✟10,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good evening!

I have come across some scriptures that have me a little confused.

From what I understand, they all seem to be saying that I should not be around sinners and unbelievers.

Here are three scenarios that I am currently in that are causing me to not be sure of what I should do:

1. I have a brother that I am living with who says that he tried to have true faith for many years but it made him depressed and angry because he could never "fit in" with all of the Christians at his church. He says he always had a hard time having faith and got extremely discouraged when everyone was telling him he had to feel love, happiness, and be content with being a Christian. He says he tried his best but never felt any of that. Now he says that he doesn't label himself as a Christian anymore, but he is open to God changing his heart so that he can feel true faith. Is 2 Corinthians 6:14 telling me that I should not associate with or hang around my brother?

2. My mother has had very severe anger issues for many years and has outbursts almost all of the time. She is a believer though. Is Proverbs 22:24 - 25 and Titus 3 :9 - 11 telling me that I should get away from my mother and stay away from her until her anger issue is resolved?

3. I have a group of college friends who like to get together and play Dungeons and Dragons and board games once every so often. I enjoy playing with them and having fun with them, but they do use a lot of profanity and foolish talk. Not all of them are believers, but the ones that say they are believers still use profanity regularly. Is Proverbs 13:20 and Psalm 1:1 telling me that I should never hang around any of them again?

akaDaScribe

Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to get thrown out of here for some of the advice I give. But until such a time, I'll keep it real. XD

Paul said he became all things to all people so that some might be saved. I grant you that you are probably not preaching every waking moment like Paul did. However, a good rule of thumb when your not sure is to consider whether or not those people are damaging your relationship with God. If they aren't, then being around them might not make you a better Christian, but maybe it will make the thought of becoming one a little less scary to your brother and friends.

As far as your mother is concerned, she's your mother... what are you gonna do? Unless she's making you have a meltdown, honor your parents.

Just one man's opinion :)

Upvote 0