• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Who is Downsizing their Thanksgiving Celebration this Year?

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by Archivist, Nov 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM.

1. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,667
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    My family usually gets together for Thanksgiving--about 25 Aunts, Uncles, cousins, boyfriends and girlfriends--but not this year. We will each be staying home with just immediate family, all because of COVID.

Will others here be downsizing as well?

CDC Issues New Guidance on How to Celebrate Thanksgiving

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. mina

mina Brown Eyed girl

+3,620
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, Just my immediate family in my household. My husband and I have lost all our grandparents and each set of our parents have many many years left. We would like to keep it that way. So we will just Skype with family during the day and have our own meal. I actually am finding it relaxing and nice just to chill with my family. We aren't even going to have turkey! Holidays are what you make of them.

3. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+4,761
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    It will just be my sister and I. We were going to travel to my dad's (several states away), but he is currently being treated for cancer and it's not worth the risk.

4. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,426
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    We're doing the same thing we always do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,181
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    People should consider downsizing the turkey to fit household inhabitants only. Otherwise next year there may not be those aunts and uncles there to celebrate. I currently have an aunt who in spite of precautions has just contracted the virus and may not see Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas or anything else. Some however might prefer a chance to reduce that Christmas card list.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+748
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Governor has mandated only two families no more. No problem we usually are alone my wife and I. If the house were finished inside we might have invited someone this year but not possible, anyway as we are still getting over Covid. Long from supposedly being contagious according to CDC, that date for us was the 14 & 15th of Oct,, which was 10 days from symptoms appearing but we both still have coughs and I still have most of my taste and smell absent. CDC assures us that infectiousness is determined by the day symptoms started or for asymptomatic cases from the date of a positive test (if they are even informed that they have been exposed); in both cases, for10 days afterwards (and the two days of coming down with it.)

My wonderful wife went and got the fixins from Meijer today. Ummmmm can't wait!!! Once a year specials. Just GREAT!!! Should be hopefully, about when I get my full taste and smell back. It has been coming back slowly in the last week.

Thank you Pilgrims!!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    • Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,706
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, we usually have a large family gathering (about 20 people), but this year zoom meeting.:(

8. timothyu

+4,181
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It's a shame you may miss the smells and tastes but the sight should be rewarding.

9. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+2,341
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I've been by my lonesome for the last few years, this year I will have a small belated Thanksgiving on Saturday with a friend who lives upstairs in my apartment building and a few of his his friends and their spouses and girl friends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,726
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Prayers for your Auntie that she will be healed of Covid19 and for your family also.:prayer:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,726
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I pray you and your wife will make a complete recovery from Covid19 enjoy your meal with much thanksgiving to God.
    It may very well be the best tasting meal you've had!!:)

12. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,706
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    This reminds me when we used to do "Orphan Thanksgivings", where we invited people that didn't have families or anyone near by. These were always the best Thanksgivings. Large family Thanksgivings are great, but somehow the smaller group of unrelated people getting together and celebrating felt very meaningful and in the true "spirit" of Thanksgiving. I actually enjoyed these the most. Maybe because you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. timothyu

+4,181
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    And outsiders are usually on their best/better behaviour, unlike family. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+748
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, like I said I AM tasting a little bit now. CDC says that it takes 6-8 weeks for those to return usually and for me that appears right on. My wife was early.

15. MoreLikeNellie

MoreLikeNellie New Member

+4
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I stopped making the traditional turkey and stuffing a few years ago. We just don't like it very much. So Thanksgiving is a day when we make some of our favorite foods instead - which means two breakfasts and a cheesecake. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  16. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+3,092
    Catholic
    Married
    Me.

17. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,489
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    I will, but it is not because of a virus, age and death has taken our family's size down over the years.

18. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+2,324
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Nope. I don't have a big gathering anyway, but I have no plans to avoid anyone or "social distance" or any of that.

19. timothyu

+4,181
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    As God would say, 'It's not about you'. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+2,324
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    And yet, I will still do this :)