Who was the disciple that the Messiah loved?

Who was that disciple?

• Total voters

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most of us know that there was a particular disciple that the Messiah loved, as mentioned by the writer of the gospel commonly attributed to John.

Most people think it is John based on tradition, but what do the Scriptures say?

Do they tell us who he loved?

John 11:1-3
Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.

(It was that Mary which anointed the Master with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Master, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.

John 11:5
Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

When Jesus cried, the Jews commented:

John 11:35-36
Jesus wept.

Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

The writer of the gospel attributed to John says that he is the one that the Messiah loved:

John 21:20-24
Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?

Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?

Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

based on Scripture, we only have evidence that Lazarus is the disciple the Messiah loved.

The reference to the disciple Messiah loved doesn’t occur until after Lazarus is raised from the dead.

John 13:23
Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.

Reactions: Andrewn

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most of us know that there was a particular disciple that the Messiah loved, as mentioned by the writer of the gospel commonly attributed to John.

Most people think it is John based on tradition, but what do the Scriptures say?

Do they tell us who he loved?

John 11:1-3

John 11:5

When Jesus cried, the Jews commented:

John 11:35-36

The writer of the gospel attributed to John says that he is the one that the Messiah loved:

John 21:20-24

based on Scripture, we only have evidence that Lazarus is the disciple the Messiah loved.

The reference to the disciple Messiah loved doesn’t occur until after Lazarus is raised from the dead.

John 13:23

Acts 10:34-35

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 John 4:16

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

John 13:35

By this all people (believers) will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, only the Gospel of John mentions the "disciple whom Jesus loved." Second, John 21:2 lets us know who was fishing with Peter: "Simon Peter, Thomas (called Didymus), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together..." The apostle John was a son of Zebedee (Matthew 4:21). Third, there were three disciples who were especially close to Jesus: Peter, James, and John (Matthew 17:1; Mark 5:37; 14:33; Luke 8:51). The “disciple whom Jesus loved” could not be Peter, as Peter asks Jesus a question in regards to this disciple (John 21:20-21). That leaves us with James or John. Jesus made a statement about the possible "longevity" of the life of the disciple whom He loved in John 21:22. James was the first of the apostles to die (Acts 12:2). While Jesus did not promise the disciple whom He loved long life, it would be highly unusual for Jesus to say, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" if the disciple whom He loved was going to be the first disciple to die.

Church history tells us that the apostle John lived into the A.D. 90s and was the last surviving apostle. Early church tradition was unanimous in identifying John as the disciple whom Jesus loved. It seems that John had a closer relationship with Jesus than any of the other disciples. Jesus and John were essentially “best friends.” Jesus entrusted John with the care of His mother, gave John the vision of the transfiguration, allowed John to witness His most amazing miracles, and later gave John the Book of Revelation. got ?

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 10:34-35

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 John 4:16

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

John 13:35

By this all people (believers) will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
I’m not sure what these verses have to do with the original post - they are true, but how are they relevant?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Didn't he love them all as himself?
I would say so, but for some reason, the writer of the 4th gospel uses a unique phrase and refers to a disciple that the Messiah loved, that was close to him in a way that others were not.

none of the other gospel writers use that phrase.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m not sure what these verses have to do with the original post - they are true, but how are they relevant?

Gods love is the same for everybody ... he doesn't love one any more than the other. So with that ... He loved Lazarus and John both ... and the verses simply state that.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gods love is the same for everybody ... he doesn't love one any more than the other. So with that ... He loved Lazarus and John both ... and the verses simply state that.
This isn’t really a thread on God’s love for everybody - it’s a thread discussing the identity of disciple that was distinguished as “the one Jesus loved” and/or why he was referred to as such.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This isn’t really a thread on God’s love for everybody - it’s a thread discussing the identity of disciple that was distinguished as “the one Jesus loved” and/or why he was referred to as such.

aaahhh ... sorry for the misunderstanding then ....

that was close to him in a way that others were not.

Where does is specify this?

In the particular verses (this particular story) you referenced ... in this case is talking about Lazarus ... but that is not to assume he loved anyone more than another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
aaahhh ... sorry for the misunderstanding then ....

Where does is specify this?

In the particular verses (this particular story) you referenced ... in this case is talking about Lazarus ... but that is not to assume he loved anyone more than another.
The repeated use of the phrase “the disciple whom Jesus loved” indicates something different or unique about that particular disciple.

Even the Jews commented on how much Messiah loved Lazarus - and the Messish even cried over Lazarus. We have no record of him crying for any other disciple or apostle - that’s not to say he didn’t cry for anybody else, but we only have evidence of him crying for Lazarus.

We know that Messiah loves all of his true followers, yet the writer referred to that disciple repeatedly as “the one Jesus loved”.

I am trying to figure out why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It appears that Peter James and John were in Yahshua's inner circle.
I think they were - maybe he & that disciple whom he loved had more of a friendship type relationship versus student & teacher relationship?

I don’t know, I’m trying to figure out why the phrase “the disciple Jesus loved” is used repeatedly - we know he loved all of his disciples

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting interpretation, especially that the Gospel of John is the only one that mentions raising Lazarus from the death. If true, it also supports that other disciples beside the Twelve were present at the Last Supper, which is something I've been considering for a while. The major objection, of course, is Church tradition.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One passage that may support your view is the following:

Joh 19:26-27 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple he loved standing there, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

I often wondered, what home? John was from Galilee. He didn't have a home in Jerusalem! And, according to tradition, he was a young man probably a young teenager. (In icons of the Last Supper, he is the only one traditionally portrayed without a beard.)

But Lazarus makes more sense. He had a home in nearby Bethany. And he had women living in his home so it would not be scandalous for the St Mary to live with him.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If the Fourth Evangelist wasn't John, which is the only name the ancient Church attached to the Fourth Gospel, then we simply don't have an answer to the question of who the author is, and thus to answer the question of who the disciple was.

Any answer given is nothing more than a shot in the dark.

I don't know if St. John the Apostle wrote the Gospel which bears his name, but it's the only name which early Christians attached to said Gospel, and so the answer is either John wrote it or we don't know who wrote it.

Yes, Jesus loved Lazarus, but no where is Lazarus identified with "the disciple whom Jesus loved", and so proposing Lazarus as the author of John is nothing more than a shot in the dark, with no more support behind it than any other random guess.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is an interesting interpretation, especially that the Gospel of John is the only one that mentions raising Lazarus from the death. If true, it also supports that other disciples beside the Twelve were present at the Last Supper, which is something I've been considering for a while. The major objection, of course, is Church tradition.
There is definitely scripture that indicates there were more than the 12 Apostles at the Last Supper

Mark 14:17-20
And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.

And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.

And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?

And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish.

It Records the disciples asking, is it me? And he tells them: it’s one of the 12.

This isn’t exactly saying there are others, but the wording is kind of redundant if there aren’t others there aside from the 12

He doesn’t tell them who it is, yet he narrows it down to 1 of the 12

• Friendly
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0