• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Who'll be the next Pope?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Dave Ulchers, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Ulchers

Dave Ulchers Active Member

+0
    Anyone have the latest gossip regarding Papal candidates? I must confess some curiosity myself....

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tyler

Tyler Member

+0
    I've heard of a prophecy that the last Pope will be black. There is now a black cardinal in line to be the next Pope.
    I do not know for sure if this is true, maybe it will be another confirmation that we are living in the end times??

3. VOW

VOW Moderator

+15
    Catholic
    Married
    There was probably more "prophesy" about the Jubilee year 2000 being the herald of "end times."

A black or Asian-ancestry Pope would be a wonderful thing!

Peace be with you,
    ~VOW

4. Dave Ulchers

+0
    How come the Pope before John Paul II has always been Italian, since time immemorial? What changed? Are we likely to see another non-Italian, let alone a non-European?

5. AngelAmidala

AngelAmidala Legend

+617
    Methodist
    Single
    I'm not a Catholic...but just thinking about the current Pope dying is very sad. I know he's getting older and his health isn't great...but it's just so sad to see any leader of a church die. I felt the same way about Cardinal O'Connor in NYC.

6. Debbie

Debbie Active Member

+0
    ST. MAlachy, a Catholic saint has been predicting the Popes for many, many years, he had the gift of prophecy. Whether you believe it or not, he has predicted only 2 more Popes before the 2nd coming. THe next one is described as "Glory of the Olives", and the last one is "Peter the Roman".
    I am under the impression that the current best candidate to be Pope is a French Bishop of Jewish descent.

7. Catchup

Catchup Active Member

+1
    Christian
    Private
    The Pope dying makes me sad too. Especially now with the Church having problems. I wonder what strain all this is having on him.

God will wipe away his tears.

:) LOVE

8. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,717
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    1522 is "time immemorial"? Adrian VI was Flemo-Spanish.
    Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger, Archbishop of Paris. Whether he gets it or not is pure conjecture. Nobody ever thought that John XXIII or John Paul II would be the prime candidate either. The Holy Spirit installs whom He wills.

Personally, I'd like to see Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, but he's due to retire soon, unfortunately.

9. Religious Crisis

Religious Crisis God is a Consuming Fire!!!

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    How do they deside?

10. VOW

VOW Moderator

+15
    Catholic
    Married
  11. Dave Ulchers

+0
    Hey, the word "immemorial" wasn't even coined until 1602! :D I consider time immemorial to be prior to the oldest person you ever knew could have heard about something from the oldest person he or she ever knew. Four hundred and sixty-odd years is almost a quarter of the entire age of the Church, you have to consider!

That's true!

A brilliant theologian, though I had the impression he was a bit of a, how do the French say, bureaucrat. I agree he'd have been a shoe-in ten or fifteen years ago. :)

12. patriarch

patriarch Senior Member

+4
    Catholic
    1. Recent reading shows that the Americas now have the largest percentage of the Catholic population.

2. Whereas the Soviet Union was an enormous problem for the Church at the time Pope John Paul II was elected, and he was someone who was prepared to deal with the Soviets linguistically, philosophically and in virtue of pastoral experience, now the biggest problem for the Church is the raging secularism the United States is exporting all over the world.

3. Within the Church in the United States, and possibly the world, one of the most influential dioceses is Chicago, not necessarily for good.

4. Cdl George has six languages, is a highly regarded theologian, has vast international experience in virtue of being Superior General of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, an order of some 5,000 men.

5. IF he has time to whip the Archdiocese of Chicago into shape, say four to five years, it seems to me he is papabile par excellence.

6. As a mark of favor from Pope John Paul he was invited to preach the Lenten Retreat for the Papal household last year, just as Cdl Woytla had been by Pope Paul VI .

7. In general, I would keep an eye on those who have preached that retreat, eg, Cdl Hummes of Sao Paolo, Brazil this year.

Lee

13. niwde

niwde Member

+1
    black or white green or blue
    no1 cares
    so long he is the vicar of christ
    who cares

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.