Who would you more likely leave inheritance to when you die, given THESE choices?

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How well off would a Christian friend have to NOT be in order for you to leave them a substantial inheritance amount when you die, or would it matter?

This is talking about a non-family member with no relation whatever....just a person that was always nice to you without expecting anything in return and who you think wouldn't blow the money on stupid stuff, and maybe even leave it to their own kids or spouse if they themselves died without spending it all. Would you still choose them as a beneficiary if you felt like they were already financially secure, or would become so in retirement due to their own (and/or spouses) good income? What if they were married and you know little to nothing about the spouse who they might spend the money with, or leave the money to when they die? Would that make a difference? (I have a church friend whose 18-yr husband rarely comes to church with her, and she volunteers her service all the time. I wonder if they are 'equally yoked.')

Or would you be more inclined to choose someone who seemed to be of more modest means, judging by the house they lived in, car they drove, occupation, number of kids who might benefit from their inheritance when they die if they don't spend it all, etc.

Or would you choose a 3rd option, a non-profit of some sort, before leaving it to any type of 'friend,' well off or not? Would you be afraid that the non-profit would just use the money to give their employees raises, especially when their organization's board is made up of friends that are more than willing to vote in a raise at the next possible opportunity? I don't see how there's any way to know the salaries of top management and the true needs of a non-profit who doesn't open up their books, showing specific salaries and bonuses of individuals, rather than just a total number for all salaries combined, which doesn't tell how much the founders of the non-profit are padding THEIR pockets. Yes, this concern includes churches, which I'm strongly leaning against leaving money to cause I don't trust how their powers-at-be would decide to spend it. I'd rather someone invest the money and personally benefit from it long term, themselves and/or their offspring, giving offering to the church as they so chose over time.

NOTE: This is not asking what I COULD do from a legal or moral sense. I already know what I COULD do. I'm asking what *YOU* would do given the circumstances I've listed, or other ideas I may not have thought of.

Last edited:

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟477,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How well off would a Christian friend have to NOT be in order for you to leave them a substantial inheritance amount when you die, or would it matter?

Your hypothetical reminds me of people who win the lottery and end up broke a few years later. Some people simply don't know how to manage a large inheritance. That would be a primary concern for me. I'd want to know that the money was going to be used in a fairly responsible way and not simply thrown away.

Or would you choose a 3rd option, a non-profit of some sort,

I agree with you that it's hard to know where the money is going when you give to a non-profit. I would only leave money with a non-profit that I knew was using the bulk of their funds to help others rather than administrative cost.

• Informative
Reactions: justme6272
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd want to know that the money was going to be used in a fairly responsible way and not simply thrown away.

That's called controlling your money from the grave. ;)

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could you form a small trust of say three persons you know well to administer within guidelines you set?
I've thought about that, but I've never understood who polices the trustees to make sure things get done right and they don't get tempted to slip themselves a quick little money transfer from the trust to their own account. I guess that's why they call it a 'trust'....if you can't trust the trustees, maybe you should burn the money with a match on a street corner, $20 at a time, and make national news for being a nut. More seriously, I've always wondered what happens when the trustee dies. If each set of trustees, or even a single trustee, doesn't replace themselves in time, then what? And of course, being dead, I have no idea what's really happening or if the person(s) they chose is a crook or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
As a whole, I take the Bible less literally than probably 98% of the posters in C.F., especially the Old Testament. However, Jesus' warning in Matthew about what will happen if we fail to feed the hungry and clothe the naked I take very seriously. Hence, I would leave a token amount to the wealthy close friend and a modest amount to friends who have not so much. However, the bulk of what I have I would leave to non-profit relief agencies who help those in need.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you considered spending it yourself to good causes instead of leaving it to someone when you pass?

If I ever won a lottery I wouldn't give it away. I'd quite my job and spend it myself in a full time quest of finding people who needed it and give it away in a way I thought it would be most effective for that person/organization as I went along. I'd set up a few need based scholarship funds for students who wanted to serve X organization upon graduating, etc.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would base that on character and their demonstration of godly stewardship. I don’t care what a person has. I’m concerned how they use their resources. Irresponsibility comes in all flavors and non-profits are not exempt. I prefer foundations for charitable endeavors. There’s greater oversight.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

This is talking about a non-family member with no relation whatever....just a person that was always nice to you without expecting anything in return and who you think wouldn't blow the money on stupid stuff, and maybe even leave it to their own kids or spouse if they themselves died without spending it all. Would you still choose them as a beneficiary if you felt like they were already financially secure, or would become so in retirement due to their own (and/or spouses) good income? What if they were married and you know little to nothing about the spouse who they might spend the money with, or leave the money to when they die? Would that make a difference? (I have a church friend whose 18-yr husband rarely comes to church with her, and she volunteers her service all the time. I wonder if they are 'equally yoked.')

Or would you be more inclined to choose someone who seemed to be of more modest means, judging by the house they lived in, car they drove, occupation, number of kids who might benefit from their inheritance when they die if they don't spend it all, etc.

Or would you choose a 3rd option, a non-profit of some sort, before leaving it to any type of 'friend,' well off or not? Would you be afraid that the non-profit would just use the money to give their employees raises, especially when their organization's board is made up of friends that are more than willing to vote in a raise at the next possible opportunity? I don't see how there's any way to know the salaries of top management and the true needs of a non-profit who doesn't open up their books, showing specific salaries and bonuses of individuals, rather than just a total number for all salaries combined, which doesn't tell how much the founders of the non-profit are padding THEIR pockets. Yes, this concern includes churches, which I'm strongly leaning against leaving money to cause I don't trust how their powers-at-be would decide to spend it. I'd rather someone invest the money and personally benefit from it long term, themselves and/or their offspring, giving offering to the church as they so chose over time.

NOTE: This is not asking what I COULD do from a legal or moral sense. I already know what I COULD do. I'm asking what *YOU* would do given the circumstances I've listed, or other ideas I may not have thought of.

Personally I would use all cash I could spare , apart from giving my Children some money , towards preaching gospel like donating to missionary . Avoid these non-profit scams they actually do profit and profit alot.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you considered spending it yourself to good causes instead of leaving it to someone when you pass?

If I ever won a lottery I wouldn't give it away. I'd quite my job and spend it myself in a full time quest of finding people who needed it and give it away in a way I thought it would be most effective for that person/organization as I went along. I'd set up a few need based scholarship funds for students who wanted to serve X organization upon graduating, etc.
That's fine if you feel you have more assets than you'll ever need to live on yourself, but that's not my situation. In fact, I've seen lots of articles on the Internet which describe how most people haven't saved enough to retire on, and may very well 'outlive their money.' That would be pitiful to be 85 years old and homeless cause you gave away assets you really couldn't afford to give away. I don't trust this bubble economy and neither should anyone else. The vast majority should have a much larger 'nest egg' saved up than they do to truly be secure, myself included. And a responsible person will have their ducks lined up in order should they die unexpectedly, whatever that entails. The most famous person I've heard of with money who died without a will was John Denver. (experimental airplane crash he was piloting off the California coast).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've thought about that, but I've never understood who polices the trustees to make sure things get done right and they don't get tempted to slip themselves a quick little money transfer from the trust to their own account. I guess that's why they call it a 'trust'....if you can't trust the trustees, maybe you should burn the money with a match on a street corner, $20 at a time, and make national news for being a nut. More seriously, I've always wondered what happens when the trustee dies. If each set of trustees, or even a single trustee, doesn't replace themselves in time, then what? And of course, being dead, I have no idea what's really happening or if the person(s) they chose is a crook or not.

You can specify how the trust is to operate.
e.g. Trust must have three members. Two remaining will agree on replacement.
Must operate on unaniminity not consensus.
Must have open audited accounts. Must contract qualified accountant. Must engage independent to review it's performance.... and so on....
Constitution includes statement of purpose and scope of activities.... This issue would be a good thread on it's own!

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Assuming you don't have family to leave money to, you need to make sure whoever you plan to leave money to will be a Godly steward of that money. If you're going to leave it to a non-profit, is it a Church that will advance the gospel of Christ or is it something stupid and worldly like an animal shelter?

I don't have a concrete answer for you because there are too many question marks. At the end of the day, once you're dead the money won't matter to you and your control over it is limited to your will and may or may not be followed.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you're going to leave it to a non-profit, is it a Church that will advance the gospel of Christ or is it something stupid and worldly like an animal shelter?
Why is an animal shelter stupid and worldly? What should happen to all the stray unwanted dogs and cats?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is an animal shelter stupid and worldly? What should happen to all the stray unwanted dogs and cats?

Jonah 4:
11“Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?”

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Stray cats and dogs are nothing compared to human souls. I'm sick to death of people treating these animals as though they're people or even children. Dogs are pleasant enough to have around but compared to people they're utterly worthless. I can't imagine a Christian leaving their fortune behind to a dog catcher when there are unsaved people in the world.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0