Who is Downsizing their Thanksgiving Celebration this Year?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My family usually gets together for Thanksgiving--about 25 Aunts, Uncles, cousins, boyfriends and girlfriends--but not this year. We will each be staying home with just immediate family, all because of COVID.

Will others here be downsizing as well?

CDC Issues New Guidance on How to Celebrate Thanksgiving

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Just my immediate family in my household. My husband and I have lost all our grandparents and each set of our parents have many many years left. We would like to keep it that way. So we will just Skype with family during the day and have our own meal. I actually am finding it relaxing and nice just to chill with my family. We aren't even going to have turkey! Holidays are what you make of them.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
People should consider downsizing the turkey to fit household inhabitants only. Otherwise next year there may not be those aunts and uncles there to celebrate. I currently have an aunt who in spite of precautions has just contracted the virus and may not see Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas or anything else. Some however might prefer a chance to reduce that Christmas card list.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Governor has mandated only two families no more. No problem we usually are alone my wife and I. If the house were finished inside we might have invited someone this year but not possible, anyway as we are still getting over Covid. Long from supposedly being contagious according to CDC, that date for us was the 14 & 15th of Oct,, which was 10 days from symptoms appearing but we both still have coughs and I still have most of my taste and smell absent. CDC assures us that infectiousness is determined by the day symptoms started or for asymptomatic cases from the date of a positive test (if they are even informed that they have been exposed); in both cases, for10 days afterwards (and the two days of coming down with it.)

My wonderful wife went and got the fixins from Meijer today. Ummmmm can't wait!!! Once a year specials. Just GREAT!!! Should be hopefully, about when I get my full taste and smell back. It has been coming back slowly in the last week.

Thank you Pilgrims!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My wonderful wife went and got the fixins from Meijer today. Ummmmm can't wait!!! Once a year specials. Just GREAT!!!
It's a shame you may miss the smells and tastes but the sight should be rewarding.

Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My family usually gets together for Thanksgiving--about 25 Aunts, Uncles, cousins, boyfriends and girlfriends--but not this year. We will each be staying home with just immediate family, all because of COVID.

I've been by my lonesome for the last few years, this year I will have a small belated Thanksgiving on Saturday with a friend who lives upstairs in my apartment building and a few of his his friends and their spouses and girl friends.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People should consider downsizing the turkey to fit household inhabitants only. Otherwise next year there may not be those aunts and uncles there to celebrate. I currently have an aunt who in spite of precautions has just contracted the virus and may not see Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas or anything else. Some however might prefer a chance to reduce that Christmas card list.

Prayers for your Auntie that she will be healed of Covid19 and for your family also.:prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Governor has mandated only two families no more. No problem we usually are alone my wife and I. If the house were finished inside we might have invited someone this year but not possible, anyway as we are still getting over Covid. Long from supposedly being contagious according to CDC, that date for us was the 14 & 15th of Oct,, which was 10 days from symptoms appearing but we both still have coughs and I still have most of my taste and smell absent. CDC assures us that infectiousness is determined by the day symptoms started or for asymptomatic cases from the date of a positive test (if they are even informed that they have been exposed); in both cases, for10 days afterwards (and the two days of coming down with it.)

My wonderful wife went and got the fixins from Meijer today. Ummmmm can't wait!!! Once a year specials. Just GREAT!!! Should be hopefully, about when I get my full taste and smell back. It has been coming back slowly in the last week.

Thank you Pilgrims!!!

I pray you and your wife will make a complete recovery from Covid19 enjoy your meal with much thanksgiving to God.
It may very well be the best tasting meal you've had!!:)

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been by my lonesome for the last few years, this year I will have a small belated Thanksgiving on Saturday with a friend who lives upstairs in my apartment building and a few of his his friends and their spouses and girl friends.

This reminds me when we used to do "Orphan Thanksgivings", where we invited people that didn't have families or anyone near by. These were always the best Thanksgivings. Large family Thanksgivings are great, but somehow the smaller group of unrelated people getting together and celebrating felt very meaningful and in the true "spirit" of Thanksgiving. I actually enjoyed these the most. Maybe because you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. ;)

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a shame you may miss the smells and tastes but the sight should be rewarding.
Well, like I said I AM tasting a little bit now. CDC says that it takes 6-8 weeks for those to return usually and for me that appears right on. My wife was early.

Upvote 0

MoreLikeNellie

Nov 13, 2020
Northeast
✟16,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We aren't even going to have turkey! Holidays are what you make of them.

I stopped making the traditional turkey and stuffing a few years ago. We just don't like it very much. So Thanksgiving is a day when we make some of our favorite foods instead - which means two breakfasts and a cheesecake. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Nope. I don't have a big gathering anyway, but I have no plans to avoid anyone or "social distance" or any of that.

Upvote 0