Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You know, we have so many denominations in the world. Each claiming theirs has the truth. Each criticizing each others belief system. All Christians yet greatly opposed to one another.

I strongly believe in the 'Catholic' teachings yet others will immediately attack those beliefs.

Why do we attack one another all the time?

Everyone thinks that they belong to the correct 'belief' system.

Some are 'Solar Scripturists'. Some are more open to how the Holy Spirit works.

I truly believe that God continues to teach, outside of the Bible. Where was the Bible before the Church put it together? People went by 'oral' traditions. Its very sad to see us all bickering on here, day after day.

I wish we could all join as one in the name of Jesus. In the name of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Religious differences notwithstanding, it's all part of a greater "I'm right, and you're not" mentality. (I'm guilty of that as well...but I'm actually right.) :D

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith, that is the "word content" of your spirit, comes directly from Christ via revelation by the Holy Spirit. He does not reveal one thing into one person and something else into another. Furthermore, your spirit has no false beliefs in it. Your mind likely has plenty... as does everyone else. But as for the beliefs that exist in our spirits, they are all identical. We are in perfect agreement in our spirits. Not so much in our minds. All disagreements and differences exist in our minds... not in our spirits.
I rest in that. One day we may agree in mind... but at this point not. Until then I fellowship with anyone who believes that Jesus died for their sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yep, since people like to play king of the hill so much, I'll have to guess only God is right. I've never doubted that, but only whether organized religion as a business is imbued with the Holy Spirit. Even the apostles bickered amongst themselves, and rebuked each other based on their own viewpoints. Jesus works with the flawed that are humble enough to recognize and admit they are flawed. Thank God being human is forgivable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, we have so many denominations in the world. Each claiming theirs has the truth. Each criticizing each others belief system. All Christians yet greatly opposed to one another.

I strongly believe in the 'Catholic' teachings yet others will immediately attack those beliefs.

I truly believe that God continues to teach, outside of the Bible. Where was the Bible before the Church put it together? People went by 'oral' traditions. Its very sad to see us all bickering on here, day after day.

I wish we could all join as one in the name of Jesus. In the name of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

I've often voiced a similar predisposition as yours toward the issue of denominationalism, but then when I have done so, there's always someone who pops up and exclaims that I'm supposedly guilty of the sin of full-blown Ecumenicalism. :confused:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Back in the 1970's we all used to talk about unity. Well, not everybody. We used to discuss and research and see if we were saying the same thing but in different ways. But things changed over the years. Ecumenism is rather dead. Oh, there are a few good discussions these days, but not enough.

I'm looking for an alliance of believing Catholics, Orthodox, and evangelicals. I doubt if it's possible. It would be grand though.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Lost4words ,
When I was in seventh grade, I found no fault in what I was taught in first grade, because everything, going forward, was built on that.

If I discussed my current curriculum with a first-grader, they would be greatly critical of my [seventh grade] point-of-view, because of where they were in the process.

Similarly, denominational criticism is one-way, not two-way. I am not critical of where I have been (in my Christian Walk) and, like the seventh-grader, I recognize that I have not graduated, yet; so I know that I have not arrived, either.

I am not sure how to make peace with those who are so critical/offended, but refusing to move forward is not it.

Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It would be nice if we could all focus on our similarities rather than our differences.
Following Jesus - "focus" -ing on Jesus, removes all the errors, by His Light.
Ekklesia , called out ones, come out and follow Him, TOGETHER. In His Light.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Denominationalism has been the scourge of Christianity for a very long time, but even though it has so influenced the way that many view the faith (e.g., thinking of communions as being the same as denominations), I do not believe that it necessarily touches the basic foundations of the faith. Witness, for instance, how this very open website nevertheless keeps the Nicene Creed as its statement of faith.

Regarding who is 'right': we testify in my own tradition that God Himself -- the Holy Spirit, the Giver of Life -- gave us this faith, so it is not of our own that we should boast, but only in Christ and what He has done for us, which He did not do only for the Egyptians, or only for the Syrians, or only for the Greeks or Latins or whoever, but for all who believe in Him, the Savior and Redeemer of all, the Only-Begotten Son of God. (This is not to say that differences don't matter -- obviously I am Oriental Orthodox and not something else, and as I converted of my own free will, that was not by accident of birth or anything; what I mean is that to get to the level at which basically all agree you have to look at the most basic things, as realistically there is going to be less agreement in the post-Nicene matters, when you start seeing major schisms in Christianity, e.g., at Ephesus, Chalcedon, in 1054, in the 16th century with Protestantism, etc.)

Sacramental communion may be a different discussion to have, but regarding these very basic things, I don't see any difference between us and any other who are Christians, as we all hold to the same standard.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually I believe most Christians think we are united to one degree or another by faith in the Son of God articulated in the Nicene creed. I think generalizing what we see on a Christian debate forum causes a skewed assumption of what most Christians think.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is sad thing, after all, if we are supposed to be disciples of Jesus, we should be recognized by these:

"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

John 13:34-35

If I would have to say who is right, I would say those who are loyal to Jesus and remain in his words. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There is only one church and solo Scriptura represents the Apostle's doctrine.

• Haha
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For tangibles, it is pretty clear that the Bible and the Church that it describes ARE the standard. The problem (between people) is that we all bring our own baggage into this process (of sanctification). That isn't a problem for God.

The more we draw near to Jesus, the closer we will grow toward each other. That is known as "convergence."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is only one church and solo Scriptura represents the Apostle's doctrine.

Thing is, the Bible wasnt around for over 300 years so how can one claim Sola Scripture?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If I would have to say who is right, I would say those who are loyal to Jesus and remain in his words.
Yes, and always agree with what Yahweh Says in His Word:
we should be recognized by these:
"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

John 13:34-35
and it is sad why ? The truth is there for all who seek it. The truth does not change, so what then is not true ? The truth sets us free from deception.
It is sad thing, after all, if we are supposed to be disciples of Jesus,

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The scriptures have been around since the very beginning of the apostles ministry..
The TORAH, PROPHETS and PSALMS, then also NT, is the Scriptures Jesus and the Apostles all were familiar with and trusted the FATHER had given, completely.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The scriptures have been around since the very beginning of the apostles ministry..

In fragments. Not bound together in a book. And even then, "The Canon" was not put together for a few hundred years.

• Agree
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0