Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Goodbook, Jesus didn't hate them, He hated their "deeds" (Revelation 2:6). Here's a short excerpt about them from one of my commentaries:

The teaching of the Nicolaitans led to the same wicked behavior as that of the followers of Balaam. The Nicolaitans derived their name from Nicholas, one of the seven men chosen to oversee the distribution of food in Acts 6. Whether he became an apostate (as some of the early church fathers believed) or the Nicolaitans, his followers, perverted his teachings is not known. Abusing the biblical teaching on Christian liberty, the Nicolaitans also taught that Christians could participate in pagan orgies. They seduced the church with immorality and idolatry. MacArthur, J. F., Jr. Revelation 1–11

Merry Christmas,
David

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks For answering my question forgot I asked this...i did find out on another forum.

The deeds today would in include things like participating in inappropriate contentography right? I can't believe that some christians think its ok. And that its normal.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks For answering my question forgot I asked this...i did find out on another forum.

The deeds today would in include things like participating in inappropriate contentography right? I can't believe that some christians think its ok. And that its normal.

Hi Goodbook, there are a lot of folks who "call" themselves Christians, and may even believe themselves to be Christians but, frighteningly, they are not (Matthew 7:22-23; Matthew 13:24-25). St. James was right, a person's claim of being a Christian can only be proven true .. or not (to themselves and to others) by their deeds (James 2:14-24).

"Deeds" are not what save us however (Matthew 7:22; John 3:16; John 5:24; John 20:31; Romans 4:5; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5..........)

Yours and His,
David

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And why did Jesus hate them?

My view is that the term "Nicolaitans" is a cryptic reference to the Romans and their pagan culture of dominance as is reflected in their political structures and their "social" and "artistic" trappings. So, Jesus isn't too happy when His people imitate the Roman way of doing things ...

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahu_

Nov 16, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
✟18,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't know where you get that idea. My understand of the nicolaitions was that they misused authority. Those that ruled verses those that lead and serve. They are the 'least in the kingdom' because of their desire to rule on earth.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was on another thread someone explained it, in the historical record (extra biblical) of who the Nicolatians were. It could have been a bit of both, misusing authority AND involvement in sexual impropriety. Which still happens amongst some so-called churches today, sadly.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with those who say the Nicolaitanes were those who misused authority. As a hierarchical church structure was gradually imposed on the local assemblies, the laity were excluded from having a voice.

It was only "deeds" in the Ephesian church (Revelation 2:6) but had become a "doctrine" in the Pergamean church (Revelation 2:15). This is one of the reasons I believe the letters to the churches have a prophetical/historical application.

Acts 20:29-30, 3 John 1:9, and 2 Timothy 4:14-15 give examples of the deeds of the "Nicolaitanes" in the early church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahu_

Nov 16, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
✟18,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Goodbook, Jesus didn't hate them, He hated their "deeds" (Revelation 2:6). Here's a short excerpt about them from one of my commentaries:

The teaching of the Nicolaitans led to the same wicked behavior as that of the followers of Balaam. The Nicolaitans derived their name from Nicholas, one of the seven men chosen to oversee the distribution of food in Acts 6. Whether he became an apostate (as some of the early church fathers believed) or the Nicolaitans, his followers, perverted his teachings is not known. Abusing the biblical teaching on Christian liberty, the Nicolaitans also taught that Christians could participate in pagan orgies. They seduced the church with immorality and idolatry. MacArthur, J. F., Jr. Revelation 1–11

Merry Christmas,
David
Actually the error of Balaam was casting a stumbling block before others and chasing rewards. It just so happened that Baalam told Balak to send in the Moabitess women as that stumbling block so Yah would curse them for violating his own law.

I hope you are not confusing Balaam (the man) with Baalim (the Canaanite pantheon of gods).

Jude covers a 'spirit of Balaam' (attribute) as one of 3 that are the 'ungodly men' that have infiltrated the church.

Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

So they follow the ways of Balaam, they attack their brother for correcting them, and try to gain false authority like the rebellion of Korah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums