Who is the woman in Revelation 12 poll

Who is the woman in Revelation 12:1-5 who gave birth to the man child?

• Total voters

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mary.

MaryQueen-of-Heaven.jpg
Exactly

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the reason you didn't put virgin Mary as an alternative in the poll? Many believe the woman is Mary.
When I made the poll, it did not cross my mind that many people believe the woman is Mary. How many of the "other" responses, 11 so far, would you say is "Mary" ?

• Friendly
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I voted ‘other’ because biblical concepts are often multilayered. You shouldn’t read 1st century literature through a 21st century paradigm where everything needs to line up as black and white or either/or when many times it’s both or to some degree all of the above. I see the church as the culmination of Isreal and the blessed virgin Mary as it’s physical parallel.

This video illustrates my point.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I made the poll, it did not cross my mind that many people believe the woman is Mary. How many of the "other" responses, 11 so far, would you say is "Mary" ?

Most of them probably. Leaving out Mary gives me the idea that the poll is somewhat anti Catholic/Orthodox, which doesn't feel right, but maybe I'm over interpretating stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously the mother of the Savior, Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ.

Well, that would be the LITERAL interpretation of that passage anyway.. But many here don't subscribe to such a literalist approach... Their view requires twisting this passage into a fancy spiritualization, and metaphorically spinning it to say something it plainly does not.

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's been a while since I studied this and the details are a little foggy at the moment, but I've heard arguments made before that the woman is the Bride of Christ.

The problem I would have with that is how is it the bride of Christ gives birth to Christ Himself?

Many theologians have felt that this description of the woman in Rev 12 mirrors Genesis 37:9-11 so have by default concluded the woman is the Hebrew people.

Yeshua was born thru the Hebrew people. The Ekklesia (Body of Yeshua) was conceived in Jerusalem when the Ruach haKodesh (Holy Spirit) came upon those in Jerusalem at Shavuot (Pentacost), just as Yeshua was conceived in Mariam when the Spirit came upon her. Yeshua is the Head, the Ekklesia is the body. The Ekklesia has been gestating/growing, waiting to be born and united with the Head, Yeshua. The Ekklesia will rule with a rod of iron along with Yeshua ( Revelation 2:26-27 ). Some speculate that the birth of this child in Rev 12 is indeed the Messiah, but pictures the Body being caught up as soon as it is born and is united with Yeshua and that this event would cause many of the Hebrew people to trust in Yeshua, thereby being the remnant who Satan goes after and pursues them. Yet they will be protected. Yeshua was never caught up (harpazo) to Yahweh and His Throne as a child after being born.

Just another idea of what this passage talks about. Doesn't make it any more right than any other idea of this passage, but not all that far fetched as there seems to be scriptural support in the Tanakh (OT) also, which is required for any concept to be valid. We will find out one day. Y'all can have a food fight over it if you desire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricky M
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The problem I would have with that is how is it the bride of Christ gives birth to Christ Himself?
Note on foot. ...er....

footnote: a LOT of mis-understandings seem to be propagated widely regarding the words (in English) - bride, marriage, etc

When the original meaning is not understood, confusion results, and grows, apparently.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that would be the LITERAL interpretation of that passage anyway.. But many here don't subscribe to such a literalist approach... Their view requires twisting this passage into a fancy spiritualization, and metaphorically spinning it to say something it plainly does not.

Show how with Scriptures that Mary literally fulfilled Revelation 12:6 and Revelation 12:13-16. But if you can't, you don't really even have an argument, do you, that the woman is meaning Mary in Revelation 12?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,812.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Show how with Scriptures that Mary literally fulfilled Revelation 12:6 and Revelation 12:13-16. But if you can't, you don't really even have an argument, do you, that the woman is meaning Mary in Revelation 12?
Parousia loves to hold forth, using hyperbolic adjectives to show his erudition.:bow:

The 'woman' is Mary, in Revelation 12:1-5, but changes to the offspring of her man child, all the Christian believers in Jesus, as proved by verse 17.

Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night; and let them be for signs,and for seasons and for days and years;" Gen 1:14

The great sign happened Sept 2017 Joni Table talk, The Last Days, Part 3 Jimmy Evans guest There's more info but some about 7 min might be of interest

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I believe it is exactly what it says. The city of Babylon which represents all false religion from the beginning of time.

It will be the city of the antichrist, rebuilt on the old foundation.

The first rebellion against God began there with the tower of Babel and the last rebellion will be held there.

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
This woman gives birth to the male child, Jesus, so it would be Mary.

The other two characters are individuals - Jesus and Satan. So it makes makes more sense that the woman would also be an individual.

A country does not give birth to a son. Only a person can. The passage says that the woman is also the mother of all who give testimony to Jesus, i.e. Christians. How can Israel be our mother? Besides, is Israel reigning in heaven with a crown of thorns? If so, then there would be two ways to get the heaven - one way is through Christ and the other is by being a Jew. In fact, getting to heaven by being a Jew would be superior to getting to heaven through Christ since the Jews would have crowns and be clothed with the sun. In heaven, the Jews would reign over us Christians!

The church came from Jesus. Jesus did not come from the church. How can the church be the mother of Jesus? And since the church is all believers, then we would be our own mother! How can that be?

Mary lived with John until her dying days. On the cross, Jesus said to John, His beloved disciple, "Behold you mother". It says that from that day, John took Mary into his own home. But the curios thing is that in the Greek, a literal translation would be that he "took her into THEIR own" (caps mine). The possessive pronoun was plural, not singular. Was this a grammatical error? No way! The Bible is without error. The Holy Spirit led John to use the plural. This gospel is filled with hidden meanings. He is telling us that he, being Jesus' beloved disciple, was a representative of all of Jesus' disciples. He took her as his mother as a representative of all Christians. Jesus is telling us all to behold our mother. John reinforced this to us in this passage - Mary is the mother of us Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skoaler

Jan 6, 2020
Bay Minette
✟15,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well here is another one nobody gets.. This (woman) is not one single woman.. but many women that have a crown of 12 stars.. The 12 tribes from (Jacob- later named Israel) were birthed through several of his wives and girlfriends.. something God had (no problem with) .. just do not have too many wives and girlfriends cause the odds add up that one might (Steal) your heart from me.. say's God..back then God had faith in man (Men- if you are one) Just show up at a Christian church today with 2 or 5 wives and a few girlfriends tagging along and see how far you get to join it in acceptance.. (NO GO) My reason for using this true historic fact is to give you the true secret of Revelation Chapter 12.. This Woman represents (all) people of Earth that set aside their pride and control.. they (you) submit yourself to Christ.. you (do not) fight with others that are also submitting to Christ but have different thoughts than yours.. you do not cut them down and you even (Step down) and get out of the way for another to get in.. The person last in line at a Christmas dinner table.. has God's eyes on her as she waits for others.. The (Mystery) of the Woman Rev Ch 12 .. is that (It is you) Humans..(male-female) that gave birth to God's 2 witnesses.. (about to appear one last time) --at that dinner table.. but they (are not)

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Well here is another one nobody gets.. This (woman) is not one single woman.. but many women that have a crown of 12 stars.. The 12 tribes from (Jacob- later named Israel) were birthed through several of his wives and girlfriends.. something God had (no problem with) .. just do not have too many wives and girlfriends cause the odds add up that one might (Steal) your heart from me.. say's God..back then God had faith in man (Men- if you are one) Just show up at a Christian church today with 2 or 5 wives and a few girlfriends tagging along and see how far you get to join it in acceptance.. (NO GO) My reason for using this true historic fact is to give you the true secret of Revelation Chapter 12.. This Woman represents (all) people of Earth that set aside their pride and control.. they (you) submit yourself to Christ.. you (do not) fight with others that are also submitting to Christ but have different thoughts than yours.. you do not cut them down and you even (Step down) and get out of the way for another to get in.. The person last in line at a Christmas dinner table.. has God's eyes on her as she waits for others.. The (Mystery) of the Woman Rev Ch 12 .. is that (It is you) Humans..(male-female) that gave birth to God's 2 witnesses.. (about to appear one last time) --at that dinner table.. but they (are not)

The passage says woman not women. There are three characters in Revelation 12 - the make child who is Jesus, the serpent who is the devil, and the woman. Since the first two are individuals and not groups, it make sense that the woman is an individual.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The passage says woman not women. There are three characters in Revelation 12 - the make child who is Jesus, the serpent who is the devil, and the woman. Since the first two are individuals and not groups, it make sense that the woman is an individual.

The dragon is not just one person because of his description:

Rev 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

7 heads and ten horns is a great empire or kingdom. Likely it is Satan working through an Earthly government to have the male child killed which in fact is what happened when Christ was born when the king of the area had so many children killed hoping to kill Jesus.

So we have a dragon which is a group, a male child an individual and then this woman who IMO is not Mary but the people Mary came from, Israel particularly faithful Israel that would accept Christ as Messiah.

Upvote 0

Skoaler

Jan 6, 2020
Bay Minette
✟15,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes .. and Jesus cast out a legion of demons that were in (one) man.. you guys need to know there is (way more) going on.. God said (let us make man in our image) -- does that mean there has only been just (One man) that has been walking around on earth to this day?... It did not say (Let us create men in our image) This woman - is Abraham's promise.. his seed would be more than all the stars you can count in the sky -- (and this includes hubble telescope pictures) .. The entire universe stars we see is made up of his seed.. Abraham's.. those that are in the book of life

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God said (let us make man in our image) -- does that mean there has only been just (One man) that has been walking around on earth to this day?

Not to this day but it did start with only one man. That's why it's in the singular.

Upvote 0