✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Trick question, in a way.
One man spends his life reading the Bible. Another spends his life diligently obeying the Lord’s commandments. Who might you expect to be the wiser?

The one who diligently obeys the Lord's commandments has also spent his life reading the Bible. Otherwise, he would not know what the Lord commands.

Which is better, to go to school and get the education necessary to become a surgeon, or to spend that time performing surgery?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Trick question, in a way.

The one who diligently obeys the Lord's commandments has also spent his life reading the Bible. Otherwise, he would not know what the Lord commands.

Which is better, to go to school and get the education necessary to become a surgeon, or to spend that time performing surgery?
Well, yes, to obey the commandments, it is helpful to read the Bible.

Some people will get fancy degrees in Bible study at college, though, and become highly lauded people, but they never obey the commandments and never understand the Lord's will.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One man spends his life reading the Bible. Another spends his life diligently obeying the Lord’s commandments. Who might you expect to be the wiser?
The one who reads the Bible... If the Holy Spirit is guiding them into what they need to understand..

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you find it easy to resist all the temptations Satan throws at you, good for you.

It helps, if you understand the matter correctly. However, if the matter is something that one really wants, it is really hard to hear and understand, if it would mean that one has to reject it

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The one who reads the Bible... If the Holy Spirit is guiding them into what they need to understand..
If you don't obey the commandments, then you gain no understanding.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It helps, if you understand the matter correctly. However, if the matter is something that one really wants, it is really hard to hear and understand, if it would mean that one has to reject it

Perhaps you should rephrase that.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We have the answer here -

Proverbs 13:14
The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you should rephrase that.

I meant, it is easier to resist temptation, when one understands correctly why it is not good. But, if the not good thing is something that one really wants, it is difficult to hear and understand why it is not good. And in those cases, it is like what happened to Eve. When person doesn’t want to hear the truth, person probably will listen to voice that says, “it is not bad, because it gives something to you”. And then the person listens the voice that says what the person wants to hear and does something that is not good.

That voice who says “it is not bad, because it gives something to you”, can be called Satan. But he is not really the biggest problem people have. He just says what people want to hear, when they don’t want to hear the truth. Obviously, it is bad to deceive people, but it is on peoples own hands to choose do they listen truth or lie. I believe people always know in their heart what is the truth, but often that voice is repressed when the voice of truth is something that person doesn’t want to hear. And in those cases when person thinks how he could explain the wrong choice, Satan may be helpful by giving nice excuses.

Of course, it is nicer to blame somebody else when choosing evil, but it is always person’s own fault if he/she chooses lie over truth.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you don't obey the commandments, then you gain no understanding.

Nope. I totally disagree with that.. If you agree with the comandments then you will tend towards obeying them..

Doing the laws does not then cause you to understand the laws..

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have a minor in Bible and studied lots of scripture and thought I really knew more and was more spiritual and wiser than any Christian, but then I met a group of guys who had just opened the Bible a year earlier, never went to Bible class, could hardly read and in fact some could not read, yet these guys where Spiritual giants in the Kingdom.

My experience went like this:

I got thrown into (volunteered if needed) with the youth (13-21 age) prisoners program teaching Bible (one hour on Sunday morning to a group of 14 with three other Christians teaching groups of 14) and taught three groups of “Christians”. The first group is guys (going to school it is called) that start out their stay causing trouble getting thrown in the tank. Then they start increasingly attending the services, carrying their Bible, being nice, and say they are Christians. By the time the parole board meets they have this glowing report showing continued improvement tied to their increased spirituality and are released. These guys still carry weapons, are members of a gang, and every prisoner know they just “went to school” to get out. The second group were converted before they went to prison (grandma conversions), but watch raunchy TV, hang with a loss group, laugh at off colored jokes, are not always talking about Jesus and are not trying to convert others. Their first day in prison the snitches see this, the snitches talk to the Bulls that approach these “Christians” saying you are not a Christian (doing everything Christ would do) and make them a slave (often sexual) or at best gang member. They still come to Bible study on Sunday so they can tell Granny (who visits them Sunday afternoon) what they learned, but they are slaves (sometimes sexually) to some bull. The third group is fanatical, they stick close to each other, they: study, pray, witness to everyone, and avoid even a hint of insincerity that the snitches could see. They carry no weapons, but step between those that are being beaten especially in persecution. This group had grown over the last 3 years from just a couple of guys to now 42, but it came at a high price. Each convert had on the day he was baptized given up the protection of his gang membership, turned over his weapons along with all his possessions (the gang owns everything including them), they were beaten if not by the gang they left, then by other gangs looking for payback and then they were watch constantly looking for any sign the snitches might interpret as weakness (anything less than what Christ would do in the situation, would result in a beating and it could be to death). There is absolutely no privacy and these Christians never wanted to be found alone. They slept in barracks where at least one stayed awake all night praying over them so they could sleep without the fear of being smashed in the head in the middle of the night. These guys believed and counted on power from the Holy Spirit, I did not know existed. They come battered and bruised each week hungry for some real meaningful Christ like lesson that goes beyond their group study of 40+hours that week on the same subject, which I could not provide. They mostly helped me with my poor example of Christianity and lack of knowledge and lack of wisdom. They mentored me even though they were only Christian for a few months, but I was a poor disciple and could not keep up with them.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums