!

As God's ambassadors, the way that we live testifies what we believe to be true about the nature of who God is, which is why our good works bring glory to God (Matthew 5:13-16). Jesus is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3), which he testified about through his actions by living in sinless obedience to God's law, so when we express aspects of Christ's nature through our obedience to God's law, we are testifying about what we believe to be true about the nature of who Christ is, or in other words we are believing in him, which is why there are many verses that connect our belief in God with our obedience to him, so that is the way to believe in Jesus for eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Contextually INTO fits with the rest of the Gospel John, For He is the vine and we are the branches. Without Him we can do nothing. Jo 15:5

We can't be a branch unless we are in and of the vine. We can't be of the vine unless we placed into it by our belief.

The prayer of a righteous man availeth much. So it is written...

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
(Joh 17:20-23 KJV)

We can't be in Christ and God without first being place into by our faith.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never read this rendering of the passage either, but might surmise that it refers to believing unto salvation...we are then one with God. As Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-21...
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never read this rendering of the passage either, but might surmise that it refers to believing unto salvation...we are then one with God. As Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-21...
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
I like that. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0