Who will we have authority over in heaven?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
1 Cor. 6:
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Open question. Who will we be kings and priests towards if everyone is a king and priest?

Be blessed

Rev 20
hen I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

Rev 2
26 He who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations; 27 and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are broken to pieces, as I also have received authority from My Father;

during the 1000 years the saints judge the cases of the wicked for each one of the wicked will be tormented in the lake of fire - according to their deeds. hence the "rod of iron" statement.

Judging fallen angels and wicked mankind

1 Cor 6
2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The church are the kings and priests. Then there's the nations that during the Messianic Millennium will need to be trained to keep God's covenant and thereby be blessed.

There will always be people of flesh and blood even after the earth undergoes the cleansing by fire. Because God is eternal and there's a vast universe full of galaxies and planet systems waiting out there to be fully inhabited.
The apostle Paul said "In the ages to come He will show the exceeding riches of His grace in kindness toward us through Jesus Christ." God plans on keeping humanity going forever.. even as the universe expands.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Open question. Who will we be kings and priests towards if everyone is a king and priest?

Be blessed

"And God blessed them. And God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth." - Genesis 1:28
"The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it." - Genesis 2:15

This was man's original purpose--to have dominion over creation, that is, to care for it, to be God's steward of it, to tend to it.

God created man to be the image-bearing creature, that which reflects God into the world (and, we might say, also to reflect creation back to God). Thus human beings were created to rule and to tend--to be kings and priests in God's Temple, Heaven and Earth,

"Thus says the LORD: The heavens are My throne, and the earth is My footstool; what is the house that you would build for Me, and what is the place of My rest? All these things My hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD." - Isaiah 66:1-2a

It is not that we shall be kings over other people. And this is important I think, because Christ in the Gospels is very clear about what God's kingdom is like and what it looks like. God's kingdom isn't about the dynamics of power of lording over others, but rather through service. Christ is the King, and He is the One who gives His life for all. The One who reigns forever and ever is the Lamb who was slain.

How shall we be kings and priests in the glorious future Age? As humble servants of one another, under the Royal Lordship of God the Holy Trinity, living in harmony with the whole of creation now restored, healed, and glorified in Christ.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be His people, and God Himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.'" - Revelation 21:1-4

"And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb." - Revelation 21:22-23

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is not that we shall be kings over other people.

Thanks for your post. But I'm wondering in light of verses that say we will be given control of x number of cities. In the parable of the talents for example

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your post. But I'm wondering in light of verses that say we will be given control of x number of cities. In the parable of the talents for example

Where does the Parable of the Talents mention that we'll be given control of any cities? The Parable of the Talents is about being faithful disciples as we serve the Lord in this life until He comes again.

The only city mentioned as existing in the Age to Come is the new Jerusalem, which is symbolic of God's People and the union of heaven and earth in the future world.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understand what it means to rule over a group, since it is nothing like the way nonbelievers rule over others.
How did Christ "rule over others while He was here on earth?"
You become a foot washer, you have to babysit them, you are constantly having to be this example of good, you have to be extremely patient, you have got to step in to help them, they argue with you, they are so childish, they leave you at the drop of a hat, and you have got to sacrificially Love them. This sounds like a lot of thankless work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums