✟1,238,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No idea what you mean.:scratch:

Rome for the century before the Schism agreed with us the filioque was heresy. Rome in the 13 century condemns us for not using the filioque and calls us heretics. Rome since the mid-20th century has said we aren’t heretics, and are not wrong for not using the filioque, since that’s just a more ancient version of the Creed.

not exactly consistent theology.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,238,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know ex cathedra was pronounced just a few times, and Mary Immaculate being one of them.

it’s weird that was never used to tackle any of the early heresies, especially if everyone knew this was a unique grace of the bishop of Rome.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟942,496.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it’s weird that was never used to tackle any of the early heresies, especially if everyone knew this was a unique grace of the bishop of Rome.
I've brought this up many times before. If the Catholic Church doctrine regarding papal infallibility was truly a thing then why was it never exercised in the times where the Church was being torn by heresy and schism? Why wasn't the decision of the bishop of Rome sought out and obeyed if that was truly a teaching of the Church.
The answer of course is simple. It was not ever the teaching of the Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,238,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've brought this up many times before. If the Catholic Church doctrine regarding papal infallibility was truly a thing then why was it never exercised in the times where the Church was being torn by heresy and schism? Why wasn't the decision of the bishop of Rome sought out and obeyed if that was truly a teaching of the Church.
The answer of course is simple. It was not ever the teaching of the Church.

Ephesus slams this notion in the face. you’re gonna tell me that everyone knew about Papal infallibility (and Sts Cyril of Alexandria and Celestine of Rome were allied), but Ephesus will be called and completed before Rome even gets there?

Upvote 0