Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which denomination is the true one? For both Catholics and Protestants, I am sure each one of you will most likely have an answer, for one reason or another. But.... is it the right answer? The subject matter is important, and I beg you understand. My intent is certainly not to disparage any particular denomination with what I am about to share here. But here is something to ruminate on.

If one is truly preaching the pure unadulterated gospel, what happens? The gospel works! A good tree produces good fruit. Many are convinced that their particular brand of Christianity is the God centered one, as I am sure you do yours. We base this on what we perceive to be what the true gospel is, so we congregate with others of like mind.

But what if we based it on the type of saint that gospel produced? In other words, what if we based our assessment of any split or denomination upon what God had promised us? If we are to know them by their fruits, then shouldn't a major factor in determining who actually possesses.... or in this particular case.... is possessed by the truth?

Here is the sad truth. It is here that things get dicey for every single denomination on the planet. All 500+ of them. Yours. Mine. Ours. Theirs. Catholic. Protestant. Orthodox. Why? Because Jesus said that if we abide in Him, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are walking in God’s will, we will love Him with our whole heart and our neighbor as ourselves. We will love not the world, nor the things in the world. We will be single eyed, full of joy, and walk as overcomers with our shields of faith up, quenching all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Jesus PROMISED us that. It is our birthright, and it is time we finally possessed it, amen?

We must understand. We see these things as goals. They are not. They are fruits of the truth. Simply put, truly pure teaching of the real gospel WILL produce much fruit, amen? Those who walk the path will find the FREE INDED Jesus spoke of, free of committing sin. (His words, not mine). So how are we doing? How is your particular denomination of choice doing? Mine? Yeah, same as yours.

Now you may be honing in on the purpose of my OP. How do we react when we hear Jesus’s description as to what will happen when the real gospel is proclaimed correctly? Do we not get defensive, a bit angry, frustrated, trying to defend what we have put so much trust in?

Look, I get it. I do. Our identification, our feeling of security, comes from our affiliation with others of the same mindset. But at what point do we say "Something is off." This is what we need to face. Our security is not in Christ. Subtly, it has become our "group" that makes us feel we possess the truth. Ahhh, but does the truth possess us? Do we not see? If our love for our denomination is greater than our love for other believers who perhaps do not see things is the same light as we do is, then according to the word of the God we serve, we are still carnal. No exceptions.

When we finally stop and scratch our heads and really question why this is, instead of defending our group based on our denomination’s long history or our huge size, or our superior teaching, that is a real first step in seeking for and finding the answer we need.

But as long as we continue to worship man-made institutions and place them on nearly equal footing with God Himself, nstead of crying out to our Father to bring our own lives to fulfill the standard listed above, to set us free indeed, sadly we will continue to wallow in our religion. And equally sadly, the world will continue to look at us and call us hypocrites. and rightly so.

Change IS coming. who will see it first? Those who hunger not to be in rbe right group, but those whose hearts are crying out for more of Jesus, those who refuse to accept anything less than abiding in Him and walking pleasibg to the one who bought us.

Blessings,

Gideon

If we do not know what causes the problem, we cannot come up with an appropriate solution.

I say that the problem lies with the way God inspired the Bible and the way we interpret it - given a text, people can come up with different interpretations. The many different interpretations create the confusion and chaos we see today. We need to ask, what is the nature of the Bible and how we should approach it.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which denomination is the true one? For both Catholics and Protestants, I am sure each one of you will most likely have an answer, for one reason or another. But.... is it the right answer? The subject matter is important, and I beg you understand. My intent is certainly not to disparage any particular denomination with what I am about to share here. But here is something to ruminate on.

If one is truly preaching the pure unadulterated gospel, what happens? The gospel works! A good tree produces good fruit. Many are convinced that their particular brand of Christianity is the God centered one, as I am sure you do yours. We base this on what we perceive to be what the true gospel is, so we congregate with others of like mind.

But what if we based it on the type of saint that gospel produced? In other words, what if we based our assessment of any split or denomination upon what God had promised us? If we are to know them by their fruits, then shouldn't a major factor in determining who actually possesses.... or in this particular case.... is possessed by the truth?

Here is the sad truth. It is here that things get dicey for every single denomination on the planet. All 500+ of them. Yours. Mine. Ours. Theirs. Catholic. Protestant. Orthodox. Why? Because Jesus said that if we abide in Him, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are walking in God’s will, we will love Him with our whole heart and our neighbor as ourselves. We will love not the world, nor the things in the world. We will be single eyed, full of joy, and walk as overcomers with our shields of faith up, quenching all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Jesus PROMISED us that. It is our birthright, and it is time we finally possessed it, amen?

We must understand. We see these things as goals. They are not. They are fruits of the truth. Simply put, truly pure teaching of the real gospel WILL produce much fruit, amen? Those who walk the path will find the FREE INDED Jesus spoke of, free of committing sin. (His words, not mine). So how are we doing? How is your particular denomination of choice doing? Mine? Yeah, same as yours.

Now you may be honing in on the purpose of my OP. How do we react when we hear Jesus’s description as to what will happen when the real gospel is proclaimed correctly? Do we not get defensive, a bit angry, frustrated, trying to defend what we have put so much trust in?

Look, I get it. I do. Our identification, our feeling of security, comes from our affiliation with others of the same mindset. But at what point do we say "Something is off." This is what we need to face. Our security is not in Christ. Subtly, it has become our "group" that makes us feel we possess the truth. Ahhh, but does the truth possess us? Do we not see? If our love for our denomination is greater than our love for other believers who perhaps do not see things is the same light as we do is, then according to the word of the God we serve, we are still carnal. No exceptions.

When we finally stop and scratch our heads and really question why this is, instead of defending our group based on our denomination’s long history or our huge size, or our superior teaching, that is a real first step in seeking for and finding the answer we need.

But as long as we continue to worship man-made institutions and place them on nearly equal footing with God Himself, nstead of crying out to our Father to bring our own lives to fulfill the standard listed above, to set us free indeed, sadly we will continue to wallow in our religion. And equally sadly, the world will continue to look at us and call us hypocrites. and rightly so.

Change IS coming. who will see it first? Those who hunger not to be in rbe right group, but those whose hearts are crying out for more of Jesus, those who refuse to accept anything less than abiding in Him and walking pleasibg to the one who bought us.

Blessings,

Gideon
The Truth is all anyone will get when Christ visits them as a thief in the night. Christ came to me as a thief in the night shortly after my 36th birthday. I had previously proclaimed that I was born again. Sometime close to my 36th birthday, I was compelled to enter into a fast by God The Father. He called me to fast and handed me over to Christ. When Christ opened my eyes to See and ears to Hear, I was so excited about what was happening that I really can’t do it justice. On the 5th or 6th day, I was walking out of our bedroom on a Friday night when I was instantly suspended over the lake of fire. That happened to me almost 30 years ago. Christ never stops once He starts as I currently understand it. Now for almost 30 years I have seen many miracles and been taught many things in God’s Word directly by Christ. I have that I’m aware of only met 4 others whom I believe went through the very same born again experience that I went through only a little different on the Fear of The Lord. One Brother was either suspended over or in the bottomless pit for example. The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge. Christ was made of quick understanding in that fear.

Isa.11

1. [3] And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
Also, Christ Spoke the following;

Rev.2 Verses 26 to 29

1. [26] And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
    [27] And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
    [28] And I will give him the morning star.
    [29] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
What I’m sharing with you I share with very few. When you pray about and live the understanding given by Christ, you become a child of God The Father and Brother to Christ. I know I’m not worthy to be called The Brother of Christ in Spirit. When God The Father came to me, I felt His intense Perfect Love. He loved me before I loved Him. That Love is beyond my ability to describe. The main thing is after you have read this, do you see an opportunity to grow?

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To answer the question of your thread here, it's the pre-Reformation Eastern Churches.

Most of the mare neither Roman Catholic nor Protestant.
In reference to which denomination is the right one.
I don't know if you have been reading all along, but my assertion is that if any were the 'correct' division, it would speak of Jesus, not of itself. Its followers would walk in victory and joy, with willful sin and pride in the rear view mirror. It would be passionate for souls, not for its own glory but simply because it wants them to know the one they have come to know and obey.

So, now that you are caught up, how is your division faring?

blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Truth is all anyone will get when Christ visits them as a thief in the night. Christ came to me as a thief in the night shortly after my 36th birthday. I had previously proclaimed that I was born again. Sometime close to my 36th birthday, I was compelled to enter into a fast by God The Father. He called me to fast and handed me over to Christ. When Christ opened my eyes to See and ears to Hear, I was so excited about what was happening that I really can’t do it justice. On the 5th or 6th day, I was walking out of our bedroom on a Friday night when I was instantly suspended over the lake of fire. That happened to me almost 30 years ago. Christ never stops once He starts as I currently understand it. Now for almost 30 years I have seen many miracles and been taught many things in God’s Word directly by Christ. I have that I’m aware of only met 4 others whom I believe went through the very same born again experience that I went through only a little different on the Fear of The Lord. One Brother was either suspended over or in the bottomless pit for example. The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge. Christ was made of quick understanding in that fear.

Isa.11

1. [3] And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
Also, Christ Spoke the following;

Rev.2 Verses 26 to 29

1. [26] And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
    [27] And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
    [28] And I will give him the morning star.
    [29] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
What I’m sharing with you I share with very few. When you pray about and live the understanding given by Christ, you become a child of God The Father and Brother to Christ. I know I’m not worthy to be called The Brother of Christ in Spirit. When God The Father came to me, I felt His intense Perfect Love. He loved me before I loved Him. That Love is beyond my ability to describe. The main thing is after you have read this, do you see an opportunity to grow?
Thanks for that, dear brother. I do not doubt a word you have said.

blessings,

Gideon

Reactions: lsume
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No denomination is the "right one". The plainly stated will of Jesus Christ regarding His followers was and still is "That they all may be ONE, even as I and My heavenly Father are ONE". He emphasized unity because it is only in unity that truth can exist. Denominations mean departure from unity. If the teaching of two different churches or denominations conflict with each other, at least one of them is teaching untruth, because truth cannot conflict with truth. Which is why Jesus Christ founded ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you in to ALL truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". Which is why that ONE Church remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, while those who have defected from His ONE Church have fragmented into thousands of unauthorized conflicting manmade denominations, teaching thousands of conflicting, and therefore false, beliefs, in just a few hundred years.
Please read my response to Monk. I await your response as I will await his.

blessings,

Gids

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To answer the question of your thread here, it's the pre-Reformation Eastern Churches.

Most of the mare neither Roman Catholic nor Protestant.
None of the above. (IMO)
The "church" is the "body of Christ" plain and simple.
So HE is the Head, and we, His church, are the Body.
When He moves, we move.
When the Spirit is speaking to us, we all hear the same thing,
regardless of where we are geographical.
I see no other criteria that would be relevant.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There can be only one truth, and Christ promised to stand by that truth, and that his Church would withstand the gates of Hell.

There is only one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and it isn't in Rome. It is the one with God bearing elders, miracle working Saints even to the current day, the preserved teachings of the Church Fathers, and the correct understanding of the Gospel.

Orthodoxy will stand forever and its Truths will never change. It has shown that in the past 2000 years and it isn't going anywhere.

• Winner
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Anthony Edgar

Jul 21, 2016
Forster, NSW Australia
✟11,581.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
According to Matt 16:18, the true Church must be able to demonstrate an unbroken history that goes all the way back to the apostles.

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matt 16:18.

Only the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches can claim to have such a history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

:oldthumbsup::amen:
Any denomination which preaches the Gospel is correct.
The Gospel is the only important thing; nothing else matters because nothing else saves, reconciles us to God or makes us holy.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me for my directness, but that is a cop-out to not have to hunger for it. If a man is starving, a hundred people might come and promise him food and everyone might be lying. But does that finally allay his hunger? No.

How badly do we want to walk in victory? That is the question here. God's Word has made it clear that our birthright IS to walk in victory over the world, the flesh and the devil. So IF it is possible is not the question. Overcoming, walking with our feet on the temptations satan lures is with, that IS our birthright. Are we will to drop all of our other pearls to possess... and be possessed... by the one we say we love, the one we confess cannot lie?

He is ready to move. He simply awaits upon is to cry out to Him with ALL of our hearts.

blessings,

Gideon
Something that I have asked professing Christians as well as Democrats and Republicans is what they would do in the following situation;

A poor underprivileged 17 year old girl with a low IQ and three children from three different men has a headlight out. She is ticketed for the fault and has no way to pay for or pay a technician to fix the problem. Her children are hungry and she gets food stamps. Do you help her out or do you concern yourself with her unwanted situation? Let’s take this one step further, suppose that you know that 90% of the people are stealing there food stamps. The correct answer as I see it is regardless of the 90% who steel we still need to feed her kids and the mother. It would be nice to know who is stealing but since we don’t, we must give the help where needed. Most of the people I know would not cause the woman and her children to suffer because of the bad bunch who steal. I know that God places every leader in their position. You can search out watchers and in Daniel there is Scripture that Tells of God’s total control of who is leading. I believe that this applies to every level of leadership. The last election I did not vote on the presidential race. I apologize for digressing from the topic. I believe that if you saw the aforementioned situation, you would probably fix her car. She didn’t want to be in her situation and we can’t let the children starve or the mother. This situation is more common than we might think. What would Jesus do? I really love that phrase about Christ. It’s a good place to look for direction. The other major thing is that the miracles of Christ should be happening wherever there are born again Christians. We are to do greater things than Christ.

Rom.8
  1. [29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Since Christ is The Firstborn among many brethren, all of His brothers and sisters should be going through the same Spiritual things that Christ went through. I have been blessed to witness many miracles done by The Good Lord. Faith does not come from witnessing miracles as you probably know. When Christ said “a wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign.

Matt.12
  1. [39] But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Matt.16
  1. [4] A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.
When He Speaks to you when he comes as a thief in the night, that is when you absolutely know that The Bible is Absolute and final. The mysteries that Christ reveals are many and great. It is impossible to share a truth you have not yet received. There is no need for a teacher because Christ teaches all of it. Everything fits God’s Word as it must to be Truthful.

May our Lord guide His elect to their destiny.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the group of Christians which best followed the example of the early church were the early Quakers. Soon however, they moved away from their beginnings and today George Fox would not recognise them.

The things I believe were notable:

Ministers did not get a wage though travelling preachers received lodgings and food. They earned their own money and Fox earned as a shoemaker.

Men and women were thought of as equal.

The meetings were under the control of the HS when they should end them.

They did not sing songs/hymns that others might join in and sing things they did not believe. You must believe every word you sing as you would in every word you speak.

Everything had to be honest and authentic. They were always noted for their honesty in business transactions.

If weak members were imprisoned during the severe persecutions they endured, the stronger ones would take their place.

They believed that believers would live holy lives so long as they walked by faith and not works and stressed the need for leaders to display the full fruit of the Spirit and be without sin.

They did not wear expensive fancy clothing but this became ridiculous later on so that 'plain clothes' especially bonnets cost more.

They would not use titles that made some men higher than others.

They would not follow social customs that were not honest.

They would not enlist in the army to kill fellow men.

They lived simply and frugally.

Preachers had to live the life and not just be 'gainsayers'.

The seat of authority according to early Quakers was not as Protestants say, in the Bible, nor acording to Orthodoxy, in councils nor RCC one man, it is the witness of the Holy Spirit within, confirmed by scripture interpreted by those who are sinless.

Of course this did not last long and we know that many Quakers today are not even born again. Other denominations made a good start like during the time of Wesley but they soon degrade with the second generation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The correct one would be the one that is correctable when mistakes are discovered..

At that point? Its would cease being a denomination, and be reestablished to being as God intended... An independent local church.

CORRECT.

One of Strong's Concordance definition for "Sin" from its original Greek word was "Mistakes"

Repentance is basically knowing, recognizing, and acknowledging our sins / mistakes and turning away from them, changing the way we live so we avoid making the same sins / mistakes.

Luke 13:3
Unless you repent, you too will perish....

As our brother here pointed out.

Indeed, the right denomination is one who is open to corrections and will not let pride stop them from doing the right thing.

Taking corrections seriously, making real effort to investigate and quick / willing to change if found in error is humility.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think visible institutional churches are unscriptural as are denominations. But in the unity of the Holy Spirit believers are found in all of them. But the number is few in comparison to the many who populate them.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope and pray that by repeating... again..... the scriptural premise that a good tree bears good fruit, readers would stop and think before espousing their own particular choice as the correct one.

I have read lots of reasons why a particular church of choice is the right one. What I have not read is for any to admit that based upon that premise, something is badly amiss.

It is this lack of awareness, or worse yet, lack of concern that should stir us to seek the face of our God Will it? I pray so. But as I head to work today, let me leave you with a few verses you are, I am sure, aware of. However, they will be from the Message Bible, simply because in my mind, they let us read them with a 'fresh set of eyes'.

May God bless you all and lead us all into oneness with Him, for only then will we discover the path to oneness with one another.

"Write to Laodicea, to the Angel of the church. God’s Yes, the Faithful and Accurate Witness, the First of God’s creation, says:

"I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking.

You’re not cold, you’re not hot—far better to be either cold or hot!

You’re stale. You’re stagnant. You make me want to vomit.

You brag, ‘I’m rich, I’ve got it made, I need nothing from anyone,’ oblivious that in fact you’re a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.

“Here’s what I want you to do: Buy your gold from me, gold that’s been through the refiner’s fire. Then you’ll be rich.

Buy your clothes from me, clothes designed in Heaven. You’ve gone around half-naked long enough. And buy medicine for your eyes from me so you can see, really see. “The people I love, I call to account—prod and correct and guide so that they’ll live at their best. Up on your feet, then! About face! Run after God! “Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I’ll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That’s my gift to the conquerors! “Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches.”

Revelation 3:14-22

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free...

Clearly Freedom is a test - How free are your brothers and sisters in fellowship?

The closer we get to the truth (Jesus) the freer we become.

And secondly a major enemy in our fellowships is human loyalty. It blinds us to compromise.

"Are you not walking in the way of man? For when one of you says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

There is a better way to walk... being bound to the Love of Jesus, free to move as He wills without the constraint of human structures - but hey it requires total surrender to Him alone and many are too insecure and afraid to take this step. There is no Law against Love - it is not rebellious to move this way.

Come away my Beloved - Jesus needs you to be with Him...

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free...

Clearly Freedom is a test - How free are your brothers and sisters in fellowship?

The closer we get to the truth (Jesus) the freer we become.

And secondly a major enemy in our fellowships is human loyalty. It blinds us to compromise.

"Are you not walking in the way of man? For when one of you says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

There is a better way to walk... being bound to the Love of Jesus, free to move as He wills without the constraint of human structures - but hey it requires total surrender to Him alone and many are too insecure and afraid to take this step. There is no Law against Love - it is not rebellious to move this way.

Come away my Beloved - Jesus needs you to be with Him...
You always make me smile, my dear brother in the Lord. Well said, and with the right heart.

blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.