• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Who is smarter? Democrats or Republicans?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by ObamaChristian, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ObamaChristian

ObamaChristian Active Member

+15
    Calvinist
    Married
    Here are two articles I found; one of them suggests democrats and the other republicans.

Who’s Smarter? Republicans and Democrats In Congress | Psychology Today
    Highlighting studies that show democratic congressmen to be smarter and democratic voters to be smarter (by smarter, simply just means higher IQ)

Republicans More Educated & Informed, Higher Political IQ, per Liberal Pew Poll

Some quiz by the pew research center where republicans outperformed democrats on answering questions on politics.

Here is the actual quiz, I got 10/13. Missing the question on who was the CEO of Yahoo and the quiz on what all the highlighted states have in common and the dow jones quiz.

The News IQ Quiz | Pew Research Center

What do you think?
    Got any other studies of democrat vs. republican iq that I can look at?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Joykins

Joykins free Crazy Liz!

+1,092
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I got 13/13 but I don't think that quiz is particularly hard--nor do I think that you would need to do more than pay attention to what is going on in the world to do well on it (as opposed to actual IQ). Also I am a Democrat, but it may be that Republicans read or watch more news or something.

I think the personality/cognitive/moral foundation differences between liberals and conservatives are more interesting to me than quibbling about who is more stupid. There are many different measures of intelligence after all, and, as you point out, some groups do better on one measure than another.

3. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian and Unapologetic Iconodule

+3,989
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    If you buy into the two-party dichotomy- and further think your vote actually counts for anything- then I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

4. XB3LI3V3RX

XB3LI3V3RX Animal Lover

+47
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Republican
    Neither.

5. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+618
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    12/13... not bad for a non-American I think. Though, I only got the yahoo one because the OP mentioned it, so really I only got 11/13.

How do only 51% of people with 'some college' know where Egypt is? I thought Egypt was one of those countries everyone knows. Especially considering that Egypt has had alot going on recently, more people must have searched it.

I don't know how meaningful it is to look at two massive parties like that. There we be a whole range of people voting for different reasons for a party, when you only have a two party system.

6. GarfieldJL

GarfieldJL Regular Member

+602
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I got 12 out of 13, the only one I didn't know was the picture of the woman who was the CEO of Yahoo, and I answered it was Wendy Davis (thought it could be an old photo of her).

I don't pay attention to celebrities and I don't exactly memorize the pictures of CEOs of big companies, so all and all I think I did pretty well.

7. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,147
    Atheist
    Single
    I took it while watching TV.

10 out of 13 while not concentrating.

MIssed the state one, probably would have got it if I took the time to examine each state.

Many of the people were flat out guesses.

Interesting that ther were no questions that required ant thought about issues.

8. Standing_Ultraviolet

Standing_Ultraviolet Dunkleosteus

+107
    Humanist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I'm just going to leave this here...

[​IMG]

9. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,927
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    Perhaps voting should require a competency test. If you can't recognize the VP of the US and believe Obama is against gay rights, you probably have no business voting in the next election. And if you think the American Revolutionary war was fought in the 1950s between China and the US, you can't vote until you take a current affairs course, an American History class, and pass the test before you are allowed to vote again.

10. GarfieldJL

GarfieldJL Regular Member

+602
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Republican
    If they had, then the test would have a credibility issue. What they were asking was if you had a general knowledge on the issues (as opposed to celebrities, American Idol, etc.).

So I'd say it was a valid test, though I don't get why they had that CEO question thrown in.

11. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    I don't understand why it matters if we know what the CEO of Yahoo looks like?

12. Savior2006

Savior2006 Guest

+0
    You have to understand that the average person from any group is going to have just average intelligence. And IQ isn't something you can easily test for. There's kinetic intelligence. Musical intelligence...

13. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

+1,627
    Atheist
    Private
    Photoshop? :D

14. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,047
    Humanist
    Private
    Golly gosh, I just LOVE me some Faux News! ^_^

15. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,047
    Humanist
    Private
    Looks more like a screen shot to me.

16. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

+1,627
    Atheist
    Private
    I'll bet there are some people right here who are wondering what we're talking about. :D

17. Rubiks

Rubiks armchair linguist

+1,972
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I got 11/13. I'm really suprised

But really, we should rename this thread to "what political party am i"

18. Rubiks

Rubiks armchair linguist

+1,972
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    It was probably a mistake anyway. It happens.

19. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    I looked past it the first time. I bet Egypt is wondering where the Nile River went!

20. Needing_Grace

Needing_Grace Chief of Sinners

+140
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    And no wonder the Israelites took so long to get to the promised land having to go through Syria and Jordan like that... :D:D:D