Who would you invite over for afternoon tea?

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
You have been to the supermarket and bought some fine tea and have been busy making fresh crumpets and scones.

Which Christian personality would you invite over for afternoon tea?

Maybe you need someone to give you some advice, to cheer you up, to help you gain a perspective on life. Perhaps someone who inspires you and whose conversation you would find interesting. Perhaps someone with a love for life and a good sense of humour to brighten up your day.

Who would get your invite? (You can invite more than one person if you like!)

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh I would invite @bèlla simply because I think she would really appreciate it. Especially the scones and crumpets. I don't really bake for anybody, but putting on one of these English rituals would give me a few extra notches of class. :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh I would invite @bèlla simply because I think she would really appreciate it. Especially the scones and crumpets. I don't really bake for anybody, but putting on one of these English rituals would give me a few extra notches of class. :)

Oh Pavel, now you’re speaking my language! :)

~bella

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'd probably invite Keith and Kristyn Getty to give me some ideas for music writing.

Desmond Tutu for the conversation, his love for life and his astute sense of humour

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,673.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not a Christian anymore, but I'd love to have the current pope over to visit. The more I hear from him, the more admiration I have.

Other Christians I'd love to chat with are Richard Swinburne (I agree with almost everything he writes, right up to the point where he starts talking about necessary and propositional faith), and N T Wright (because I would like to know how I could agree with his opinions on historical topics and disagree with his opinions on current events so vehemently).

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I’d invite John Michael Talbot because he’s inspiring, humorous and I love his music. Perhaps he’ll bring his guitar and sing a song or two.
I love John Michael Talbot's music too.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’d invite John Michael Talbot because he’s inspiring, humorous and I love his music. Perhaps he’ll bring his guitar and sing a song or two.

I got a number of his CD's too. He started a You-tube video Vlog show from a few years ago.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much anyone from my church would work...Egyptians love tea!

Specifically, HG Bishop Suriel of Los Angeles (formerly Melbourne, Australia). Not only is he basically a native English speaker (he was born in Egypt, but his family immigrated to Australia when he was three), so neither of us would have to worry about language barriers, but he is always very morally strong and yet practical. Some of his talks remind me of the desert fathers in that way.

He is also not afraid to discuss sensitive issues that many others shy away from, so it could be pretty well assumed that we'd be able to have a good conversation. He has a podcast with episodes on topics like Copts and race in America, how to better the quality of theological education among Copts in the west, and so on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would have invited Princess Diana. Her humanitarian spirit was inspiring. I’d seek her input on success, the press, and how to use your platform to serve those in need.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You have been to the supermarket and bought some fine tea and have been busy making fresh crumpets and scones.

Which Christian personality would you invite over for afternoon tea?

Maybe you need someone to give you some advice, to cheer you up, to help you gain a perspective on life. Perhaps someone who inspires you and whose conversation you would find interesting. Perhaps someone with a love for life and a good sense of humour to brighten up your day.

Who would get your invite? (You can invite more than one person if you like!)
Anthony, I would make my apple shortcake especially for you, so come to tea and brighten my day :)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Anthony, I would make my apple shortcake especially for you, so come to tea and brighten my day :)
I might forget the crumpets and scones, your apple shortcake sounds really delicious! :)

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mary Magdalene, to get the inside track and a more realistic view than from later men trying to build religious empires made of sand. Of course she would probably bring her friend Mother Mary whom I hear was single in her later years. Tea and an afternoon of reality without all the pretentious burdens that have been placed upon them. Just real people whom I suppose will be talking about their plans for Hanukkah during the covid crisis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
C.S. Lewis is a natural choice.

The Apostle John is my favorite Apostle, so definitely him.
I've heard a lot about C S Lewis, through conversations with others, and his books are held in high regard. I've not discovered his books yet - perhaps I need to buy one!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard a lot about C S Lewis, through conversations with others, and his books are held in high regard. I've not discovered his books yet - perhaps I need to buy one!
I highly recommend Mere Christianity - I found it both intellectually stimulating and morally challenging.

In any case, I picked him because he would have interesting things to say, and I think he would be intellectually curious enough to ask me things, too.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I highly recommend Mere Christianity - I found it both intellectually stimulating and morally challenging.

In any case, I picked him because he would have interesting things to say, and I think he would be intellectually curious enough to ask me things, too.
During all the years I have been in church, he is probably the author that has been the most often quoted! Yes, Mere Christianity would definitely be worth reading. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy sometime!

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course, the "correct" theological answer is Jesus. But that aside and also considering that He is ALREADY there, I dare not make myself, or them, so vulnerable to answer such a question, esp. on a public venue, but I do have had a few in mind. I have thought of doing just that, well, minus tea and crones and whatever, unless they liked, but I doubt it. For us it probably would be French Vanilla or other Hazelnut? coffee and large cinnamon rolls/muffins made with sweet yeast dough and tons of cinnamon/brown sugar rolled into them and on top, just one for each, unless they insisted, as it would be a tremendous splurge but worth the embellishment of the time together.

No need for conversation. Just to sit at peace and enjoy each other's silent, non-threatening, supportive presence would be a wonderfully, glorious treat. I do not think that many realize the value and significance of this any more, "There is no time for such non-productive nonsense," you could hear today while that is all for which one's child, or friend, yearns

So why haven't I, you may ask? House is in major "construction mode" with still half of floors ripped up, ceiling still being mudded and leveled for finish coats where sky light was, hand rail at front door/deck still waiting for cement to set good on lower 4x4, cold weather has significantly slowed process, so I can finish upper part where the handrail goes (if I do prematurely could dislodge adhesion and structural integrity of posts foundation) and same exists for 3 hand rail posts in ground out back coming up deck to slider (wide opening of 10 ft), and soooo much more all over in and out. Due to aneurysm and other things like Covid by me and wife and old age unpredictables and disabilities and two 1990 vehicles constantly screaming for my attention work is years in making. By the way I have a second house we are moving to which ALSO has floors ripped up and such being worked on by me an hour away, SO I am a little too busy for being able to just sit back and relax. When I try, no matter where I go, things are there to jump on my back and scream "FINISH ME!" Even if I go somewhere else they jump in a back pack on my shoulders and do the same screaming and convicting me: "Why are you doing this when there is so much work to get done?" Hence, my sailboat and bass boat sit unused for years. Sound pathetic? I know and I AM getting out of it but it is not an overnight or even a year long thing. If I were younger much more would be possible, but.... one day at a time. But the light I can now see at the end of the tunnel. Soon,....... The Lord is helping me persevere and continue on. I'd have ripped what's left of my hair out and head off by now if He were not here. Praise, Praise. Praise the Lord of All!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Mary Magdalene, to get the inside track and a more realistic view than from later men trying to build religious empires made of sand. Of course she would probably bring her friend Mother Mary whom I hear was single in her later years. Tea and an afternoon of reality without all the pretentious burdens that have been placed upon them. Just real people whom I suppose will be talking about their plans for Hanukkah during the covid crisis.
i'd invite her husband Joseph, one of the most underrated and underappreciated Godly and obedient and humble men of the Bible.

Upvote 0