Who likes spicy foods?

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I must admit to be addicted to heat. I probably have about ten bottles of hot sauce of various sorts at any one time. If it says "hot" in the grocery store I usually laugh. Though lately I tried some noodles that caught my attention. The first time I tried Buldak spicy chicken flavored noodles I had to drink some milk. I did not quite follow the directions and that appears to have concentrated the head. I drained off all of the water, though you are supposed to leave a quarter of a cup of water when cooking. They did not seem as hot the next few times around:

I can get those at my local Safeway. The image on the package is a chicken breathing fire. They have a product that is twice as spicy. I ordered that through Amazon. Now the chicken has a bomb

61+Na7R8KwL._PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_SX500SY483SH20_.jpg

And just for fun I ordered some Daebak ramen made with Ghost Peppers!! I will keep you posted.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like to spice my food up. As someone born without a sense of smell (I've read the sensation "taste" is largely due to smell) sometimes spice is the only thing that makes a meal pop. Never tried anything spicier beyond Ghost Pepper.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love hot sauce. But I want to enjoy the burn and not so much regret it. This is probably pat to someone who devours Ghost Peppers, but my go-to is Cholula or Valentina. Both are great hot sauces for, well, anything.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember at work a co-worker brought some hot peppers he grew in his backyard... I ate a whole one... I don't think they were that spicy but having a mask on made it like a 100x worse. The heat had nowhere to dissipate or at least no relief from breathing in air, and my throat was on fire.

Not sure if they already do it... but the hottest spice in the world while wearing a mask would be very interesting to watch. Lol.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I crunch down on jalepenos, habaneros, and chile pequins right off the plant. I've made mild burritos for my congregation, that the Mexicans said were too hot. You build a tolerance.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm addicted also. I like non-spicy foods just fine, but if I go about 3 or 4 days without something spicy, I start to crave the heat. If I ignore the craving it just intensifies until I get it.

Last spring I got lucky and had four wild chile pequin plants magically appear in my yard. I hope they come back this year.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,119.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I grew some ghost peppers last year. Been meaning to get around to make a sauce with them. The Indian curry Phall is generally made with them (or Carolina Reaper or something equally hot). There's an Indian restaurant not far from me and a few years back a few of us went out for dinner. And it was on tbe menu. Only the second time I'd seen it offered anywhere. The conversation with the waitress:

'And I'll have the phall'.
'Oh, that's very hot'.
'Yes, I'll have it, thanks'.
'But it's extremely hot'.
'Yeah, I know. Phall for me'.
'No, I mean it's very, very hot'.
'I'll. Have. The. Phall. Thanks'.

Ye gods, it was weapons grade. Blazingly spicy. And I couldn't finish it all. So doggy bag for what was left. And number one son, who was still living at home at the time, gets in late from a night out with his mates and pokes around in the fridge. 'Ooh, curry'. And warmed up what was left.

It was still there in the morning. He only had one mouthfull. But no milk left in the fridge.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I crunch down on jalepenos, habaneros, and chile pequins right off the plant. I've made mild burritos for my congregation, that the Mexicans said were too hot. You build a tolerance.
I had the same problem. I've made carne guisada for after church, and toned the heat way down from the way I eat it, but it was still too hot for most folks. I toned it down more the next time, and still too hot. At which point I gave up and decided I would not bring carne guisada again. Making mild guisada is like asking someone to perform Beethoven's 5th symphony, but "just do it less passionately". Better not to do it at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I had the same problem. I've made carne guisada for after church, and toned the heat way down from the way I eat it, but it was still too hot for most folks. I toned it down more the next time, and still too hot. At which point I gave up and decided I would not bring carne guisada again. Making mild guisada is like asking someone to perform Beethoven's 5th symphony, but "just do it less passionately". Better not to do it at all.

I make salsa for my congregation. I make one bowl the way I like it. I make another bowl with no hots; and I mark the bowls. That way, members can blend from the two bowls to their liking. There is only one other member who likes it the way I like it.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I love hot sauce. But I want to enjoy the burn and not so much regret it. This is probably pat to someone who devours Ghost Peppers, but my go-to is Cholula or Valentina. Both are great hot sauces for, well, anything.
My usual hot sauces are various habanero based ones. But this year I got some ghost pepper based hot sauce. The hole is a bit too small and it comes out rather reluctantly. On the other hand I had some ghost pepper salsa that was just bit hotter than I normally liked. So one's result may vary depending upon the manufacturer.

And a couple of Christmases ago my Costa Rican sister in law game me a bottle of hot sauce from Costa Rica. The number one ingredient was habanero peppers. They lied or it was a very water logged crop. I first tired a small drop and almost nothing. Bigger and bigger dabs until I realized while good tasting it was not habanero based.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a friend who likes spicy foods. So when I bought a prepackaged noodle bowl for him, I put in all the packets...unfortunately one of the packets was a silicon jel dry packet...more crunchy than spicy.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think I'm addicted also. I like non-spicy foods just fine, but if I go about 3 or 4 days without something spicy, I start to crave the heat. If I ignore the craving it just intensifies until I get it.

Last spring I got lucky and had four wild chile pequin plants magically appear in my yard. I hope they come back this year.

The ones that grow on my land are perennials. They get bigger every year. I've seen them grow as high as about seven feet or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a friend who likes spicy foods. So when I bought a prepackaged noodle bowl for him, I put in all the packets...unfortunately one of the packets was a silicon jel dry packet...more crunchy than spicy.
I ate some silica gel once. It was in a little bag that said DO NOT EAT, but I thought that was just referring to the bag.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ate some silica gel once. It was in a little bag that said DO NOT EAT, but I thought that was just referring to the bag.
Don't worry you aren't the first and you won't be the last!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The hole is a bit too small and it comes out rather reluctantly

That means you're serious. I love hot sauce but it comes out like my ideas: well intended but regretful.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must admit to be addicted to heat. I probably have about ten bottles of hot sauce of various sorts at any one time. If it says "hot" in the grocery store I usually laugh. Though lately I tried some noodles that caught my attention. The first time I tried Buldak spicy chicken flavored noodles I had to drink some milk. I did not quite follow the directions and that appears to have concentrated the head. I drained off all of the water, though you are supposed to leave a quarter of a cup of water when cooking. They did not seem as hot the next few times around:

I can get those at my local Safeway. The image on the package is a chicken breathing fire. They have a product that is twice as spicy. I ordered that through Amazon. Now the chicken has a bomb

61+Na7R8KwL._PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_SX500SY483SH20_.jpg

And just for fun I ordered some Daebak ramen made with Ghost Peppers!! I will keep you posted.
Count me in! :)

Upvote 0