Who would you invite over for afternoon tea?

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A few..

Living Paul Washer. Think about the only pastor I ever respected when I myself was a Christian.

Dead.. Saint Therese Of Lisieux.. probably the most pleasant of conversations.. although I'd need a French interpreter.

Not saying he's a good Christian or anything.. but it would be interesting to have a chat with Albert Fish.. albeit I'd need some security with me.. > _ >

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A few..

Living Paul Washer. Think about the only pastor I ever respected when I myself was a Christian.

Dead.. Saint Therese Of Lisieux.. probably the most pleasant of conversations.. although I'd need a French interpreter.

Not saying he's a good Christian or anything.. but it would be interesting to have a chat with Albert Fish.. albeit I'd need some security with me.. > _ >
I would have loved to have met St Therese of Lisieux as well.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
If I had to invite a biblical character, then my choice would be Zacchaeus the tax collector.

I'd like to know how far he managed to climb up that sycamore tree, given how short he was in stature, and how he managed to do it without the invention of the ladder.

A man who was despised by his own society, I'd love to know how Zacchaeus felt in having our gracious Lord coming to his home as a guest. Something must have happened to him during his conversation at his home because he had become a totally new man.

If a prominent, important and highly influential person set aside time out of their busy schedule to come and visit me in my little home, I would feel extremely humbled, unworthy and inadequate. Even more so if it was it was a king or queen. How Zacchaeus must have felt when God Himself, chose to visit him in his home, personally and intimately, without condemnation or judgement, without enmity but with true friendship and kinship.

Over tea and cakes, I think I'd be talking to Zacchaeus for a very long time.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have been to the supermarket and bought some fine tea and have been busy making fresh crumpets and scones.

Which Christian personality would you invite over for afternoon tea?

Maybe you need someone to give you some advice, to cheer you up, to help you gain a perspective on life. Perhaps someone who inspires you and whose conversation you would find interesting. Perhaps someone with a love for life and a good sense of humour to brighten up your day.

Who would get your invite? (You can invite more than one person if you like!)

... I'd wager that Pascal would provide me an interesting chat over tea. Paul the Apostle, too. But then it just wouldn't be right not to have @public hermit there. So, he'd have to be there too! And just for additional tea-time kicks, I suppose I'd also keep the door open for just about anyone who would likely mosey on in to this thread. :cool:

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have been to the supermarket and bought some fine tea and have been busy making fresh crumpets and scones.

Maybe you need someone to give you some advice, to cheer you up, to help you gain a perspective on life. Perhaps someone who inspires you and whose conversation you would find interesting. Perhaps someone with a love for life and a good sense of humour to brighten up your day.

Charles Spurgeon. I loved reading his sermons. He actually tried to explain the bible instead of interpreting it. I would also invite Kenneth Copeland to see the conversation between the two.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Must my guest be a Christian? I'd like to converse with Bob Dylan. Our greatest living songwriter, and the only one ever to win a Nobel Prize for literature. He was born into a Jewish family, but he became a Christian for several years in the 80s. He later returned to Judaism. I'm not sure what his religious beliefs are now. But I'd much rather discuss his music and lyrics. And over a few beers instead of tea.

If it were possible to invite a deceased person, my choice would be Frank Lloyd Wright. Besides music, I'm a big fan of architecture. I admire FLW's work immensely. As a person, he could be very difficult--saying he was a horse's rear end is putting it mildly. He knew he was a genius, and did not suffer fools lightly. But it'd be the thrill of a lifetime to pick his brain. And we wouldn't be having tea--his beverage of choice was Irish whiskey. And he'd only want the top shelf stuff--like Middleton, or well aged Redbreast. At $300+ a bottle. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you considered being a stunt double?

Unfortunately they couldnt afford my wages. Plus, i refuse to go on set if there any stinky cats on there!

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would have invited Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Stephen Hawkins, Leonard Nimoy, and Princess Diana. The Trekkie in me would gleefully invite Sir Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner to tea. I wouldn't say no to any of the other cast members of Star Trek: TNG if they asked if they could come along too.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Christian personality". Hmm. I'd be more eager to invite friends I haven't seen in a while or something, but... let's see here...

If I had to go with someone well-known or "famous", I'd probably pick Dr. Charles Stanley. I love his quiet, warm demeanor, and solid faith. He's like the grandfather I wish I'd had.

If we could pick dead people, I'd take Keith Green. I'd just love a conversation with him, having spent my whole life with his music, admiring his passion and heart. So sad that he was taken from us in the prime of his life.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Crikey, if we're going for anyone who ever lived in the whole history of the world, these lists are going to be endless!!

Add Tolkien to mine, though I probably wouldn't talk so much about faith directly. I'd probably just sit in awe with my mouth hanging open to be in the presence of such unfathomable, creative genius.

Beside him can be Oswald Chambers. I've kept a copy of "My Utmost For His Highest" for many years. Anytime I feel ready to be challenged, called out, and put on the spot, I pick it up. It's not a book for the faint-hearted or weak of faith.

Upvote 0