who is blessed, Mary or "those who hear the word of God and obey it"?

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 11:27
"As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, 'Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.'"

there are those who continue in this sentiment to this day but Jesus's reply follows in v28

"[Jesus] replied, 'Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.'"

Mary is blessed indeed and this passage seems such a digressed moment and random, why is this in the text, what is its purpose? But history shows missing the mark on this topic so prospectively this passage no longer seems out of place and corrects our focus. Whenever I hear the epithet "Blessed..." Christ's words echo back "blessed rather..."

So who is blessed? Mary may indeed be blessed but we've already missed the point if that's our focus, "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Luke 11:27
"As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, 'Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.'"

there are those who continue in this sentiment to this day but Jesus's reply follows in v28

"[Jesus] replied, 'Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.'"

Mary is blessed indeed and this passage seems such a digressed moment and random, why is this in the text, what is its purpose? But history shows missing the mark on this topic so prospectively this passage no longer seems out of place and corrects our focus. Whenever I hear the epithet "Blessed..." Christ's words echo back "blessed rather..."

So who is blessed? Mary may indeed be blessed but we've already missed the point if that's our focus, "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Is that to say that Mary did not hear the word of God and believe it? But she did hear the word of God and believe it. Besides, she uttered one of the easiest to prove prophecies found in the bible:

Luk 1:48 - ...for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
no, it is to say "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."
Mary heard the word from the archangel Gabriel and she consented to it. She is blessed. Not merely for being the biological mother of Jesus but for hearing the word of God and obeying it.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not merely for being the biological mother of Jesus but for hearing the word of God and obeying it.
She was blessed for hearing the word of God and obeying, just the same as anyone else who hears the word of God and obeys.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
She was blessed for hearing the word of God and obeying, just the same as anyone else who hears the word of God and obeys.
She was blessed, but then again, not all generations will be calling you or me blessed.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mary heard the word from the archangel Gabriel and she consented to it. She is blessed. Not merely for being the biological mother of Jesus but for hearing the word of God and obeying it.

I am not denying this, my point is Christ says "blessed rather..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ says "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." this is, of course, inclusive of Mary but it is a shift of focus.

Yes, Damian, but *why* is she blessed?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not denying this, my point is Christs says "blessed rather..."
But exactly. Mary is blessed for already having done what Jesus recommends to the people listening to her.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All of them are blessed. It's the thinking behind the woman's comment, not the issue itself, that Jesus was answering.

He uses this sort of turn of phrase all the time, it seems, but people reading it today go right to the conclusion that everything he states has to be purely black and white, either-or, literal.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..."blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Mary was one of those who heard the word and obeyed. That is the reason Mary was blessed, not because he delivered a baby. I think Jesus was correcting that the woman thought that it is the pregnancy thing that got Mary blessed.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am not denying this, my point is Christs says "blessed rather..."
Yes, good.
Others have in the past noted that it was 'almost' as if Jesus disregarded His Own mother, but that is a mute point - He was "rather" warning/ showing/ exemplifying NOT to consider things as if in the flesh, from men's point of view, which is wrong viewpoint,
"rather" from the Heavenly Creator's point of view, which is truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mary was one of those who heard the word and obeyed. That is the reason Mary was blessed, not because he delivered a baby. I think Jesus was correcting that the woman thought that it is the pregnancy thing that got Mary blessed.
That's a really good explanation. Fits with Gabriel's words at the Annunciation, Mary's response, and Elizabeth's words, too.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, Damian, but *why* is she blessed?
the easiest answer is because scripture calls her blessed but the reasons why she is blessed are not the point. The focused is on Christ's reply saying "blessed rather..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
that's an interesting point for Mary but "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." it's about a shift of focus not about a rejection.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All of them are blessed. It's the thinking behind the woman's comment, not the issue itself, that Jesus was answering.

He uses this sort of turn of phrase all the time, it seems, but people reading it today go right to the conclusion that everything he states has to be purely black and white, either-or, literal.

and this thinking continues today where a blessing upon Mary is a focus. This blessing is not incorrect but Christ uses these moments to build us not glorify us so that turn of phrase shifts the focus to "blessed rather..."

Upvote 0