Who LOVES graveyards???

Do you go to graveyards for Genealogy Helps?

• Absolutely!!! Graveyards rock!!!

• I sometimes do

• I'd consider it

• Never thought of it...

• Not if I can help it!

• NO WAY!!! You're CREEPY for even suggesting it!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ginger34

Jun 28, 2007
Kentucky
Visit site
✟15,196.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know about "love" that's a strong word, but I do go when I get the chance. I'm a volunteer on a website where if someone has a request for a photo of a grave in my area I'll try and get one for them. I have 285 photos posted so far, with 334 memorials.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2008
✟7,646.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a bit late getting to this thread, but this being my 1st week on the board - I've alot of catching up to do! (I know, not possible!)

Anyway, I'm not that much into genealogy, although I do know some family history, but I LOVE graveyards. Especially old church graveyards - we have alot of those here in the South.

I found a graveyard in my favorite park a few weeks ago. This park is on an old homestead, the woman who originally owned the land is buried in the family graveyard. As the park has been expanded, the graveyard has become visible and accessible. I went to look (of course!) and found that this woman was from Ireland (as many of my ancestors are), she was born in 1700 on Christmas day in Ireland, and died at the homestead in 1776 on Christmas day. Her first name is the name of my saint (when I was christen as a baby).
I had a feeling before I even saw her tombstone, that she & I would have something in common.

I also love Arlington Cemetery; one of my husband's close relatives is buried there, so we have lifetime passes to the place. The funeral and burial ceremony was quite impressive. Such a manicured place - LOL!

I also adore the cities of the dead in New Orleans; I found the tour fascinating, and hope that the guide's stories about the place are true!

Upvote 0

beachbum2

Feb 21, 2008
USA
✟7,689.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I totally dislike the newer cemetaries where I live. I forbid my husband to bury me there. My heart lies where my family lies. All five generations of them in one cemetary. So no, you are not the only one who likes them. I think they are full of family history. Each tombstone makes you think about the past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ryanswife

Opinionated One
Jul 7, 2008
✟8,160.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think graveyards rock and the older the better! I have never gone to one for genealogy reasons, though. I make my husband stop at any old graveyards that we may pass when we are travelling. He thinks I am a total weirdo. Haha

Reactions: Sphinx777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

regencygirl

When parasols are in vogue again, I'll be ready.
Apr 8, 2010
Richmond, VA
✟15,188.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I love them. I grew up in a funeral home, and I've visited many cemeteries. On the whole, they're such peaceful places! The most interesting ones I've visited so far are in the southern United States, in Charleston and New Orleans (but I hope to visit some in Europe someday!) Right now I'm lucky enough to live near Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.

I especially love ornate headstones and statuary. The symbolism incorporated into them often tell a story about the person resting there if you know what you're looking at - it's a fascinating study. :)

Upvote 0