USA
✟947,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only parts make a whole, another example of God's humour in reminding us unity works better than division. (US take note)

I don’t know if that’s a popular opinion. From my experience there’s a greater primacy on being alike than adhering to the path you’re led to walk.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a timely thread for me. The pastor of the Methodist church I attended today had us write in a post it note inserted in our bulletin our chief concerns anonymously which were collected during the open communion ceremony. Mine was about choosing a denomination and if the exclusivity claims of a certain church are correct. The sermon today was specifically about the theme of a recent CF debate. The exact same scriptures were quoted. I think if we go about our day with our eyes and ears open God reveals His omnipresence in no uncertain terms.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." - Thomas A. Edison (I would imagine the Lord Jesus claiming the same thing)

Some of the most saintly Virginians of the previous age were not at all that educated and often considered illiterate, as in the case of Robert Sheffey. In which, if you read up on his life his relationship with the Lord was first and foremost. There have been many Christians, of all denominations, who were not at all studied in Christian dogma, but wow! What a life they lived!

I passed my examinations and that year (George Clark Rankin talking) I was sent to the Wytheville Station and Circuit. That was adjoining my former charge. We reached the old parsonage on the pike just out of Wytheville as Rev. B. W. S. Bishop moved out.

The circuit was a large one, comprising seventeen appointments. They were practically scattered all over the county. I preached every other day, and never less than twice and generally three times on Sunday.

The famous Cripple Creek Campground was on that work. They have kept up campmeetings there for more than a hundred years. It is still the great rallying point for the Methodists of all that section. I have never heard such singing and preaching and shouting anywhere else in my life. I met the Rev. John Boring there and heard him preach. He was a well-known preacher in the conference; original, peculiar, strikingly odd, but a great revival preacher.

The rarest character I ever met in my life I met at that campmeeting in the person of Rev. Robert Sheffy, known as "Bob" Sheffy. He was recognized all over Southwest Virginia as the most eccentric preacher of that country. He was a local preacher; crude, illiterate, queer and the oddest specimen known among preachers. But he was saintly in his life, devout in his experience and a man of unbounded faith. He wandered hither and thither over that section attending meetings, holding revivals and living among the people. He was great in prayer, and Cripple Creek campground was not complete without "Bob" Sheffy. They wanted him there to pray and work in the altar.

He was wonderful with penitents. And he was great in following up the sermon with his exhortations and appeals. He would sometimes spend nearly the whole night in the straw with mourners; and now and then if the meeting lagged he would go out on the mountain and spend the entire night in prayer, and the next morning he would come rushing into the service with his face all aglow shouting at the top of his voice. And then the meeting always broke loose with a floodtide.

He could say the oddest things, hold the most unique interviews with God, break forth in the most unexpected spasms of praise, use the homeliest illustrations, do the funniest things and go through with the most grotesque performances of any man born of woman.

It was just "Bob" Sheffy, and nobody thought anything of what he did and said, except to let him have his own way and do exactly as he pleased. In anybody else it would not have been tolerated for a moment. In fact, he acted more like a crazy man than otherwise, but he was wonderful in a meeting. He would stir the people, crowd the mourner's bench with crying penitents and have genuine conversions by the score. I doubt if any man in all that conference has as many souls to his credit in the Lamb's Book of Life as old "Bob" Sheffy.

At the close of that year in casting up my accounts I found that I had received three hundred and ninety dollars for my year's work, and the most of this had been contributed in everything except money. It required about the amount of cash contributed to pay my associate and the Presiding Elder. I got the chickens, the eggs, the butter, the ribs and backbones, the corn, the meat, and the Presiding Elder and Brother Stradley had helped us to eat our part of the quarterage. Well, we kept open house and had a royal time, even if we did not get much ready cash. We lived and had money enough to get a good suit of clothes and to pay our way to conference. What more does a young Methodist preacher need or want? We were satisfied and happy, and these experiences are not to be counted as unimportant assets in the life and work of a Methodist circuit rider. - The Life of George Clark Rankin

Robert_Sheffey.jpg

Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me my brother. I agree with most of what you say. In this kingdom.. "who are you" means allot. In this world there are many tents. One Christ duh. And He will use each tent for His glory. I see a man yelling at people going into some movie. Christ would never do it like that. Yet He said.. "if he is for me he is not against me". He never told the man to stop.. but used what that man was doing for His glory. You may not see it but.. you have a commonality in your posts :)

See I look at it like this. I don't know every denomination. Not even the ones I have been apart of. I can't tell you everything each believes. Then.. the hundreds of thousands of Churches. Then the millions of people in them. For me to say most, many, some, few? Would be lie.. I don't know Most, many, some, few. I can't even speak for my own family. I have no right what so ever to tell them what I believe they should be doing. I am not there god. He never gave me that authority. And then.. if they don't like what I say.. or get mad.. I can very easily KNOW its the enemy. They are mad upset because what I am speaking is truth. No.. the truth is.. I would only be sharing what I see and believe and then trying to apply it at them on them ..to make them see it through my eyes.

For me.. its HIS word.. not mine. I am not out to change anyone. So many times people came TO HIM, asked Him.. then He spoke very very clear vs just preaching to all. We forget we only see in part.. we need each other. You see in a way I don't. That can be a very good thing. The Church may not be how it 1st started. Many are leaving <--that is not good. And then many to home Churches. The people in that denomination? Are the SAME PEOPLE in that home Church :)

So..the question? I wouldn't use "right". The answer for me is.. the one that preaches all the word. Maybe this will help.. if you believe you right.. one can apply.. if they won't listen to Christ.. they never will you. We forget anyone that knows Jesus..those KIDS belong to a GOD! And He does not need us to tell HIS kids what how they should really be living. If I am down.. in a hole.. you tell me to stop digging.. and reach down and help me out.. or get down with me and push me out. ALL helps, encourages lifts up.. and always points to Him.

denomination? Blood of Jesus.. billions of people.. let me just show you the way out

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
None of them are right. Nor is any preacher/ministry 100% correct. Do the best we can.
The right one is the one He sends you to.
The first thought I got was that none of them are right, yet all of them are right. Some of my wife's family are Catholic, and I said that I would have no problem worshiping in a Catholic church because I would be worshiping the Lord from my heart; in the same way that I would worship the Lord in any other denominational setting. Even in a Mormon church - even if others were worshiping another Jesus, I would be worshiping the Jesus of the Bible from my heart.

But --- joining a church and being totally committed to it and its doctrine is entirely another matter. I would be very "picky" in that case.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Paul called it a "heresy" to divide up and follow different doctrines so.. do heretics even count in which church is correct? ^_^
Seriously not trying to be a pot stirrer, maybe Paul was tho.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul called it a "heresy" to divide up and follow different doctrines so.. do heretics even count in which church is correct? ^_^

That's the $10000 question :)

• Haha
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know if that’s a popular opinion. From my experience there’s a greater primacy on being alike than adhering to the path you’re led to walk.
The wide path is always more popular than the narrow.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well when it comes down to it, its about what message about salvation is right. You do works to get into heaven or you become saved to go to heaven (hence Jesus died on the cross). And out of those two there is always endless debate to which is right. Problem is often the "works" people are catholics, and catholics have added books to their bible. So that's where the problem is. Determining if those books were meant to be part of the bible or not.

Most christians believe those added books were not accurate as they end up leading to subjects that counter the bible (the bible we know). Such as going to mass, confession to a priest, praying to Mary...etc. Now I am NOT here to say catholics are wrong. I am simply stating the choosing a right one is hard if you are new to being a christian because of the two versions of salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And when you find one, lol, let me know.

If there is a God ... they will definitely exist. Because, when ever a believer begins groaning for truth? ... God will always provide. Trouble is? Not many groan for truth. They seek instead for some organization they can lose themselves in.

God provides for our every need. For too many. Their need is for His discipline, without ever realizing what it is there for.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well when it comes down to it, its about what message about salvation is right. You do works to get into heaven or you become saved to go to heaven (hence Jesus died on the cross). And out of those two there is always endless debate to which is right. Problem is often the "works" people are catholics, and catholics have added books to their bible. So that's where the problem is. Determining if those books were meant to be part of the bible or not.
Let me post Catholic teaching from Trent. You will see how incorrect your views are.

If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or through the teaching of the law,[110] without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema.

If anyone says that divine grace through Christ Jesus is given for this only, that man may be able more easily to live justly and to merit eternal life, as if by free will without grace he is able to do both, though with hardship and difficulty, let him be anathema.

If anyone says that without the predisposing inspiration of the Holy Ghost[111] and without His help, man can believe, hope, love or be repentant as he ought,[112] so that the grace of justification may be bestowed upon him, let him be anathema.

I am simply stating the choosing a right one is hard if you are new to being a christian because of the two versions of salvation
what is so sad is that there was only 1 version of salvation that Christ set up in His Church. Joe there are many.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there is a God ... they will definitely exist. Because, when ever a believer begins groaning for truth? ... God will always provide. Trouble is? Not many groan for truth. They seek instead for some organization they can lose themselves in.

God provides for our every need. For too many. Their need is for His discipline, without ever realizing what it is there for.
Boy, you have said a mouthful. Thank God for those few who have refused to accept solace in simply being forgiven but with no change of heart towards actually abiding in the one who died for them.

But God has assured my heart that the number is even now increasing.... a grass roots movement of saints who are scattered throughout all denominations, all divisions.

Like popcorn beginning to pop, a few here and there.... but as we get nearer and nearer to the end, that popping sound will become a deafening roar. We are about to see.... and BE...the latter rain He has promised us.

We will finally understand the path to unity with others is to finally become one with Him... as new creatures.

blessings to all.

Gids

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me post Catholic teaching from Trent. You will see how incorrect your views are.

If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or through the teaching of the law,[110] without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema.

If anyone says that divine grace through Christ Jesus is given for this only, that man may be able more easily to live justly and to merit eternal life, as if by free will without grace he is able to do both, though with hardship and difficulty, let him be anathema.

If anyone says that without the predisposing inspiration of the Holy Ghost[111] and without His help, man can believe, hope, love or be repentant as he ought,[112] so that the grace of justification may be bestowed upon him, let him be anathema.

what is so sad is that there was only 1 version of salvation that Christ set up in His Church. Joe there are many.
Sadly, you are but one voice that could be one from every division, schism, denomination, mother church. All convinced THEY are right. All may be branches of the vine, yet all are fruitless vines. Self still ultimately rules, sin still dominates, and the world laughs us to scorn.

Like the foolish emperor with his new clothes, we want to revel in our beautiful invisible gown of God's forgiveness without actually BEING righteousness and worse yet, with little if any heart to see that change.

Do we want to really understand how big God's grace is? It is when we get that even though we have blasphemed His holy name wherever we have gone, displaying our love for self above our love for Him, offering the world a God who can forgive us but not change us, He STILL loves us.

In these last days, our Father is going to prove to an unbelieving world that He is THE God. and how will He make this to happen?

He has told us clearly.

"And the heathen will know that ai am the Lord, when I shall be sanctified IN YOU before their very eyes."

Ezekiel 36

There will come a day... and soon... when all true sheep will cast aside their religious affiliations of choice as dung because they simply have chosen the better thing.

On that day, Christ will be all to all of us who love Him. May it come quickly. Live, bones, live.

Blessings,

Gids

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There will come a day... and soon... when all true sheep will cast aside their religious affiliations of choice as dung because they simply have chosen the better thing.
And for now the early arrivals will have new threads created for them where they can go. lol

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And for now the early arrivals will have new threads created for them where they can go. lol
Being an 'early arrival' to outside observers seems like pride puffed up. However, it is more akin to being an early arrival like the paratroopers dropped behind the lines in Normandy before D Day, lol.

I would change nothing in my walk with God. Being an early arrival is certainly not without its drawbacks. Loneliness, being judged or misunderstood. Frontline attacks from a very worried enemy.

But once one sees the fullness of the salvation God has wrought for us and willingly casts aside the old nature rather than trying to kill it or reform it, the joy of the Lord makes everything worth it.

My one goal now is that others can see what we have up till now missed. How to put on and walk in the new man as an overcomer, victorious over the world, the flesh and the devil.

blessings to you, dear brother

Gids

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which denomination is the true one? For both Catholics and Protestants, I am sure each one of you will most likely have an answer, for one reason or another. But.... is it the right answer? The subject matter is important, and I beg you understand. My intent is certainly not to disparage any particular denomination with what I am about to share here. But here is something to ruminate on.

If one is truly preaching the pure unadulterated gospel, what happens? The gospel works! A good tree produces good fruit. Many are convinced that their particular brand of Christianity is the God centered one, as I am sure you do yours. We base this on what we perceive to be what the true gospel is, so we congregate with others of like mind.

But what if we based it on the type of saint that gospel produced? In other words, what if we based our assessment of any split or denomination upon what God had promised us? If we are to know them by their fruits, then shouldn't a major factor in determining who actually possesses.... or in this particular case.... is possessed by the truth?

Here is the sad truth. It is here that things get dicey for every single denomination on the planet. All 500+ of them. Yours. Mine. Ours. Theirs. Catholic. Protestant. Orthodox. Why? Because Jesus said that if we abide in Him, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are walking in God’s will, we will love Him with our whole heart and our neighbor as ourselves. We will love not the world, nor the things in the world. We will be single eyed, full of joy, and walk as overcomers with our shields of faith up, quenching all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Jesus PROMISED us that. It is our birthright, and it is time we finally possessed it, amen?

We must understand. We see these things as goals. They are not. They are fruits of the truth. Simply put, truly pure teaching of the real gospel WILL produce much fruit, amen? Those who walk the path will find the FREE INDED Jesus spoke of, free of committing sin. (His words, not mine). So how are we doing? How is your particular denomination of choice doing? Mine? Yeah, same as yours.

Now you may be honing in on the purpose of my OP. How do we react when we hear Jesus’s description as to what will happen when the real gospel is proclaimed correctly? Do we not get defensive, a bit angry, frustrated, trying to defend what we have put so much trust in?

Look, I get it. I do. Our identification, our feeling of security, comes from our affiliation with others of the same mindset. But at what point do we say "Something is off." This is what we need to face. Our security is not in Christ. Subtly, it has become our "group" that makes us feel we possess the truth. Ahhh, but does the truth possess us? Do we not see? If our love for our denomination is greater than our love for other believers who perhaps do not see things is the same light as we do is, then according to the word of the God we serve, we are still carnal. No exceptions.

When we finally stop and scratch our heads and really question why this is, instead of defending our group based on our denomination’s long history or our huge size, or our superior teaching, that is a real first step in seeking for and finding the answer we need.

But as long as we continue to worship man-made institutions and place them on nearly equal footing with God Himself, nstead of crying out to our Father to bring our own lives to fulfill the standard listed above, to set us free indeed, sadly we will continue to wallow in our religion. And equally sadly, the world will continue to look at us and call us hypocrites. and rightly so.

Change IS coming. who will see it first? Those who hunger not to be in rbe right group, but those whose hearts are crying out for more of Jesus, those who refuse to accept anything less than abiding in Him and walking pleasibg to the one who bought us.

Blessings,

Gideon
The one that challenges us to grow and offers places where we can serve our neighbors the most? :scratch:
tulc(thinks each person has to discover that for themselves) :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.