Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me." - Luke 18:22

OK, I live in Australia and our $ is currently:
1 Australian Dollar equals
0.75 US Dollar

I have $8 Aust in my bank account after 13 years of full time work and I'm relying on social security and charity after I was fired caring for my dying partner 8 months ago (she dies 6 months ago).

I've had to start again twice.

1st was divorce.
2nd death of fiance.

The job I was fired from while caring for my 2nd partner had an income of $89,000 per year, but with all the time off caring for my partner my income was around $50,000 per year.

In Melbourne Australia $50,000 cant support a sick family for very long.

I couldn't pay the bills and was subleasing against the owners knowledge to try stay afloat and I was way behind in rent payments, about to be evicted.

Now in Indonesia $50,000 Aust is a lot of money and goes much much further in their country.

So my questions:

Who is poor?

How is being poor measured?

Last edited:
Reactions: Left

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think poor is much less than we sometimes think it is. We tend to be informed by our culture.

There have been years I had an income of $5k or $12k, due to illness or other factors. I remember having 50 cents to spend seemed like something (I do like to shop) and spending 25 cents from that on a broken ceramic cat that I liked was a luxury.

Was I poor? Well, part of that time I had paid-off property, a farm, which means I produced food, the land had trees that could produce heat, and so on. I still needed winter feed for the animals though, and sometimes that was hard to come by. But for the most part, I could produce everything I needed and lived comfortably enough as far as needs, though it was hard work and took figuring things out too.

But whether or not we are poor, whether or not we "feel" poor, depends on who we compare ourselves to.

We might be surrounded by folks who can go on vacations, buy new vehicles, buy nice clothes (new ones, not from the thrift store), go out to eat, and buy things when they want them. If we compare ourselves to them, some of us might feel cheated, poor, even covetous of what others have.

But on the other hand, if we have a roof of some kind over our head, food to put in our bellies when we get hungry, clothing to protect us from the elements - do we even realize that makes us rich by many people's standards? And many will have in addition to that a vehicle, a television, internet access, a cell phone. Compared to much of the world's population, we are getting into luxury now.

I don't know. I've undergone a very radical transformation in my own thinking about how I view money and living standard and such things. At one time, I felt deprived and covetous of others. Now I have less in some ways, but it's more than I really need, and I feel overwhelmingly blessed. A very great deal of how we experience this part of our life depends on how we think about it. And that depends a lot on who we compare ourselves to, and what we place value upon.

I think "the poor" are often those who think they are poor. They make their experience poor.

Yet the TRUE poor, are those that are heartbreaking to see, without enough food, clean water, decent shelter, or access to health care. Those are the ones we should be comparing ourselves to, and see that we are truly rich by comparison, sometimes embarrassingly so.

Lord have mercy. I convict my own self by my words.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think poor is much less than we sometimes think it is. We tend to be informed by our culture.

There have been years I had an income of $5k or $12k, due to illness or other factors. I remember having 50 cents to spend seemed like something (I do like to shop) and spending 25 cents from that on a broken ceramic cat that I liked was a luxury.

Was I poor? Well, part of that time I had paid-off property, a farm, which means I produced food, the land had trees that could produce heat, and so on. I still needed winter feed for the animals though, and sometimes that was hard to come by. But for the most part, I could produce everything I needed and lived comfortably, though it was hard work and took figuring things out too.

But whether or not we are poor, whether or not we "feel" poor, depends on who we compare ourselves too.

We might be surrounded by folks who can go on vacations, but new vehicles, buy nice clothes (new ones, not from the thrift store), go out to eat, and buy things when they want them. If we compare ourselves to them, some of us might feel cheated, poor, even covetous of what others have.

But on the other hand, if we have a roof of some kind over our head, food to put in our bellies when we get hungry, clothing to protect us from the elements - do we even realize that makes us rich by many people's standards? And many will have in addition to that a vehicle, a television, internet access, a cell phone. Compared to much of the workd's pipulation, we are getting into luxury now.

I don't know. I've undergone a very radical transformation in my own thinking about how I view money and living standard and such things. At one time, I felt deprived and covetous of others. Now I have less in some ways, but it's more than I really need, and I feel overwhelmingly blessed. A very great deal of how we experience this part of our life depends on how we think about it. And that depends a lot on who we compare ourselves to, and what we place value upon.

I think "the poor" are often those who think they are poor. They make their experience poor.

Yet the TRUE poor, are those that are heartbreaking to see, without enough food, clean water, decent shelter, or access to health care. Those are the ones we should be comparing ourselves to, and see that we are truly rich by comparison, sometimes embarrassingly so.

Lord have mercy. I convict my own self by my words.

I dont feel poor in spirit, however I rely on charity ATM.

I'm capable and educated so I dont consider myself unable to earn a wage when I'm back on my feet.

However in Australia owning Land to grow your own food costs a lot of money.

Our housing market is ridiculous.

How do we give our money to the people who have no charity?

People who have no homes or land to grow food and animal husbandry.

Where are they in the world?

This is a hard one, Its been bugging me all day.

As Jesus words are clear, and yes we end-up convicting our own selves.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me." - Luke 18:22

0.75 US Dollar

I have $8 Aust in my bank account after 13 years of full time work and I'm relying on social security and charity after I was fired caring for my dying partner 8 months ago (she dies 6 months ago).

1st was divorce.
2nd death of fiance.

The job I was fired from while caring for my 2nd partner had an income of $89,000 per year, but with all the time off caring for my partner my income was around $50,000 per year.

I couldn't pay the bills and was subleasing against the owners knowledge to try stay afloat and I was way behind in rent payments, about to be evicted.

Now in Indonesia $50,000 Aust is a lot of money and goes much much further in their country.

So my questions:

Who is poor?

0.75 US Dollar

1st was divorce.
2nd death of fiance.

So my questions:

Who is poor?

Pretty sure you can't be fired from full time work for looking after a sick partner in Australia. Have you spoken to a lawyer? Could be wrongful dismissal. Move fast, though, these things usually have a time limit. There are lawyers around who take these sorts of job on no win no fee contingency if you're worrjed about cost.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Pretty sure you can't be fired from full time work for looking after a sick partner in Australia. Have you spoken to a lawyer? Could be wrongful dismissal. Move fast, though, these things usually have a time limit. There are lawyers around who take these sorts of job on no win no fee contingency if you're worrjed about cost.

Thanks brother,

There is a clause, if you take more than 3 months off in a 12 month period they can fire you.

Its too late now and the only case I had was indirect discrimination.

I had to concentrate on getting new employment for the last 2 months of my partners life.

I had no time, energy to invest in lawyers at that stage.

It got really bad.

I put everything we owned up for sale, and I was about to take my very sick partner up north to queensland to try and help her survive.

She was too sick and couldn't leave, her brain couldn't process the stress anymore.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks brother,

There is a clause, if you take more than 3 months off in a 12 month period they can fire you.

I had to concentrate on getting new employment for the last 2 months of my partners life.

It got really bad.

I put everything we owned up for sale, and I was about to take my very sick partner up north to queensland to try and help her survive.

She was too sick and couldn't leave, her brain couldn't process the stress anymore.
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you working now?

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you working now?

No I'm just getting over PTSD.

I found her body.

Its been a terribly trialling time.

But I'll get a new job soon.

I have support, charity which I'm ever grateful for. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dont feel poor in spirit, however I rely on charity ATM.

I'm capable and educated so I dont consider myself unable to earn a wage when I'm back on my feet.

However in Australia owning Land to grow your own food costs a lot of money.

Our housing market is ridiculous.

How do we give our money to the people who have no charity?

People who have no homes or land to grow food and animal husbandry.

Where are they in the world?

This is a hard one, Its been bugging me all day.

As Jesus words are clear, and yes we end-up convicting our own selves.

That farm was a large brick house and several acres of land that cost $45k. Which is dirt-cheap, but if was a foreclosure, it was overgrown, vandals had spray painted the outside, the flooring had been ripped up in parts, the roof leaked, the tub was cracked. And I moved in like that. The real estate agent was aghast, lol. But it was all fixable, and/or cosmetic. It was a good move for me. And it was in central Texas, USA. The only bad thing is that the weather there makes farming much harder work than it needs to be. In a few years' time I dealt with floods, drought, heat that would kill animals, ice that just made it hard on me, plagues of locusts, and predators that devastated some of my livestock. It wasn't easy ... in fact there's a movie of a woman who tried to make it farming during the Great Depression (true story) not many miles from my farm. She made it, but only with ingenuity, help, hard work, and bloodied hands.

That doesn't describe reality for very many though. And not me anymore either. I had to move. Now just a few vegetables, planted fruit trees that don't produce yet, put in a chicken coop, considering rabbits. It's all I can manage in a suburban yard, but some people are masters at it and can feed several families on 1/2 an acre, and live on it too.

I don't like to talk about my current personal situation publicly, but because of medical issues (cancer treatment) I know the kinds of things you're talking about. I can't give money to the poor either, and it kind of bothers me too. But there are other ways of helping people, and sometimes I think it means more.

Some people need someone to listen, to treat them as a human person with dignity, and care. It can sometimes feel like an insult to have strangers toss a little money to the poor so they don't have to look at them otherwise, you know? That's what I've been told anyway. And not only the poor, but what about the forgotten? People in nursing homes that no one ever visits? Those in prison? Youth who have nowhere to go and don't feel like anyone understands them? Children whose parents are struggling with issues and don't take time to make them feel loved? I think we are surrounded by broken, needy people, with different kinds of needs, wherever we are. It can take a while, maybe, to find a good niche where we can help, offer whatever it is that we are able to share. But I think God looks with approval on any of those efforts. We are all just trying to do the best we can to show His love. Sometimes we can do that by giving money, sometimes maybe by giving ourselves.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks brother,

It got really bad.

No I'm just getting over PTSD.

I found her body.

Its been a terribly trialing time.

But I'll get a new job soon.

I have support, charity which I'm ever grateful for. :)

Lord have mercy! I am sorry, I sometimes type very slowly.

I think you should be concerned for healing yourself right now. I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I wish I could offer more, but it's dangerously close to my heart as well.

Please be kind to yourself. Christ isn't a cruel taskmaster, you know. If you're feeling bothered all day about giving to the poor, you might want to examine that before you let it condemn you, because in your circumstance, it's probably not the Lord.

Remember the light burden, the easy yoke, Him not breaking a bruised reed or quenching a failing wick?

I wouldn't have said what I posted if I'd known this. Forgive me please. Prayers for you.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That farm was a large brick house and several acres of land that cost $45k. Which is dirt-cheap, but if was a foreclosure, it was overgrown, vandals had spray painted the outside, the flooring had been ripped up in parts, the roof leaked, the tub was cracked. And I moved in like that. The real estate agent was aghast, lol. But it was all fixable, and/or cosmetic. It was a good move for me. And it was in central Texas, USA. The only bad thing is that the weather there makes farming much harder work than it needs to be. In a few years' time I dealt with floods, drought, heat that would kill animals, ice that just made it hard on me, plagues of locusts, and predators that devastated some of my livestock. It wasn't easy ... in fact there's a movie of a woman who tried to make it farming during the Great Depression (true story) not many miles from my farm. She made it, but only with ingenuity, help, hard work, and bloodied hands.

That doesn't describe reality for very many though. And not me anymore either. I had to move. Now just a few vegetables, planted fruit trees that don't produce yet, put in a chicken coop, considering rabbits. It's all I can manage in a suburban yard, but some people are masters at it and can feed several families on 1/2 an acre, and live on it too.

I don't like to talk about my current personal situation publicly, but because of medical issues (cancer treatment) I know the kinds of things you're talking about. I can't give money to the poor either, and it kind of bothers me too. But there are other ways of helping people, and sometimes I think it means more.

Some people need someone to listen, to treat them as a human person with dignity, and care. It can sometimes feel like an insult to have strangers toss a little money to the poor so they don't have to look at them otherwise, you know? That's what I've been told anyway. And not only the poor, but what about the forgotten? People in nursing homes that no one ever visits? Those in prison? Youth who have nowhere to go and don't feel like anyone understands them? Children whose parents are struggling with issues and don't take time to make them feel loved? I think we are surrounded by broken, needy people, with different kinds of needs, wherever we are. It can take a while, maybe, to find a good niche where we can help, offer whatever it is that we are able to share. But I think God looks with approval on any of those efforts. We are all just trying to do the best we can to show His love. Sometimes we can do that by giving money, sometimes maybe by giving ourselves.

You're inspiring me to work to get a small farm!

:)

I'm so sorry you are battling cancer.

My heart and love goes out to you.

You're also inspiring me to go out and help people in various trialling situations.

God bless you Anastasia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're inspiring me to work to get a small farm!

:)

I'm so sorry you are battling cancer.

My heart and love goes out to you.

You're also inspiring me to go out and help people in various trialling situations.

God bless you Anastasia

I'm glad if I could help. I felt awful when I read your other posts in light of what I'd just said to you!

Farming is hard work, and knowing a few things makes it more productive and easier. If you DO decide to do it, on a small scale or larger, I'd be happy to offer what I know. What I learned is how to produce pretty well with a fairly closed system, on a small piece of land. Some livestock and crops are much more of a "payback" than others, so that even a yard on a .25 plot can be useful. Anyway, if you ever head that direction, if you want whatever I can offer by information, let me know.

I'm just glad I didn't make you feel worse. Seriously, be kind to yourself.

And as far as farming, you know something I find interesting? Community gardens, where land is sometimes even borrowed by donors, and people get together and work small plots of their own side by side. People get a feeling of accomplishment, they get to provide something for themselves they meet their "neighbors" and often it works out to barter or trade what is grown, because it's easier to concentrate on a few kinds of crops but that might overproduce what one family needs. It feeds people, gets them exercise, gives them a sense of value, has them interacting - it can be a very good thing all around! These kinds of things inspire me. :)

Please do be kind to yourself though. You have my prayers.

Thank you, and God be with you!

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm glad if I could help. I felt awful when I read your other posts in light of what I'd just said to you!

Farming is hard work, and knowing a few things makes it more productive and easier. If you DO decide to do it, on a small scale or larger, I'd be happy to offer what I know. What I learned is how to produce pretty well with a fairly closed system, on a small piece of land. Some livestock and crops are much more of a "payback" than others, so that even a yard on a .25 plot can be useful. Anyway, if you ever head that direction, if you want whatever I can offer by information, let me know.

I'm just glad I didn't make you feel worse. Seriously, be kind to yourself.

And as far as farming, you know something I find interesting? Community gardens, where land is sometimes even borrowed by donors, and people get together and work small plots of their own side by side. People get a feeling of accomplishment, they get to provide something for themselves they meet their "neighbors" and often it works out to barter or trade what is grown, because it's easier to concentrate on a few kinds of crops but that might overproduce what one family needs. It feeds people, gets them exercise, gives them a sense of value, has them interacting - it can be a very good thing all around! These kinds of things inspire me. :)

Please do be kind to yourself though. You have my prayers.

Thank you, and God be with you!

Thank you Anastasia I will seek your wisdom regarding farming :)

Living off the land is something I've always dreamed about.

My grandfather was a farmer and I always loved doing his daily routine with him :)

I'll be kind to myself :)

Thank you so much for your Spirit filled words.

Lots of love,

Your brother in Christ Jesus.

• Prayers
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who is poor?

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, especially the loss of a loved one.

To Jesus, the more significant kind of being poor was to be separated from God, because when one has entrusted themselves to God's care, then God will take care of them—but that doesn't translate into the kind of money we think we need to be happy. Learning to trust God for our finances can be a difficult and painful road and most people won't do it. But those who experience the effects of a sinful world more than others may not have any choice and tend to be the ones who end up with that faith. The Lord grants us all we need to follow him, not to do what we please. Speaking of basic necessities, Jesus said,

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33, 1984 NIV)

David wrote:

The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously; those the LORD blesses will inherit the land, but those he curses will be cut off. If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed. Turn from evil and do good; then you will dwell in the land forever. For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever, but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off; the righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever. (Psalms 37:21-29, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good question. I dont know. i think we are all poor and in want, but we can learn to be content.

In the last three years of his life on earth Jesus had no money he relied on others charity. He had no home, couldnt afford a horse, couldnt afford to buy bread, or wine for that matter, he went without food for 40 days, I mean?! When it came time to pay his tax or tribute, he got it from a fish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
jesus was talking to the rich man...
In your case, are you thinking of going to Indonesia and helping the people there? I understand australians could give to those worse off..if they are worse off in a different country.

Maybe its relative in your own country though, since the currency is the same. When jesus talked about the rich man and lazarus, lazarus was kind of begging for crumbs at the rich mans table. They were close. But..in reality the gulf between rich and poor is wide. The rich are already rewarded in this life, but lazarus knew he would find his reward in eternity, while those that had and could afford to give, find themselves trormented with flames.

Upvote 0

little1

Apr 18, 2017
melbourne
✟9,926.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear IM SORRY
I don't know who is poor. That question is for the smart I guess

but I want to encourage you
I got PTSD and my husband is my carer. I live in Sydney
I was very shocked to read a part of your story and your wife/girlfriend passing away. hugs and I got no words

Sometimes when we have so much suffering and emotional unbearable tormenting pain unexplainable to anyone it makes us poor in spirit. Its a good thing IMSORRY its a good thing. it hurts so bad but our Father in Heaven IS SO CLOSE to the broke hearted. You are blessed! I am blessed. I'm not Christian patronizing you I'm serious.

The bible says somewhere (sory I realy not good at this but I'm trying to explain) that Blessed are the poor in spirit. something something blessed are those who morn for they will be comforted etc etc. theres is the kingdom of heaven.

you know why your PTSD and all the pain makes you poor in spirit?
because you are broke and you know your utter and hopeless need for God.

I noticed you mention the housing market in Australia. its is shocking. and yeah we can't own property and life is difficult. I do know that
I'm on welfare too.

but dude financial blessing and prosperity its very Old Testament almost Abrahamic and very overrated

When Jesus spoke of blessing mate, he's talking the broken, the hurting because you know what?
in heaven the 1st will be last and the last will be 1st.
Its all through the gospel. Jesus realy shoock it up and changed things. That's why the good religious people hated him, ay..

You know your need for Him. it seems so simple and it is.

Ill explain it in another way
look at Christianity even in Australia. Hillsong is a big beautiful successful church. They help lots of poor people and they run massive church equipping conferences. FACT
Because they have now become successful they have to be really careful to not do church with out God. They don't need God anymore. They have money, they famous etc. they could run it with out him. (I'm not saying they run it with out him) I'm saying when you don't struggle its easy to forget our need for God.
Because everyone needs Him they just don't relise it.

Your poor in spirit be encouraged that God says you are blessed because you onday will be rewarded. Oneday it will all make sence
oneday the wrong will be made right and on that day people will know

God wants us to be like little children. That's knowing our need for him.
People spend 20 years sitting in church trying to get that. And you have it because of your terrible circumstances and pain. It doesn't make it right it doesn't fix anything but you know you are broken and need him. You arnt full of pride you are just you and

I know pain is bad I know
I don't have all the answers but I hope that made some sence

love from a fellow aussie

Upvote 0