Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Apostle Matthew was an astute theologian as evidenced by structuring his gospel around five topics (discourses). The Apostle Matthew witnessed the life of the Lord Jesus as a chronology but recorded it topically using the chronology as both a frame work and to provide necessary information as part of the transitions. In the light of the writings of the prophet Daniel and the messianic expectations of the first century, believers ought to contemplate why was Levi collecting taxes for Rome? Who was this Jew who recorded the Gospel according to Matthew?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Just want to point out, Matthew collected taxes in Capernaum. Hence he was collecting taxes for Herod Antipas, not Rome. Capernaum fell within his tetrachy, and Rome generally subsidised levant client states to act as buffers against her enemies or to keep the peace, not as sources of income. So the taxes Matthew collected would have gone into Antipas' treasury and likely used to build his cities like Tiberias.

Matthew was a Publicanus. We translate this as tax collector, but it was more a public contractor. Publicani bid on contracts for the state, be it building projects or maintenance or tax farming. The latter was the most visible activity they undertook, and hence people started seeing them only in that light. No one likes the taxman, but the state needs money to maintain infrastructure and defend itself.
Tax farming entailed bidding on the presumed taxes an area is supposed to bring in. The tax farmer then supplies that amount to the state, and attempts to recoup it by collecting the taxes owed. Anything he collects above the bid that the state had accepted, is profit to the tax farmer for his trouble. This gives the state a steady income in good or bad years, where the risk is taken by the tax farmer that the district won't cover the amount, and he runs a loss, in bad years. In good years, the tax farmer can make a tidy profit, so often became quite rich in prosperous times. It is also a system very prone to abuse by the tax collector himself, as he has a personal interest in squeesing every red cent from those in his district, while the state still gets the same amount each year. Taxes were reassessed on a regular basis, usually about every 15 years (the Indiction), depending on province.

So Matthew perhaps had other state contracts as a Publicanus, and certainly was disliked for collecting taxes - a known abusive and corrupt occupation. This was for a Jewish client-king of Rome though, not Rome directly.

It also means he was fairly educated, at least middle class, probably conversant in both Greek and Aramaic, and certainly literate. There is a tradition derived from Papias that he wrote his gospel in Aramaic, hence groups such as the Judaising Nazerenes claimed to possess the original. Alternately, some supporters of the Peshitta says it has the original version. I have even seen argued that the theoretical Q gospel is Matthew's Aramaic gospel. The current Gospel of Matthew was certainly likely written in Greek, so is probably not a translation thereof, and has been ascribed to Matthew since the 2nd century. Church tradition suggests he wrote both a Greek and an Aramaic gospel therefore, which is certainly possible based on his background.

There is also debate if Levi and Matthew are the same person, as Clement seemed to have listed them separately, but in general the Church seemed to have conflated the two since very early times.

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just want to point out, Matthew collected taxes in Capernaum. Hence he was collecting taxes for Herod Antipas, not Rome. Capernaum fell within his tetrachy, and Rome generally subsidised levant client states to act as buffers against her enemies or to keep the peace, not as sources of income. So the taxes Matthew collected would have gone into Antipas' treasury and likely used to build his cities like Tiberias.

Matthew was a Publicanus. We translate this as tax collector, but it was more a public contractor. Publicani bid on contracts for the state, be it building projects or maintenance or tax farming. The latter was the most visible activity they undertook, and hence people started seeing them only in that light. No one likes the taxman, but the state needs money to maintain infrastructure and defend itself.
Tax farming entailed bidding on the presumed taxes an area is supposed to bring in. The tax farmer then supplies that amount to the state, and attempts to recoup it by collecting the taxes owed. Anything he collects above the bid that the state had accepted, is profit to the tax farmer for his trouble. This gives the state a steady income in good or bad years, where the risk is taken by the tax farmer that the district won't cover the amount, and he runs a loss, in bad years. In good years, the tax farmer can make a tidy profit, so often became quite rich in prosperous times. It is also a system very prone to abuse by the tax collector himself, as he has a personal interest in squeesing every red cent from those in his district, while the state still gets the same amount each year. Taxes were reassessed on a regular basis, usually about every 15 years (the Indiction), depending on province.

So Matthew perhaps had other state contracts as a Publicanus, and certainly was disliked for collecting taxes - a known abusive and corrupt occupation. This was for a Jewish client-king of Rome though, not Rome directly.

It also means he was fairly educated, at least middle class, probably conversant in both Greek and Aramaic, and certainly literate. There is a tradition derived from Papias that he wrote his gospel in Aramaic, hence groups such as the Judaising Nazerenes claimed to possess the original. Alternately, some supporters of the Peshitta says it has the original version. I have even seen argued that the theoretical Q gospel is Matthew's Aramaic gospel. The current Gospel of Matthew was certainly likely written in Greek, so is probably not a translation thereof, and has been ascribed to Matthew since the 2nd century. Church tradition suggests he wrote both a Greek and an Aramaic gospel therefore, which is certainly possible based on his background.

There is also debate if Levi and Matthew are the same person, as Clement seemed to have listed them separately, but in general the Church seemed to have conflated the two since very early times.
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you for supplying excellent background material.
Is there any way to speculate on Matthew's tribe?
Do you care to speculate why Matthew became a publican?
Why he became a disciple?
Where did he gain the skills to separate the teachings of the Lord Jesus into topics and by what process did he do this?

Maybe from anther's quote of Papias, there is the account of Matthew's collection of "The Saying of Jesus" written in Aramaic, and that Matthew kept them wrapped in a cloth upon which was the facial impression of the Lord Jesus.

Note: The several volumes work of Papias existed into the 12th or 13th century. Then all direct references to his writings ceased. One wonders why the works by such an early church bishop would ceased to be preserved or were they destroyed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you for supplying excellent background material.
Is there any way to speculate on Matthew's tribe?
Do you care to speculate why Matthew became a publican?
Why he became a disciple?
Where did he gain the skills to separate the teachings of the Lord Jesus into topics and by what process did he do this?
Matthew was a Jew, so his tribe was likely Judah or Benjamin. He is in Galilee, so a northern tribe is possible but less likely. I don't see how any good information on this point can be found.

Matthew was a Publican because this was a well-paying job. Probably he was from a family of Publicans that may have collaborated with Rome, or he simply may have been chosen by Antipas as a reliable man. Either way, he must have come from some means to be able to bid on collecting taxes. This also means he was fairly educated. How he specifically laid out his writings I am not qualified nor specifically knowledgable to comment much on.

As to why Matthew bacame a disciple: Because Jesus called him.

I like to think that the publican from the Pharisee and the Publican praying in the Temple (Luke 18:9-14), is related to Matthew: "Have mercy on me, a sinner" - Such a contrite publican is certainly disciple and Apostle material.

Maybe from anther's quote of Papias, there is the account of Matthew's collection of "The Saying of Jesus" written in Aramaic, and that Matthew kept them wrapped in a cloth upon which was the facial impression of the Lord Jesus.

As far as I know, this is what Papias has to say on Matthew's gospel:
"Therefore Matthew put the logia in an ordered arrangement in the Hebrew language, but each person interpreted them as best he could."

From whence did you derive the extra material of wrapping in a cloth with Jesus' face, etc.?

Note: The several volumes work of Papias existed into the 12th or 13th century. Then all direct references to his writings ceased. One wonders why the works by such an early church bishop would ceased to be preserved or were they destroyed?
This is interesting. Upon what are you basing the statement that volumes of Papias survived into the 12th and 13th centuties? As far as I know we only have epitomes and fragments by the High Mediaeval period. Is it based on a catalogue?

I don't think they would be purposefully destroyed or not be preserved. Likely just the vagaries of time, war, and the human tendency to be selective preservers. Papias was already doubted by Eusebius and possibly went against Church tradition on John's longevity, so if you had a limited budget in the scriptorium or could only carry a certain amount of books, I can see Augustine or Jerome or Clement taking precedence to Papias.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew was a Jew, so his tribe was likely Judah or Benjamin. He is in Galilee, so a northern tribe is possible but less likely. I don't see how any good information on this point can be found.

Matthew was a Publican because this was a well-paying job. Probably he was from a family of Publicans that may have collaborated with Rome, or he simply may have been chosen by Antipas as a reliable man. Either way, he must have come from some means to be able to bid on collecting taxes. This also means he was fairly educated. How he specifically laid out his writings I am not qualified nor specifically knowledgable to comment much on.

As to why Matthew became a disciple: Because Jesus called him.

I like to think that the publican from the Pharisee and the Publican praying in the Temple (Luke 18:9-14), is related to Matthew: "Have mercy on me, a sinner" - Such a contrite publican is certainly disciple and Apostle material.

As far as I know, this is what Papias has to say on Matthew's gospel:
"Therefore Matthew put the logia in an ordered arrangement in the Hebrew language, but each person interpreted them as best he could."

From whence did you derive the extra material of wrapping in a cloth with Jesus' face, etc.?

This is interesting. Upon what are you basing the statement that volumes of Papias survived into the 12th and 13th centuties? As far as I know we only have epitomes and fragments by the High Mediaeval period. Is it based on a catalogue?

I don't think they would be purposefully destroyed or not be preserved. Likely just the vagaries of time, war, and the human tendency to be selective preservers. Papias was already doubted by Eusebius and possibly went against Church tradition on John's longevity, so if you had a limited budget in the scriptorium or could only carry a certain amount of books, I can see Augustine or Jerome or Clement taking precedence to Papias.
--------------------------------------------------------
Again, thank you for an excellent reply. Glad you asked about references to details. For some years this same question has been a concern. Papias was referenced around 1223 to 1238. At the time it was thought the reference was made directly from the five volumes since this was said to be the last reference, but that might have been a misunderstanding in that the reference might be to a work quoting Papias. Anyway, a reason to search for this reference and for the story of the cloth with the imprint of the face of Jesus.

My memory is from a second hand source and not based upon a catalogue. I have often wished that a note was made of the source.

Your speculation as to the probability of the Apostle Matthew's education is certainly justified given his occupation and his ability to arrange the teachings of the Lord Jesus by topic. Also, if the Luke 18:9-14 passage describes Matthew, a Bible student might speculate about Matthew's youthful expectations of the coming Messiah, his disillusionment, his choice of occupation, and finally Matthew forsakes his doubt to follow. Today, we would wish to know Matthew's struggle, as well as that of the others, but they wrote about the Lord and not themselves. It was not Matthew's personal spiritual journey which he thought worthy of recording.

A fictional account of the Life of the Apostle Matthew could be entertaining.

Upvote 0