✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was it Paul or Peter or someone else?

Is this contemporary contention a heresy?

I need to know the thrust of the discussion please thanks

The book of Hebrews has been tested and tried and is in total harmony with the rest of the bible and accepted as part of the canon. Divinely inspired.

As for the author, it seems as though it is not really known. It has been suggested of these people here:
Paul, Luke, Barnabas, Apollos, Philip, Priscilla, among others. Whoever it speaks of though, refers to Timothy as "brother" in 13:23 of Hebrews

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is not revealed.

(But Paul was certainly in a good position to have written it.)

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Paul was well educated from the sanhedrin and He would
have written a more formal teaching to the Hebrews.
He talks about the High Priest and compares Christ above all other orders of priesthood back to Melkelsdec.

I believe Hebrews was written by Paul,as well it's context
Is in the Pauline line as with all other singular names for titles of books that Paul had written.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Was it Paul
Yes, Paul inspired by the authorship of the Holy Spirit wrote the epistle to the Hebrews.
Also given that he was a learned Pharisee who better than Paul to pen this great doctrinal work on
the Old Testament Law and sacrifices and their replacement by a new and living way through the great
High Priest Jesus, God the Son.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

We know it wasn't one of the original apostles because the author says this: Hebrew 2:1, “[The message] was declared first by the Master, and it was attested to us by those who heard.”

This means he was probably a disciple of one of the original twelve, or possibly of Paul. He seems to write with some authority, as one transmitting an apostolic tradition (cf. Heb 5:7)

The early church thought it was Paul, but there are some things that mitigate against this. First, the Greek is excellent, unlike Paul's. Second, the theology is not particularly Pauline. Third, this epistle is written to Jewish believers and Paul's mission was to Gentiles.

There are clues though that indicate it may have been written by someone in Paul's entourage. For instance, the epistle references Timothy's release from prison and the author's anticipation of his arrival.

Clement of Alexandria cites traditions for Luke and Clement of Rome as authors. (Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, 3.38.2)

I think Clement of Rome fits the bill, as does Eusebius:

Others claim that it was Clement himself. This seems more probable because the epistle of Clement and that to the Hebrews have a similar character in regard to style, and still further because the thoughts contained in the two works are not very different. (Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 3.38:2–3)​

Modern scholars reject Clement, mostly on theological grounds because Clement held a high view of Temple and its services as a model for the Christian church.

Upvote 0