• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Who was the greatest Christian ever?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Achilles6129, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Peter

2. Paul

3. John

4. Other

5. I don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,578
    Anglican
    Married
    You can, of course, choose anyone, depending on the reasoning involved. However, there is no question about Paul being the most influential Christian of all time, and if spreading the Gospel to an unbelieving world is of top importance, Paul has no equal.

2. sonshine234

sonshine234 Well-Known Member

+66
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have thought about this and I believe it is the Blessed Virgin Mary

3. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,615
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Forgive me. I thought it was a serious question.

4. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,615
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    On second thought, I think I'll change my answer to your answer.

5. child630

child630 Guest

+0
    I would say Paul

6. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter

+3,575
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Christ was fully human and born of a father and a mother.

I think the greatest, except for Jesus, was Mary. She bore and raised the child Jesus, totally selflessly, and was the only one who was with him from birth until death.

After Mary, Peter was next, because he was the first among the apostles, and Jesus founded His Church with Peter as its head.

I'd put John ahead of Paul because of his gospel, and Revelation.

7. Achilles6129

Achilles6129 Veteran

+329
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    I think that's a pretty accurate statement. That is definitely a reason I put Paul ahead of Peter or John.

But Paul was also very powerful as well. He was caught up into the third heaven (!!) which is truly extraordinary. The only one who can equal that is John in Revelation 4:1-2. I think that if we go by all the miracles/signs/wonders listed in Scripture then Paul is at least the equal of Peter as far as that department is concerned. Paul's getting caught up into the third heaven is really something else.

Are you Catholic? I would understand why Catholics would think this.

Interesting. I believe you voted 'I don't know.' :)

8. Achilles6129

Achilles6129 Veteran

+329
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    Oh, something else I thought of - this thread obviously applies only to the past. The two witnesses would certainly have a claim to be considered the greatest Christian(s) of all time, I would think.

9. sonshine234

+66
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    Anglo-Catholic, Anglican.

10. sonshine234

+66
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    Only if one is a futurist, and takes Revelation literally

11. Achilles6129

Achilles6129 Veteran

+329
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    Ah, yes, that is why then :) I would assume that Catholics would choose either Mary (I forgot to include her on my list) or Peter. Protestants would probably be more attracted to Paul or John.

12. Achilles6129

Achilles6129 Veteran

+329
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    Correct. I am one that does :)

13. sonshine234

+66
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ah, I am one that actually believes John was not writing to 21st century Christians and beyond but to 1st Century Christians :)

14. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+4,206
    Canada
    Lutheran
    Married
    I agree; I my vote would go to St. Mary, mother of our Lord.:)

15. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,502
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian

Our Lord and Savior, Jesus the "Christ"... :amen: :bow:

Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of The World Part 3

On this earth there are more than four and a half billion people! The most populous lands are China, India, and other parts of Asia, and in spite of missionaries from the West, actually more than half of all people on the earth have never so much as heard the ONLY NAME BY WHICH MEN MAY BE SAVED - the name of JESUS CHRIST! For your Bible says.......
    This means that billions of people here on this earth have lived, and died, without having known anything about God's provision of salvation - without saving knowledge - neither having heard the only name by which men may be saved! Now think what that means.

If all unsaved are eternally lost, then more than HALF the people who have ever lived on this earth have been consigned to eternal hell without ever having been given so much as a chance to escape it!...........

"Fire" -- I am the god of hellfire! (1968) by Arthur Brown ~ new video - YouTube

16. Tigger45

Tigger45 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,587
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Luke 1:46-49

New International Version (NIV)

Mary’s Song

46 And Mary said:
    “My soul glorifies the Lord
    47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
    48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
    From now on all generations will call me blessed,
    49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.

17. FundamentalistJohn

FundamentalistJohn Regular Member

+50
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Republican
    Of the Billions of Christians that have existed over the past two thousand years why does anyone believe they can possibly know the answer to this? Or even that giving an answer is possible? How do you measure such a thing?

18. sonshine234

+66
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    Christ wasn't a Christian :)

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,578
    Anglican
    Married
    Historians have measured it--on the basis of the most significant or influential person, that is.

Paul was ranked in the top three with Mohammad and Christ. That was a listing of consequential religious leaders irrespective of which religion it is.

20. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,661
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I clicked on this thread with the plan to write something just like this. That if there's such a thing as "the greatest Christian ever", he or she would be unknown to any of us. An outwardly unremarkable person completely unknown from the history books.

We need to always remember, it is the least among us who is greatest.

-CryptoLutheran