Who made this a political issue and why?

Is the government requiring a mask in public going too far?

• Yes

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 43 86.0%

• Total voters

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Im a conservative and I support wearing masks as well as every single conservative friend I can think of. I don’t know, maybe this is an area issue. Perhaps outside of metroplex areas.

Same here

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s. What. His post was exactly about, explaining how, even after correcting for population differences, the USA’s COVID19 cases/deaths far exceed what we’d see if Canada’s population was 370 million.

But see what you wanna see, I guess.

America had a larger outbreak than any other country and Canada’s population density is much more sparse. America’s population is more concentrated.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
America had a larger outbreak than any other country and Canada’s population density is much more sparse. America’s population is more concentrated.
Haha, now try that logic with Japan.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We can use other countries if you want.

Germany, for example, has a population density 6.5x that of the US.

They've had 212,190 cases and 9,290 deaths. Adjusted for total population (multiply by 4), that's 848,760 cases and 37,160 deaths.

South Korea has a population density twice that of Germany.

They've had 15,515 cases and 305 deaths. Adjusted for total population (multiply by 6.5), that's 100,848 cases and 1,983 deaths.

Clearly, population density does not necessarily correlate with the number of cases. Also, while Canada does have a very low population density, that's primarily because a huge portion of the country is almost entirely uninhabited. The vast majority of its citizens live in a pretty narrow band just north of the US border. Within that area, the population density is pretty similar to the US.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Haha, now try that logic with Japan.

Obviously there will be an spect of randomness. I mean surely you didn’t expect the numbers to exactly match the population density did you? There are a number of variables like how many infected people came to America vs Japan, what they did when they arrived, how many people they came in contact with, what areas they visited, how populated those areas are, etc. I mean it’s not like COVID19 was evenly distributed throughout all countries.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We can use other countries if you want.

Germany, for example, has a population density 6.5x that of the US.

They've had 212,190 cases and 9,290 deaths. Adjusted for total population (multiply by 4), that's 848,760 cases and 37,160 deaths.

South Korea has a population density twice that of Germany.

They've had 15,515 cases and 305 deaths. Adjusted for total population (multiply by 6.5), that's 100,848 cases and 1,983 deaths.

Clearly, population density does not necessarily correlate with the number of cases. Also, while Canada does have a very low population density, that's primarily because a huge portion of the country is almost entirely uninhabited. The vast majority of its citizens live in a pretty narrow band just north of the US border. Within that area, the population density is pretty similar to the US.

Read post 86

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Obviously there will be an spect of randomness. I mean surely you didn’t expect the numbers to exactly match the population density did you?
Sure, this does figure into it, and I don't expect the numbers to match exactly. But we're talking orders of magnitude, especially once you focus in on the current numbers (daily deaths and daily new cases). That tells me that our country is not handling this pandemic very well.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure, this does figure into it, and I don't expect the numbers to match exactly. But we're talking orders of magnitude, especially once you focus in on the current numbers (daily deaths and daily new cases). That tells me that our country is not handling this pandemic very well.

I don’t know, I can only attest to what I observe in my area and people in the Dallas Fort Worth area really seem to be taking as much precaution as possible. Although non essential businesses have been allowed to reopen at a lower capacity and that’s obviously not the best policy possible. But as far as people and businesses taking measures to protect themselves and reduce the chance for spread they seem to be doing a really good job.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t know, I can only attest to what I observe in my area and people in the Dallas Fort Worth area really seem to be taking as much precaution as possible. Although non essential businesses have been allowed to reopen at a lower capacity and that’s obviously not the best policy possible. But as far as people and businesses taking measures to protect themselves and reduce the chance for spread they seem to be doing a really good job.
It may look like that, but objectively, the DFW area isn't doing so hot.

JHU COVID-19 Dashboard Infographic v3.6 PRD

JHU COVID-19 Dashboard Infographic v3.6 PRD

ETA: Tarrant County and Dallas County both have a similar number of new cases per day as the entire country of Germany, which has about 40x the population of either county. And that ignores yesterday's data, which seems anomalously high.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What are people in Tarrant county doing wrong?
I don't live there, nor am I an epidemiologist, so I couldn't tell you. But clearly they're not doing things right.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't live there, nor am I an epidemiologist, so I couldn't tell you. But clearly they're not doing things right.

It’s easy to point the fingers at others saying your not doing good enough but if you don’t have any better solutions then it’s not really helpful at all.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s easy to point the fingers at others saying your not doing good enough but if you don’t have any better solutions then it’s not really helpful at all.
I'm not trying to point fingers - just countering your claim that the DFW area is doing a great job. Maybe people are doing a good job of wearing masks there. I don't really have any way of gauging that. But given the numbers, it looks like they need to put more restrictive measures in place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

It's not that much more concentrated. The border between the continental US and Canada is about 4,000 miles. Their population size is 37.6 million, 90% of whom (33.8 million) live within 100 miles of the US. That's 33.8 million people within 400,000 square miles, for a population density of 84.6 / sq mile. The average US population density is 94 / sq mi.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not that much more concentrated. The border between the continental US and Canada is about 4,000 miles. Their population size is 37.6 million, 90% of whom (33.8 million) live within 100 miles of the US. That's 33.8 million people within 400,000 square miles, for a population density of 84.6 / sq mile. The average US population density is 94 / sq mi.

Awesome now calculate the percentage of people from Canada who travel to other countries as compared to America.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Awesome now calculate the percentage of people from Canada who travel to other countries as compared to America.

Well that just doesn’t make any sense; dogsleds don’t work on the ocean.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Your right I concede Canadian people are just better people than Americans.

Good Lord no! Canadians are much worse. I have Canadian family, they are terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0