United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who is the Bride of Christ?

In Revelations, when John sees the new heaven and earth appear, he is called to come see the Bride of the Lamb[1]. He is then shown the Holy City, New Jerusalem, descending to the ground prepared as a bride.

There ya have it. Debate solved

When God talks about cities, He refers to the people who live there. Jesus made an example of this when He wept over Jerusalem, saying how much He longed to take the city in His arms[2]. Jesus didn’t want to hold the buildings; He was loving the people. In Revelation, we get not only a description of how the Holy City looks, but also of the people who live in it. So, who are those people?

John records hearing a loud voice declaring that God’s tabernacle is with men, that these are His people and He is their God. There are no more tears, pain, death, or sorrow, and old things are passed away. God declares all things new, and promises to give freely of the water of life to those who thirst. He says those who overcome shall inherit these things and be His sons. John says There is no temple because God and the Lamb are its temple, and there is no sun or moon because they are its light. This proclaims that God once again dwells on earth with His people, the saved.

John then goes on to say that the nations of the saved shall walk in the city’s light, that the kings and nations will bring their glory and honor into it; And that only those whose names are written in the Book of life will ever enter. John is shown the river of life, and the tree of life, whose leaves are for the healing of these nations. He hears it declared that the curse of separation is over, and God can once again live with His servants, on whose foreheads is the name of God. They reign forever and ever.

So, there are two different groups inhabiting the new earth. There are those who live in New Jerusalem where God takes residence; and there are nations of the saved who live outside the city and interact with it. Remember now, this is on the new earth, all those here are saved. And while all of us do live in a world with His presence, there is a special subset He draws even nearer to live in a City with Him.

One thing we see about those in the City is that they are God’s servants. Servants can take the form of tradesmen, who are paid a wage and work at will. Or servants can be slaves who are given neither consideration. In Old Testament times, if you had a slave you had to offer him his freedom after a period of service[3]. But if you were a good and loving master he might not have wanted to leave. So, you would pierce his ear as a symbol of his becoming your bondservant. In return for his agreeing to be your slave for life, you agreed to care for him and his family for life. When God speaks about His servants He speaks of His bondservants, those who when offered freedom have chosen servitude.

The population also includes those who "overcome.” Overcome is a fighting term, meaning to gain victory against an adversary in combat. In Jesus’ letters to the churches He commends their good works, rebukes their wrongs, exhorts them to seek a special understanding, and makes a specific promise to "those who overcome.” They are promised to eat from the tree of life; to not be hurt by the second death; and to be given hidden manna and a white stone with a new name on it, unknown to any others but themselves and God. They are also given power over the nations (keeping in mind this is the New Earth). They are also to be given the morning star, to be clothed in white, and to never have their names blotted out from the book of life but confessed before the Father and His angels. They are to be made pillars in the temple of God and to never go out from it, and to have written on them the name of the City of God.

These promises are all identifiable to those given by John to the inhabitants of New Jerusalem. One new promise is that of being given the morning star. Jesus called himself the Morning Star[4], and promised to give Himself as such to His Bride.

These people who live in the City also eat from the tree of life, whereas in the earlier passage we saw that the leaves of the tree are for the nations.

We find more about overcoming. Daniel, in his visions, was told that after the beast overcomes the saints, many will be refined, purified, and made white. Then in Revelation 7:9-17 we see a vast multitude standing before the throne of God, wearing white robes and praising Him. These are described as those who come out of the great tribulation, having washed their robes in the Blood of the Lamb. These are promised to serve God before His throne day and night, and God will dwell among them. They hunger and thirst no more; the sun does not shine on them; the Lamb of the Throne will shepherd them and lead them to living waters; and their tears are wiped away. Again, Rev. 6:9-11 shows us the souls of those slain for the Word of God and His testimony under the altar, and they cry out to God asking when He will avenge their blood. They are each given a white robe and are told to rest a while longer until the number of their brethren who are likewise killed is complete.

Dwelling on the word "overcome” if I may, if we dig a little more we find two specific things overcome in the end time. One is the world, the other is Satan. We find that the world is overcome by the Blood of Jesus. But the Blood of the Lamb is specifically named in connection with the casting out of Satan[5]. We were told that Satan is overcome by the Blood of the Lamb, and the testimony of ‘those who do not love their lives unto death’.

This should put together some kind of picture for you. Jesus’ bride is those who have sealed themselves to God as true bondslaves, willing to die for Him. They will be His Bide and live with Him in the City. And the rest of us will live outside the City in nations of the saved.

Nowhere yet have we seen "the Church” in descriptions of His bride. This is unusual, because the Church is largely accepted as being the Bride of Christ. That connection comes from Ephesians 5:22-33, where Paul talks about husbands loving their wives as Christ loves the Church. In trying to explain what he calls a mystery, Paul quotes Genesis 2:23 where God declares that man and woman will become one flesh. In this setting God has just taken part of Adam’s body (his rib) to create his wife Eve. Paul specifically calls the church the body of Christ; Jesus is called the second Adam[6]. To fit the pattern of Adam would it not follow that a part, and not all, of His body will be taken to create His bride?

The Bible talks about people entering into a wedding feast, and they are called blessed because they were invited. But in a Biblical wedding feast, the bride was not invited and did not attend. She was sequestered away someplace being prepared for the wedding night. After the feast, the groom would go to take his bride from that place. An example of this is Jacob’s marriage to Rachel[7]. If his bride to be had been at the wedding feast, Jacob would have known he was being given Leah instead. So again, there are two groups here… the general populace who feast, and those sequestered who give their life as a Bride.

In another place[8] Paul explains further. He says he wishes to present us to the Lord as a chaste virgin. But then he fears, that we be deceived and corrupt that purity. I think what Paul meant is that the Church, the aggregate body of all who believe in Christ, BC or AD, have been born virgin for betrothal to the Lord. But this virginal quality can be corrupted on an individual basis. Those of His people who don’t fall to this corruption will be taken from those who do, to become His bride. The rib from the body.

Perhaps His Bride could also be seen by looking at her prefiguration. God will physically dwell on the New Earth in New Jerusalem. On Old Earth (our Earth) God physically dwelt on earth in the Tabernacle and the Temple. The facilities both consisted of a central structure, surrounded by a walled courtyard. One tribe out of the 12 (the Levites) were called apart from the family to serve inside the tabernacle/temple as God’s priests. The other tribes lived outside but brought their sacrifices into the tabernacle/temple. This is what John saw with the New Earth and New Jerusalem - the only difference being nations instead of tribes, a city instead of a tent/building, and commerce instead of sacrifice.

We heard earlier that a biblical bride went somewhere to wait and prepare for the groom. So where does She go? Jesus’ said that those in Judea should flee to the mountains when they see the abomination of desolation. The Judeans were very close and loyal to Him. We also see the Revelation 12 prophecy of the woman who fled to a place prepared for her in the wilderness where she is cared for. Hosea 2 talks about the day of the Lord, as God speaks about Israel’s harlotry and His judgment upon her, after which He allures her into the wilderness and speaks comfort to her there. She is given vineyards as in the day she was called up out of Egypt, and she now calls Him Husband, not master. Again, there’s a repeating theme.

God will have a pure and chaste bride - those who are committed to be His eternal bondservants to the death. Not all of His Body will be a part of her, but each of us has a chance to be that rib. It all depends on how much we love our Creator, and whether we let our simple dependence upon Him be corrupted.

[1] Rev. 21, 22

[2] Matt. 23:37

[3] Gen. 21:1-6

[4] Rev. 22:16

[5] Rev. 7 and 12

[6] 1 Cor. 15:22, 45-49

[7] Gen. 29

[8] 2 Cor. 11

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who is the Bride of Christ?

The bride of Christ is written as a singular female however she is actually composed of a huge number of men and women (Christians). So is there one bride or many? The many form a singular. It is the same way with the Trinity. Three composing a single God does not equal 3 Gods despite that there are three of them in the Trinity. The three form a singular God.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

New Jerusalem is used as a metaphor for it's inhabitants. Christians are the bride:

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Here we are told plainly that the example of a man and his wife being of one flesh is about Christ and the church.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Here again it is Christians that will marry Christ who was raised from the dead.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman "Babylon" also called a city can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ, a group of saved people, can be represented as a city "New Jerusalem" as well.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bride of Christ is written as a singular female however she is actually composed of a huge number of men and women (Christians). So is there one bride or many? The many form a singular. It is the same way with the Trinity. Three composing a single God does not equal 3 Gods despite that there are three of them in the Trinity. The three form a singular God.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

New Jerusalem is used as a metaphor for it's inhabitants. Christians are the bride:

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Here we are told plainly that the example of a man and his wife being of one flesh is about Christ and the church.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Here again it is Christians that will marry Christ who was raised from the dead.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman "Babylon" also called a city can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ, a group of saved people, can be represented as a city "New Jerusalem" as well.
First I have to ask if you read the article with an open mind or with the intent to respond, as you repeatedly affirmed something I said as if I hadn't said it (I'll let you figure out what that was).

How do you resolve the issue that there are:

One group of Christians who live in New Jerusalem,

another group of Christians who live in nations outside New Jerusalem ?

If we are all the Bride, then don't all of us live in New Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First I have to ask if you read the article with an open mind or with the intent to respond, as you repeatedly affirmed something I said as if I hadn't said it (I'll let you figure out what that was).

How do you resolve the issue that there are:

One group of Christians who live in New Jerusalem,

another group of Christians who live in nations outside New Jerusalem ?

If we are all the Bride, then don't all of us live in New Jerusalem?

No. Some live elsewhere. NJ is simply like the capital but does represent the bride of Christ but it isn't required for all Christians to live inside of it.

Upvote 0