• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Who is behind this so called "Schizophrenia" ?

JesusForAll

Apr 15, 2017
Mid-West
✟10,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm seeing a lot of postings of people struggling with mental problems including schizophrenia. I do not have a mental illness but know people who do. My take on the issue is a sort of question of why what I see now doesn't align with scripture. When I read scripture I see a different Christian life than than the current one I'm around in person now.

When we are in Christ we have been made new through Christ, a new man. We are to then live by the Spirit who now resides in us. He makes us a new creation, He makes us righteous, He makes us perfect, and He heals us. When I got saved it was and still is the one thing I think about every day which is God, Jesus, I just can't help it.

Sometimes we don't always listen and follow the Spirit but instead are lead away by the "old" us, the old man that was crucified on the cross with Christ. That old nature is still present in the flesh, with the lusts and pleasures of the world. It's the carnality, the carnal mind that can never be brought into the alignment with God because it will always war against God. I fall into that pit trap still but am always convicted in my heart when I do, it's my free will to stop and turn back to God or not.

It's clear in scripture that we can submit to either the Spirit or flesh. So what I'm getting at is that it seems Christ went around casting out demons from people that seemed to have what would now be considered mental illnesses or healing them of their illnesses, He was living by the Spirit. So why do we as Christians accept those things in our life when it just doesn't seem to align with what Christ did for us? I'm not saying people won't be sick if they're Christian but it just seems that there is a big clear answer for this stuff in Christ so why do people submit themselves to accepting that the mental illness IS who they are, giving way to it, identifying with it?

Christians can cast out demons?, can heal?, can edifying other believers?, lift up the broken? Obviously it's Christ through us that does, because I'm nothing without Him. I see believers with mental illnesses as being broken, not physically but mentally or emotionally broken. I'm not belittling anyone I love you all and am frustrated by these things. Is it some traumatic event in their life that caused this; mental/emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse? Are these things that where done to us done in the flesh? Are theses things that can be broken off those who now suffer the effects?

I believe that these mental illnesses are demonic attacks just like any other evil or bad thing that happens to us and that they can be defeated through Christ. We who are in Christ are His church and are to do His will on Earth, to live by the Spirit. I believe prayer is a huge weapon against these things but that we as Christians are to abide in Him to live by faith for Him so that the battles we wage against wickedness through Christ is effective and that we're not rocked by the waves of the enemy. Our battles are spiritual and not fleshly. The flesh is where the devil works to seduce us and is sign of what is happening in the spiritual.

I've personally seen the power of prayer manifest in the flesh. People have actually told me that "something" changed in them after praying for them or over them, they've felt comfort and a joy and peace where before they had fear, anxiety, or anger. Even to encourage or edifying someone is to bless that person rather than tearing down or accusing. Think of yourself in a time of need where all you needed is someone to pour into you and give hope. Prayer is great and powerful for us Christians, we can use it to its full advantages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I finished reading that book there werent many answers but the mother was christian and the daughter too but I dont think they knew much about spiritual warfare or deliverance. They got practical help..theres a schiszophrenia fellowship organsiation in the Uk that does have assited or supported living but I dont think she got any spiritual help...the mother spent most of her time writing poetry for some strange reason. Well yes it can make you reflective but thats not helping her daughter. Her daughter had a child and then couldnt look after her as she was so self absorbed, and her husband...? I dont know if he was achizophrenic as well...it was all very strange. They kept abandoning their daughter and going off to Russia and hanging out with staretz or hermits and holy men who claimed schizophrenis awas the blessing of suffering. Im like what?!

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm seeing a lot of postings of people struggling with mental problems including schizophrenia. I do not have a mental illness but know people who do. My take on the issue is a sort of question of why what I see now doesn't align with scripture. When I read scripture I see a different Christian life than than the current one I'm around in person now.

When we are in Christ we have been made new through Christ, a new man. We are to then live by the Spirit who now resides in us. He makes us a new creation, He makes us righteous, He makes us perfect, and He heals us. When I got saved it was and still is the one thing I think about every day which is God, Jesus, I just can't help it.

Sometimes we don't always listen and follow the Spirit but instead are lead away by the "old" us, the old man that was crucified on the cross with Christ. That old nature is still present in the flesh, with the lusts and pleasures of the world. It's the carnality, the carnal mind that can never be brought into the alignment with God because it will always war against God. I fall into that pit trap still but am always convicted in my heart when I do, it's my free will to stop and turn back to God or not.

It's clear in scripture that we can submit to either the Spirit or flesh. So what I'm getting at is that it seems Christ went around casting out demons from people that seemed to have what would now be considered mental illnesses or healing them of their illnesses, He was living by the Spirit. So why do we as Christians accept those things in our life when it just doesn't seem to align with what Christ did for us? I'm not saying people won't be sick if they're Christian but it just seems that there is a big clear answer for this stuff in Christ so why do people submit themselves to accepting that the mental illness IS who they are, giving way to it, identifying with it?

Christians can cast out demons?, can heal?, can edifying other believers?, lift up the broken? Obviously it's Christ through us that does, because I'm nothing without Him. I see believers with mental illnesses as being broken, not physically but mentally or emotionally broken. I'm not belittling anyone I love you all and am frustrated by these things. Is it some traumatic event in their life that caused this; mental/emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse? Are these things that where done to us done in the flesh? Are theses things that can be broken off those who now suffer the effects?

I believe that these mental illnesses are demonic attacks just like any other evil or bad thing that happens to us and that they can be defeated through Christ. We who are in Christ are His church and are to do His will on Earth, to live by the Spirit. I believe prayer is a huge weapon against these things but that we as Christians are to abide in Him to live by faith for Him so that the battles we wage against wickedness through Christ is effective and that we're not rocked by the waves of the enemy. Our battles are spiritual and not fleshly. The flesh is where the devil works to seduce us and is sign of what is happening in the spiritual.

I've personally seen the power of prayer manifest in the flesh. People have actually told me that "something" changed in them after praying for them or over them, they've felt comfort and a joy and peace where before they had fear, anxiety, or anger. Even to encourage or edifying someone is to bless that person rather than tearing down or accusing. Think of yourself in a time of need where all you needed is someone to pour into you and give hope. Prayer is great and powerful for us Christians, we can use it to its full advantages.

What I don't like about this post is it ignores the fact that mental illness is as real of an illness as any physical illness like diabetes or high blood pressure. If you tell someone with high blood pressure to stop their medication and battle their illness spiritually I don't know what you are going to tell them after they have a stroke. Mental illness like physical conditions is an illness in the brain. Whether or not there is a spiritual component is not going to change the fact that a person with a mental illness has an actual illness that needs actual treatment. Prayer is important in the same way that is important for the diabetic, but its not a substitute for actual treatment.

Upvote 0

justwokeup

Apr 19, 2017
Helsinki
✟8,598.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Interesting vision. I myself am promoting the case of "mental patients". I think we have a treasure in the earthenware (?) there. Namely, some of them have been victims of real violence but people don't want to believe it, maybe because the outcome of the violence would be visibly too severe and painful, impossible to share.
Why was I talking about treasure? Their existence is an opportunity to the others. By healing them if we can, we heal little by little the world.
Next article I don' t recommend to the frail.
www.wheepinghuman.net
I just wanted to say, that no agreements matter. No- one has the right to break or destroy another's foundation of
living.

Upvote 0

JesusForAll

Apr 15, 2017
Mid-West
✟10,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I don't like about this post is it ignores the fact that mental illness is as real of an illness as any physical illness like diabetes or high blood pressure. If you tell someone with high blood pressure to stop their medication and battle their illness spiritually I don't know what you are going to tell them after they have a stroke. Mental illness like physical conditions is an illness in the brain. Whether or not there is a spiritual component is not going to change the fact that a person with a mental illness has an actual illness that needs actual treatment. Prayer is important in the same way that is important for the diabetic, but its not a substitute for actual treatment.
The post I wrote is not ignoring the illness. My intent on writing it was to bring light to the spiritual aspect of illnesses rather than the earthly/flesh aspect we all see. Don't be intimidated by mental illnesses, they are just as beatable as physical illnesses. Whether we use drugs to treat them or counseling to treat them; prayer IS the answer, Jesus is the cure. There is no ifs, ands or buts to be inserted. Medication can be just as harmful as the illness itself. Counseling is only as effective as the person administering it, and where are they coming from when counseling? A carnal aspect or a Godly one? Christ has set me free from things in my life and I know He has for other brothers in Christ I know. Our fight is spiritual not flesh (Ephesians 6).

People are healed physically by Christ everyday and people are set free from demons, Mark 16 plainly establishes this. I've seen and experienced this myself. What is more important than the gifts though is our fruits, how we live, sanctification through Christ to keep us healthy (sozo). For those who are not in Christ they are living in death, they are already dead. Jesus died for them too, just like everyone else who is in Christ now. They too can have life and saving health, though just because we're a Christian doesn't mean we don't get sick.

We who are believers should know our relationship with God has been restored. We are children of God, we are made righteous, we are heirs of God and co-heirs with Jesus (Romans 8). Believe it and what you ask in His name will be given (John 14). Ask for health and healing and it will be given, ask for patience and it will be given, ask for forgiveness and it will be given, ask for wisdom and it will be given, etc.

If you disagree about there being a very real spiritual aspect, then I don't think we are on the same page with each other.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The post I wrote is not ignoring the illness. My intent on writing it was to bring light to the spiritual aspect of illnesses rather than the earthly/flesh aspect we all see. Don't be intimidated by mental illnesses, they are just as beatable as physical illnesses. Whether we use drugs to treat them or counseling to treat them; prayer IS the answer, Jesus is the cure. There is no ifs, ands or buts to be inserted. Medication can be just as harmful as the illness itself. Counseling is only as effective as the person administering it, and where are they coming from when counseling? A carnal aspect or a Godly one? Christ has set me free from things in my life and I know He has for other brothers in Christ I know. Our fight is spiritual not flesh (Ephesians 6).

People are healed physically by Christ everyday and people are set free from demons, Mark 16 plainly establishes this. I've seen and experienced this myself. What is more important than the gifts though is our fruits, how we live, sanctification through Christ to keep us healthy (sozo). For those who are not in Christ they are living in death, they are already dead. Jesus died for them too, just like everyone else who is in Christ now. They too can have life and saving health, though just because we're a Christian doesn't mean we don't get sick.

We who are believers should know our relationship with God has been restored. We are children of God, we are made righteous, we are heirs of God and co-heirs with Jesus (Romans 8). Believe it and what you ask in His name will be given (John 14). Ask for health and healing and it will be given, ask for patience and it will be given, ask for forgiveness and it will be given, ask for wisdom and it will be given, etc.

If you disagree about there being a very real spiritual aspect, then I don't think we are on the same page with each other.

The problem is you are turning a neurobiochemical physical problem into a spiritual problem. If someone has a spiritual problem and a physical brain illness like schizophrenia, both need to be addressed. But you can't just treat the spiritual and ignore the neurobiochemical problem that exists. It would be like someone with high blood pressure who also has a spiritual problem, and to tell them to pray their blood pressure into a normal range, and once they stroke out, what would you tell that person then? Like wise if someone has schizophrenia and the current rate of successful suicide as far as I know is in the 5-10% range, if they successfully commit suicide because they did not receive treatment for the physical aspect of their illness, what are you going to say then?

Upvote 0

JesusForAll

Apr 15, 2017
Mid-West
✟10,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is you are turning a neurobiochemical physical problem into a spiritual problem. If someone has a spiritual problem and a physical brain illness like schizophrenia, both need to be addressed. But you can't just treat the spiritual and ignore the neurobiochemical problem that exists. It would be like someone with high blood pressure who also has a spiritual problem, and to tell them to pray their blood pressure into a normal range, and once they stroke out, what would you tell that person then? Like wise if someone has schizophrenia and the current rate of successful suicide as far as I know is in the 5-10% range, if they successfully commit suicide because they did not receive treatment for the physical aspect of their illness, what are you going to say then?
Sorry, we're just not on the same page as each other.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I received a message from God that we should be truthful and sinless, yet this is very difficult to do. So to do so, he suggested that we must be deceitful and sinful when within the small petite confessional booth, but be truthful and sinless while outside of the booth. Meanwhile, the catholic religion seems to expect the opposite ???

On top of that, the words are often spoken, "Bless me father for I have sinned", yet the exact opposite of this is "Condemn me father for I have not sinned". So this seems very confusing !

Also, the catholic priests dress in 99% black, which represents evil, and have a white collar which represents only 1 % innocence.

Everything seems to be backwards. Can you explain why this is ?

And then came a message concerning those who suffer from schizophrenia. It said that they are honest and thruthful and that pure evil was trying to make them seem to be mentally delusional such that their words of truth are to be ignored.

There is no "who" behind schizophrenia. Just differences in brain chemistry and neurological pathways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Plenty of people have tried prayer to heal, have tried "faith healing", etc., earnestly believing it, and it didn't work. This is especially tragic when it's something that could have easily be cured by modern medicine.

Reactions: redblue22
Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I received a message from God that we should be truthful and sinless, yet this is very difficult to do. So to do so, he suggested that we must be deceitful and sinful when within the small petite confessional booth, but be truthful and sinless while outside of the booth. Meanwhile, the catholic religion seems to expect the opposite ???

On top of that, the words are often spoken, "Bless me father for I have sinned", yet the exact opposite of this is "Condemn me father for I have not sinned". So this seems very confusing !

Also, the catholic priests dress in 99% black, which represents evil, and have a white collar which represents only 1 % innocence.

Everything seems to be backwards. Can you explain why this is ?

And then came a message concerning those who suffer from schizophrenia. It said that they are honest and thruthful and that pure evil was trying to make them seem to be mentally delusional such that their words of truth are to be ignored.
That's just how my foster parents think. "Oh it's just mental illness"

Actually of all the mentally ill people I have met, a lot of them are selfish. But you must see though such things and get to the heart. You see many are like that because the schizophrenia can absorb them into their own little mental universe. The one they have to create to protect themselves from the hollow mental universe that this world forces onto them.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see . . .

Mental illness apparently is the devil. The experience is evil and shows demon possession. The mentally ill need to have demons removed, but people don't go to receive the healing. Schizo's don't pray, have faith, don't read their bibles. Mentally ill are not spiritual and they are not living by the Spirit. The sick just don't trust Jesus. One of the mentally ill's evil is being selfish. The mentally ill are rebellious and rejecting.

You're darn right we're not on the same page.

Would you say these things if we were talking about not having legs?

I don't know what to do with people who say these things. Any ideas? I think people who say such things are really the best examples of what they accuse. Pure evil. They enjoy harming those who cannot defend themselves. They enjoy seeing other people hurt--while at the same time prideful that they did the right things to not be sick themselves.

How are the hurting to defend themselves against such people?

I think it is best to avoid these people. Don't give them any information--especially if they have some power over you. But if you can, you could fight for those who are not able fight for themselves.

Though these people abuse the innocent and misrepresent our God Jesus, I think we should find it inside to forgive and pray for them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let's see . . .

Mental illness apparently is the devil. The experience is evil and shows demon possession. The mentally ill need to have demons removed, but people don't go to receive the healing. Schizo's don't pray, have faith, don't read their bibles. Mentally ill are not spiritual and they are not living by the Spirit. The sick just don't trust Jesus. One of the mentally ill's evil is being selfish. The mentally ill are rebellious and rejecting.

You're darn right we're not on the same page.

Would you say these things if we were talking about not having legs?

I don't know what to do with people who say these things. Any ideas? I think people who say such things are really the best examples of what they accuse. Pure evil. They enjoy harming those who cannot defend themselves. They enjoy seeing other people hurt--while at the same time prideful that they did the right things to not be sick themselves.

How are the hurting to defend themselves against such people?

I think it is best to avoid these people. Don't give them any information--especially if they have some power over you. But if you can, you could fight for those who are not able fight for themselves.

Though these people abuse the innocent and misrepresent our God Jesus, I think we should find it inside to forgive and pray for them.
What an ignorant thing to say about people with mental illness. Those are broad sweeping statements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What an ignorant thing to say about people with mental illness. Those are broad sweeping statements.
I think you're misreading his post.

Basically, he's saying that folks who say the things he stated in the first paragraph are very, very wrong and evil themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: redblue22
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're misreading his post.

Basically, he's saying that folks who say the things he stated in the first paragraph are very, very wrong and evil themselves.
Oh, I'm sorry. I know somebody with schizophrenia and a few people with what could be termed as "mental disorders" like depression, anxiety or bi-polar. I hate to see all mental disorders grouped together and labelled. I'll read it again.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do all the friends with mental illness say? What is it like for them?
I've know two schizophrenics and they were strange in behavior and some conversations but never violent or aggressive. I think half the word is on some kind of depression or anxiety drug. Big Pharma.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Usually schizophrenics are the victims of violence and crime, not the other way around.

I don't really have a problem with big pharma. When you need a drug, it is big pharma that offers programs to the poor.

Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0