Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The story of Joachim and Anna reminds us of the power of faith in God and his providence. Many years ago I am convinced God used this story to show me that I should not be afraid of my desires, that it was OK to take them to God in prayer, to be like Anna and to pray for things that were weighing on me like a burden, to have the humility to do so. I had a strong sense of identification with St. Anna, I too felt "barren" and cut-off.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That was before he was a Lutheran, before he even became a Monk; Luther, based on his study of Scripture concluded later in life that the Saints:
  1. Do intercede for us
  2. They may be able to hear our prayers
  3. Since we don't know that they do actually hear our prayers, but we do know that God does through the intercession of Jesus Christ, we should only pray to God through Christ.
  4. Saints bear witness to the Gospel, therefore we honor them, as both witnesses and examples.

Before Luther became Lutheran--that's funny :) I know what you mean...but it's still funny lol! :grinning: I always found it a bit ironic that Luther asked Anne to save him in a thunderstorm...he gets saved...then goes on to conclude that we should not ask the saints for help.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ioachim and Anna.
Both geneologies in the Gospels are of Joseph.
Joseph's fathers were half brothers from the same mother but with different fathers, their mother having remarried after becoming a widow after the birth of her first son. The eldest son married but died before producing an heir, so his younger brother lay with his dead brother's wife to raise up seed for his brother in accordance with the law. That is how Joseph has two fathers.

Interesting. Whence does thou draw thine info?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mary's lineage is listed in Matthew 1

Matthew 1:16 should read:
And Jacob begat Joseph the father of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ

Based on the number of generations listed in Matthew 1, it only makes sense that Matthew 1:16 is listing Mary's genealogy through her father, Joseph

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mary's lineage is listed in Matthew 1

Matthew 1:16 should read:

Based on the number of generations listed in Matthew 1, it only makes sense that Matthew 1:16 is listing Mary's genealogy through her father, Joseph
Based on your own opinion, are you really that confidant that you are willing to add to Scripture?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Based on your own opinion, are you really that confidant that you are willing to add to Scripture?
I'm basing it on the number of generations (14) . You can count them for yourself.

Matthew 1:17
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.”

The generations from Jehoiachin to Christ are not 14 if the Joseph listed in Matthew 1:16 is her husband. Her husband's lineage is in Luke

The only way you can count 14 generations from Jehoiachin to Christ in Matthew 1 is if the Joseph listed is her father.

Jehoiachin begat Shealtiel - 1 generation
Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel - 2 generations
Zerubbabel begat Abiud - 3 generations
Abiud begat Eliakim - 4 generations
Eliakim begat Azor - 5 generations
Azor begat Zadok - 6 generations
Zadok begat Akim - 7 generations
Akim begat Eliud - 8 generations
Eliud begat Elazar - 9 generations
Elazar begat Matthan - 10 generations
Matthan begat Jacob - 11 generations
Jacob begat Joseph(Mary's father) - 12 generations
Joseph begat Mary - 13 generations
Mary begat Jesus - 14 generations

If the Joseph in Matthew 1:16 is her husband, then Christ is only 13 generations from Babylon, not 14 as stated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm basing it on the number of generations (14) . You can count them for yourself.

Matthew 1:17

The generations from Jehoiachin to Christ are not 14 if the Joseph listed in Matthew 1:16 is her husband. Her husband's lineage is in Luke

The only way you can count 14 generations from Jehoiachin to Christ in Matthew 1 is if the Joseph listed is her father.

Jehoiachin begat Shealtiel - 1 generation
Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel - 2 generations
Zerubbabel begat Abiud - 3 generations
Abiud begat Eliakim - 4 generations
Eliakim begat Azor - 5 generations
Azor begat Zadok - 6 generations
Zadok begat Akim - 7 generations
Akim begat Eliud - 8 generations
Eliud begat Elazar - 9 generations
Elazar begat Matthan - 10 generations
Matthan begat Jacob - 11 generations
Jacob begat Joseph(Mary's father) - 12 generations
Joseph begat Mary - 13 generations
Mary begat Jesus - 14 generations

If the Joseph in Matthew 1:16 is her husband, then Christ is only 13 generations from Babylon, not 14 as stated.
Matthew has himself skipped a few generations during the Babylonian captivity. If you read through 2 Kings and Chronicles/Ezra you will note that Jehoiachin did not beget Shealtiel. Matthew counts the Babylonian captivity as one generation, however, just because the Evangelist exercises a little licence in his numbering of generations, it doesn't mean you may do the same.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who were Mary's parents? Was it Anne and Joachim? Or Heli and Anne ? Because in the gospel of St. Luke it says that Heli was the father of the Blessed Virgin Mary ? But in the infancy gospel of St James it was Joachim . So who were Mary's parents?
Actually it says that Eli (Heli) was Joseph's father.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew has himself skipped a few generations during the Babylonian captivity. If you read through 2 Kings and Chronicles/Ezra you will note that Jehoiachin did not beget Shealtiel. Matthew counts the Babylonian captivity as one generation, however, just because the Evangelist exercises a little licence in his numbering of generations, it doesn't mean you may do the same.
The number of generations in each set was 14. The bottom line is, there aren't 14 generations listed between Babylon & Christ if the Joseph listed is the husband of Mary.

This is crucial to recognizing that the Joseph in Matthew 1:16 is her father, not her husband. Matthew 1 is Mary's lineage to David & Abraham through her father, Joseph

the lineage in Luke shows her husband's lineage to David through his father, Heli

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The number of generations in each set was 14. The bottom line is, there aren't 14 generations listed between Babylon & Christ if the Joseph listed is the husband of Mary.
Read Chronicles. There are more than 14 generations.
This is crucial to recognizing that the Joseph in Matthew 1:16 is her father, not her husband. Matthew 1 is Mary's lineage to David & Abraham through her father, Joseph
You try to make the Scriptures say something they plainly do not. In fact I believe you are the first person in 2000 years to come up with such an idea. That ought to tell you something.
the lineage in Luke shows her husband's lineage to David through his father, Heli
Both are Joseph's lineage. I explained that in an earlier post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also, between David and Jechoniah, Matthew skips Joash, Amaziah and Azariah (Uzziah) in the genealogy and has Jechoniah as the son of Josiah instead of his grandson, so it seems that the evangelist is just using the number 14 as a symbol of some sort of age (3 lots of 2x7) making Christ the seventh seven. Chrysostom describes it as 3 periods of different government, aristocracy, monarchy and oligarchy, where the Jews were as bad under the last as they were under the first. The Babylonian captivity had failed to reform them, thus it was necessary that Christ should now come.
Friedrich Spanheim compares this to the parable in Luke 20, where after the failure of three missions God finally sends His Son.

• Informative
Reactions: Beloved2018
Upvote 0