Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does this saying mean?

I thought it meant that I should perhaps give up some of my dreams to do something more in line with a life with Christ. Is that true?

Yes, in a way this would include having dreams of your own that are not in line with God's Word. We are to seek first the Kingdom of God and all our basic needs will be met. For life is not in the abundance of one's possessions. Granted, that does not mean you cannot have a wife, or a house to live in (i.e. the basics), but we have to ask God for these things and we have to put God first in all we do. If our focus is about being successful and rich, that is not exactly a dream that is in line with God's Word (See 1 Timothy 6).

• Agree
Reactions: John Bowen
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What does this saying mean?

I thought it meant that I should perhaps give up some of my dreams to do something more in line with a life with Christ. Is that true?

Some explanatory additions:

Whoever seeks to save his (earthly, human) life will lose (his eternal life), and whoever loses his (earthly, human) life (for the sake of his faith) will preserve (his eternal life).

Upvote 0