Who is your favorite Catholic apologetics book(s) author?

Who is your favorite Catholic apologetics book(s) author?

• Scott Hahn

• Peter Kreeft

• Jim Burnham

• Patrick Madrid

• Dave Armstrong

• Karl Keating

• Mark Shea

• Frank Chacon

• Michael Coren

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My favorite is Scott Hahn.

Also, I did not include any saints or ancient Catholic apologetics book(s) authors because this is intended to be about modern authors who have not been canonized, beatified, or declared venerable.

Upvote 0

johnnyc

I'm Home
Jul 20, 2011
SC
✟8,131.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the list I have read Hahn, Madrid, Armstrong, Keating and Shea. They are all very good but I voted for Scott Hahn. I need to read Kreeft. Brant Pitre, Taylor Marshall and Fr. Mitch Pacwa are other favorites. I just realized my Catholic reading library is getting pretty extensive. :)

Upvote 0

johnnyc

I'm Home
Jul 20, 2011
SC
✟8,131.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it.

My favorite book by Scott Hahn is "The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth"

Yes a very good book. I love his description of the first time he went to a Mass. Think about it....someone who was as anti Catholic as he was. It must have been so strange for him. And then for him to write a book about the Mass that can help even cradle Catholics appreciate the Mass more. Wonderful. His Rome Sweet Home is often mentioned as the best conversion to Catholic book but I have to say that I think David Currie's Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic is better and the one I recommend for anyone thinking about coming into the Catholic Church.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes a very good book. I love his description of the first time he went to a Mass. Think about it....someone who was as anti Catholic as he was. It must have been so strange for him. And then for him to write a book about the Mass that can help even cradle Catholics appreciate the Mass more. Wonderful. His Rome Sweet Home is often mentioned as the best conversion to Catholic book but I have to say that I think David Currie's Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic is better and the one I recommend for anyone thinking about coming into the Catholic Church.

I have Scott Hahn's "Rome Sweet Home" book but I have yet to read the entire thing.

Upvote 0

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My favorite is Scott Hahn.

Also, I did not include any saints or ancient Catholic apologetics book(s) authors because this is intended to be about modern authors who have not been canonized, beatified, or declared venerable.

Scott Hahn too!!!! :thumbsup: also like Curtis Martin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Better than RSH? Will have to get it asap then. Thanks for recommending it.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Whilst all are deserving , and I have many of Hahns - I would point at two others.

First - Steve Ray.
Crossing the Tiber.
Upon this Rock.
Hahn wins on volume, ray on quality!

Second - the best book ever on Mary
" behold your mother " staples
All the difficult doctrines justified in far greater depth than Hahn.

" Mary of Nazareth" hesseman, makes a great companion volume, arguing from history and archeology, rather than apologetics,

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2017
London
✟9,694.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Please vote in my poll and discuss who your favorite Catholic apologetics book(s) author is.

I see the OP is a bit old, sadly Micheal Coren is no longer Catholic. Yet again he's left home; this time for what he deems greener and more "inclusive" pastures of the Anglican Church and their support of gay marriage.

I don't do much reading. Almost all my consumption of media is done audibly. I'm a truck driver so I listen more than read. I have probably downloaded and listened to 75% of the audio on Scott's website. I call Dr Hahn our modern day St Augustine.

Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I see the OP is a bit old, sadly Micheal Coren is no longer Catholic. Yet again he's left home; this time for what he deems greener and more "inclusive" pastures of the Anglican Church and their support of gay marriage.

I don't do much reading. Almost all my consumption of media is done audibly. I'm a truck driver so I listen more than read. I have probably downloaded and listened to 75% of the audio on Scott's website. I call Dr Hahn our modern day St Augustine.
He is a great speaker.

For those who prefer listening, all the episodes of "journey home" Marcus grodi- are worth a listen too!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2017
London
✟9,694.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
He is a great speaker.

For those who prefer listening, all the episodes of "journey home" Marcus grodi- are worth a listen too!

Yes the Journey Home is a great show. And EWTN has all their shows available in podcast form now as well.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm a bit surprised Bishop Fulton Sheen is not on the list, as he was a very effective apologist in my opinion. While he's been dead for nearly 38 years, he's not been "canonized, beatified, or declared venerable" as far as I'm aware, and could still be regarded as modern.

I've got two of his books, "The World's First Love" and another text, which title I can't remember, and which I can't lay my hands on immediately in my over stuffed library.

Upvote 0