Who Is The "Unprofitable Servant"?

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who have the Holy Spirit are called as sons.

Servants are do not have a permanent place in the household.

Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what scripture you're reference.

However...

I guess, then, Paul considered himself temporary help. And I guess, then, none of Jesus' parables about servants have relevance to Christians.

Yes, Paul was a servant, good observation,

Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

Upvote 0

bottoWordx

Aug 27, 2020
northeast
✟19,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That’s a rationalization so you can ignore what the parable means.

The unprofitable servant bore no fruit and didn’t use what He was given.

Therefore he wasn’t an unsaved mere observer in the church, because God expected him to multiply the talent and benefit Gods kingdom, which doesn’t apply to the unsaved.

In fact all of Matthew 25 is Christians being judged, and some of them have failed the test.

It opens with ten virgins (symbolic of being pure by regeneration/the new birth) who all had lamps, and oil for their lamps ( oil being symbolic of the Holy Spirit).

Half the virgins ran out of oil, so were locked out of the wedding of the lamb.

They lost the Holy Spirit.

Then Jesus says the parable of the ten virgins is about being ready for His unexpected return.

Half the virgins weren’t ready.

Then it moves to the unprofitable servant, which I just covered - then to judgment of those Christians who did, or didn’t, do anything to help the poor, needy, hungry, etc.

The ones who did something are praised as good and faithful servants, the others who did nada are cast into hell as workers of iniquity.

Shalom.
so a spirit-filled life is giving to the poor? giving what?
or to make friends by unrighteous mammon and show them the truth

Some are ever learning but cannot come to the knowledge of the truth.

Maybe this commentary can explain it, since it agrees with me on the whole chapter:

Matthew 25:1-46

JESUS’ OLIVET DISCOURSE (PART 2)

A. The parable of the ten virgins.

1. (Mat 25:1) Ten virgins go out to meet a bridegroom at a wedding.

“Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.”

a. Then the kingdom of heaven: Matthew 24 ended with a parable meant to emphasize the idea of readiness for our master’s return. Matthew 25 begins with another parable emphasizing the same principle.

b. To ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom: There were three stages to a Jewish wedding in that day. The first was engagement - a formal agreement made by the fathers. The second was betrothal - the ceremony where mutual promises are made. The third was marriage - approximately one year later when the bridegroom came at an unexpected time for his bride.

c. Went to meet the bridegroom: In this parable, the first two stages have already taken place. Now the wedding party (the ten virgins) await the coming of the bridegroom for his bride.

i. Why does Jesus describe ten virgins? Talmudic authorities affirm that there were usually ten lamps in a bridal procession.

2. (Mat 25:2-13) The young women caught unprepared are denied entry.

“Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’ Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’ And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.”

a. Took their lamps: The five foolish virgins appeared to be prepared for the bridegroom, because they had their lamps. But they really were not prepared, because they took no oil with them.

b. Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out: Throughout the Scriptures, oil is a consistent emblem of the Holy Spirit. Without oil, the virgins were not ready for the bridegroom.

Without the Holy Spirit, the no one is ready for the return of Jesus.

i. No one can be a true Christian without the indwelling Holy Spirit - now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His (Rom 8:9). These virgins had the appearance of readiness, but they lacked the critical ingredient.

ii. How can be sure of our own readiness as we ask for the Holy Spirit (Luk 11:13), and walk in the Spirit.

c. Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming: The point of this parable is simple - be ready. We see that if we are not ready, no one else can help us. No one else can “give” us their “oil.”

B. The parable of the talents.

1. (Mat 25:14-15) A man gives instructions to his servants before departing on a long journey.

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey.”

a. To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one: A talent is not an ability (though this parable has application to our abilities), but a unit of money, worth at least $1,200 in modern terms.

i. In the application of this parable, it is valid to see these talents as resources in our lives - such as time, money, abilities, and authority.

b. To each according to his own ability: The servants were given different amounts of money according to their ability. One of the servants only received one talent, yet we should see that this was not an insignificant amount. Some received more, but everyone received something, and that something was not insignificant.

2. (Mat 25:16-23) The first two servants are judged.

“Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them. So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’“

a. You have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things: The reward was the same for both servants, even though one was given five talents and the other was given two talents. Each performed the same according to the resources they received.

b. Well done, good and faithful servant: What did the master look for? Goodness and faithfulness in His servants. Whatever financial success these servants enjoyed came because they were good and faithful. The master looked first for these things, not the “bottom line.”

3. (Mat 25:24-30) The third servant is judged.

“Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’ But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’“

a. I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown: The servant who merely buried his talent tried to excuse himself because of his master’s great power. In fact, he believes his master to be sort of omnipotent: reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed.

b. You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown: However, the sovereignty of the master never excused the laziness of the servant. It condemned that laziness all the more.

i. Those who don’t work for the Lord, or pray, or evangelize because “God is sovereign” condemn themselves by their laziness. By their actions (or lack of action), they show that they, like the wicked servant in the parable, do not know their Master’s heart at all.

ii. The charge against this servant who merely buried his talent is that he was wicked and lazy. We rarely see laziness as a real sin, something that must be repented of before the Lord.

c. Cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness: Because he was wicked and lazy, the third servant demonstrated that he was not a true servant of his master at all. It is fitting that he (and those who show the same heart) are cast forever out of the master’s presence.

d. The main point of this parable is clear: our readiness for Jesus’ return is determined by our stewardship of the resources that He has given us.

i. Some think that “readiness” for Jesus’ return is a rather mystical thing. It really isn’t - it is a matter of being about our business for the Lord. In light of this parable, we must ask ourselves: what have we done with our knowledge? Our time? Our money? Our abilities? The sins of omission may ultimately be more dangerous than the sins of commission.

C. The judgment of the nations.

1. (Mat 25:31-46) The nations are gathered before God’s throne and judged.

“When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

a. In this parable, the nations are judged on the basis of their treatment of the least of these My brethren. Are the brethren mentioned here Jesus’ fellow Jews, or are they Christians? Perhaps Jesus has both in view.

b. Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? Both those who are found guilty (the goats, on the left hand) and those who are declared innocent (the sheep, on the right hand) are surprised, wondering when they helped or neglected Jesus.

i. The answer is simple: they helped or neglected Jesus when they helped or neglected the least of His brethren.

ii. Because the righteous were not aware that they were helping Jesus when they helped the least of His brethren, it shows that their motives were pure. It was a simple response of love from the heart.

iii. Inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me: The charge against these lost ones does not concern any flagrant violation of a moral code, but their indifferent attitude toward Jesus (and His people). Their indifference seals their doom. Throughout this chapter, the point has been emphasized: the price of indifference is too high to pay.

• We cannot afford to be indifferent towards Jesus and His return.

• We can’t afford to be indifferent towards the Holy Spirit who makes us ready for the return of Jesus.

• We can’t afford to be indifferent towards the resources that God gives us.

• We can’t afford to be indifferent towards the needy people all around us.

• We can’t afford to be indifferent towards lost humanity that will stand in judgment.

c. Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Jesus clearly points out that hell was prepared for the devil and his angels. Men only go there because they have willingly cast their lot with the devil and his angels.

d. Everlasting punishment . . . eternal life: Everlasting and eternal both translate the exact same ancient Greek word. If the righteous experience life forever, then we must say that the guilty experience punishment forever.

e. This is only one of several descriptions in the Bible of future judgment.

i. Rev 20:11-15 describe the great white throne judgment, where individuals are judged to see if their names are included in the Book of Life.

ii. Rom 14:10 describes the judgment seat of Christ, where Christians are judged according to their faithfulness.

iii. The judgment of the nations described in this chapter seems to be distinct. It probably describes the judgment of the nations preceding the millennial kingdom, to determine national roles in the millennium.

you see talent not as ability, but limited as/being resources
merely being busy is not the answer

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Servants have no permanent place in the household, so it's possible they just attended church and got fired up.

Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness,

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
All the mysteries were revealed in the New Testament, though.
No, there's still some things we won't understand on this world in this flesh, and there are still mysteries unrevealed.
Revelation chapter 10 has sealed up words spoken by the 7 thunders, and it is only at the sounding of the 7th trumpet judgement that the mystery of God will be finished.
Revelation 10:7
7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
John 15

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3

14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Striving to be a servant is aiming too low in my opinion.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
provide scriptural evidence and don't just say "because God is good"

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation chapter 10 has sealed up words spoken by the 7 thunders, and it is only at the sounding of the 7th trumpet judgement that the mystery of God will be finished.
Revelation 10:7

That one isn’t an unrevealed mystery...

At the rapture and resurrection of the dead in 1 Corinthians 15, the last trump is blown and mystery is involved:

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The last trumpet in Revelation is the seventh trumpet.

Therefore you would expect the rapture to happen at the last trump - and indeed in revelation 10 it says:

Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

So the mystery will be finished at the last, 7th, trumpet, and in the next chapter Jesus returns to earth and sets up His kingdom

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

Which tells me the rapture occurs as Jesus is descending back to earth to set up His kingdom.

The mystery in Revelation 10 is now explained.

Shalom.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so a spirit-filled life is giving to the poor? giving what?
or to make friends by unrighteous mammon and show them the truth

you see talent not as ability, but limited as/being resources
merely being busy is not the answer

The talents are representing the offices, abilities, and opportunities for doing good, which he has given to his professed followers.

The unprofitable servant did nothing for the kingdom.

As per James 2, Abraham and mankind are justified by works, which perfect our faith - and faith without works dies.

As per Matthew 25 where Jesus casts into hell those who ignored the poor, needy, hungry, etc, into hell as workers of iniquity.

As per scripture saying if you know to do good, and don’t do it, it’s a sin.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That one isn’t an unrevealed mystery...

At the rapture and resurrection of the dead in 1 Corinthians 15, the last trump is blown and mystery is involved:

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The last trumpet in Revelation is the seventh trumpet.

Therefore you would expect the rapture to happen at the last trump - and indeed in revelation 10 it says:

Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

So the mystery will be finished at the last, 7th, trumpet, and in the next chapter Jesus returns to earth and sets up His kingdom

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

Which tells me the rapture occurs as Jesus is descending back to earth to set up His kingdom.

The mystery in Revelation 10 is now explained.

Shalom.

Paul was communicating to the Corinthians decades before John wrote Revelation. I don't think Paul meant the 7th trumpet in the wrath of God, as that'd make absolutely no sense to the Corinthians. Paul didn't say "trust me, you'll read about it in 30 years"
Because Jesus returns in the clouds before any trumpets are blown in Revelation 6:12-17
Not to mention if it's at the 7th trumpet judgement.. that's not like the days of Noah or days of Lot. Nobody's living a normal life during the trumpet judgements in the wrath of God.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
J

Striving to be a servant is aiming too low in my opinion.

I don't think so. I think the greater danger is aspiring to a position above servanthood.

"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this person your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. -- Luke 14

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
-- Matthew 20

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all." Mark 9

Paul was pleased to call himself the Lord's servant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. I think the greater danger is aspiring to a position above servanthood.

"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this person your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. -- Luke 14

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
-- Matthew 20

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all." Mark 9

Paul was pleased to call himself the Lord's servant.
Today, people are pleased with the old testament blessings, and cannot fathom the new.

I find the expectations are far too low nowadays.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul was communicating to the Corinthians decades before John wrote Revelation. I don't think Paul meant the 7th trumpet in the wrath of God, as that'd make absolutely no sense to the Corinthians. Paul didn't say "trust me, you'll read about it in 30 years"
Because Jesus returns in the clouds before any trumpets are blown in Revelation 6:12-17
Not to mention if it's at the 7th trumpet judgement.. that's not like the days of Noah or days of Lot. Nobody's living a normal life during the trumpet judgements in the wrath of God.

Except Revelation is not chronological.

Jesus also came in the clouds in Revelation 7, and when He returns to earth and lands on Mount Olive, with the saints, He rules over the nations left alive that were attacking Israel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Except Revelation is not chronological.

Jesus also came in the clouds in Revelation 7, and when He returns to earth and lands on Mount Olive, with the saints, He rules over the nations left alive that were attacking Israel.

um, I don't see Jesus coming in the clouds in Revelation 7.
Not all of Revelation is in chronological order you are right, but Revelation 7 comes after the 6th seal and before the 7th seal. John links it by saying "and after these things", which were, Jesus coming in the clouds after the 6th seal in Revelation 6.
It's a scene in Heaven with the great multitude that came out of great tribulation praising God at the throne.. in other words.. the results of the rapture, which took place after a bunch of martyrings that took place after the 5th seal was opened (which I see as the Great Tribulations), but before the wrath of God, which is the seven trumpets in that vision.
2 places I see Jesus coming in the clouds.
Revelation 6:12-17
Revelation 14:14-20
both after tribulation, but before the wrath of God. Revelation 14's version even has harvesting the earth. The first harvesting done by Jesus, and is notably NOT put through the wrath of God. The second harvesting is harvested by an angel, and it is put through the wrath of God.
Revelation 19, is actually setting foot on Earth, after the wrath of God, after the wedding supper of the lamb, coming back with the Saints that had been raptured earlier (in this vision, back in Revelation 14:14-20), for Armageddon.

anyway, quite a tangent, but there are still mysteries that God has not revealed to us yet, and it is declared that we'll know them after the 7th trumpet (in that vision, after the 7th vial/babylon/armageddon in the 2nd vision) establishes His kingdom on earth.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
um, I don't see Jesus coming in the clouds in Revelation 7.
Not all of Revelation is in chronological order you are right, but Revelation 7 comes after the 6th seal and before the 7th seal. John links it by saying "and after these things", which were, Jesus coming in the clouds after the 6th seal in Revelation 6.
It's a scene in Heaven with the great multitude that came out of great tribulation praising God at the throne.. in other words.. the results of the rapture, which took place after a bunch of martyrings that took place after the 5th seal was opened (which I see as the Great Tribulations), but before the wrath of God, which is the seven trumpets in that vision.
2 places I see Jesus coming in the clouds.
Revelation 6:12-17
Revelation 14:14-20
both after tribulation, but before the wrath of God. Revelation 14's version even has harvesting the earth. The first harvesting done by Jesus, and is notably NOT put through the wrath of God. The second harvesting is harvested by an angel, and it is put through the wrath of God.
Revelation 19, is actually setting foot on Earth, after the wrath of God, after the wedding supper of the lamb, coming back with the Saints that had been raptured earlier (in this vision, back in Revelation 14:14-20), for Armageddon.

anyway, quite a tangent, but there are still mysteries that God has not revealed to us yet, and it is declared that we'll know them after the 7th trumpet (in that vision, after the 7th vial/babylon/armageddon in the 2nd vision) establishes His kingdom on earth.

Revelation 1:7 Jesus comes in the clouds.

I didn’t notice the typo when I posted.

Oops.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which ignores completely Peter warning us that we must bear FRUIT and add to our faith the fruit that he lists, in order to make our calling and election sure, or we can fall.
By cultivating the qualities listed in 2 Peter 1:5-7, believers can be sure that God has called them and elected them. These fruits will confirm it. Make sure you have been called and elected - bébaios (an adjective, derived from bainō, "to walk where it is solid") – properly, solid (sure) enough to walk on; hence, firm, unshakable; (figuratively) absolutely dependable, giving guaranteed support (security, surety). To practice these qualities gives evidence of salvation, though they are not the basis (or cause) of salvation. They are the effect.

In Proverbs 24:16, we read - For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity.

And ignores Jesus’ teaching that He is the vine, we are the branches, and if we don’t bear fruit we are cut off as a DEAD BRANCH and end up burned in the fire.
In John 15:2, Greek scholar AT Robertson points out that there are - Two kinds of connections with Christ as the vine (the merely cosmic which bears no fruit, the spiritual and vital which bears fruit). The fruitless (not bearing fruit, mh peron karpon) the vine-dresser "takes away" (airei) or prunes away. Probably (Bernard) Jesus here refers to Judas..

John 15:2 Commentary - Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament

In John 15:2, Jesus mentions branches that bear no fruit and branches that bear fruit but Jesus says nothing about branches that bear fruit but then later stop bearing fruit. Without that vital union with Christ, there can be no spiritual life and no productivity. Those who profess to know Christ but whose relationship to Him is self-attached, Christ neither saved them, nor sustains them. Eventually, the dead self-attached fruitless branches are cut off.

The unprofitable servant bore no fruit.
Exactly and I already explained why in post #9. Faith without works is dead.

Upvote 0