who is Aljazeera?

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Don't Leave Us Now
I find it interesting that this muslim news group picks up anti muslim causes against things like the Taliban or Isis which are pure expressions of genuine Islam in practice.
Is Aljazeera promoting soft Islamic theology only or are they embracing multicultural religious acceptance as long as it is not radical extremist in practice, in other words just another feel good worldly minded news organization that promotes the Coexist philosophy.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Don't Leave Us Now
I find it interesting that this muslim news group picks up anti muslim causes against things like the Taliban or Isis which are pure expressions of genuine Islam in practice.
Is Aljazeera promoting soft Islamic theology only or are they embracing multicultural religious acceptance as long as it is not radical extremist in practice, in other words just another feel good worldly minded news organization that promotes the Coexist philosophy.
Maybe your view of islam is too narrow.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't Leave Us Now
Islam influenced by Post-modernism.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't Leave Us Now

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
You honestly think an Abrahamic religion established in the 7th century was influenced by a 19-20th century critique of meta narratives as a backlash against modernism? I'm at the very least credulous.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You honestly think an Abrahamic religion established in the 7th century was influenced by a 19-20th century critique of meta narratives as a backlash against modernism? I'm at the very least credulous.
Well, we have Reform Judaism and current Mainline Protestant Christian groups so I think I can say that it is possible.

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
Well, we have Reform Judaism and current Mainline Protestant Christian groups so I think I can say that it is possible.
Islam has fostered a great many ideas from mathematic to the economic... a rejection of modernist metanarritive I doubt is among them. If anything, seeing it is an Abrahamic religion, it pushes a single metanarritive and asserts its inevitability.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Islam has fostered a great many ideas from mathematic to the economic... a rejection of modernist metanarritive I doubt is among them. If anything, seeing it is an Abrahamic religion, it pushes a single metanarritive and asserts its inevitability.
I didn't understand what you said

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Two things:

1. Of course Al Jazeera is going to champion Muslim causes or spotlight the conditions in Muslim-majority countries. They are a state-funded broadcaster from Qatar, a nation with Islam as its official religion. They are therefore not going to present Islam in anything but a blindingly positive light. It is their religion. It is not a secular news organization from a secular country.

2. Be that as it may, since Qatar is a multi-religious society thanks to immigration (like most Gulf countries; Christians make up about 14% of Qatari society, though believers from a Muslim background are maybe only a few hundred at most), they do still air programs or news items on Christianity in the region. They should not be confused for a state like Saudi Arabia where even the mention of Christianity is verboten if it isn't to tear it apart.

Here is a short news item from Al Jazeera on the fate of the Syriac Orthodox Christians in Jerusalem:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As it richly deserves for its treatment of minorities, but that is another topic. The point is that the channel, while being a news outlet of an officially Muslim government, is not bereft of coverage of other religions, nor exactly peddling a 'coexist' message (if they were, you'd think they wouldn't have presented that news item that way).

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's not quite true.

That region did develop mathematics and other disciplines. However, when Islam and Sharia Law fully permeated that area, science, math and other technological advances, all but came to a full stop over time. If they foster such endeavors, as you imply, they should be ln the tops of Nobel Laureates list. They're not.

If you don't think that the philosophy of Islam and Sharia Law played a major role in this, then what else could it be? I'd really like to know.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't Leave Us Now

I'd like to hear more about why you'd describe a state run (or indeed any) news agency as a "who" rather than a "what". Like, who is fox news? Could you elaborate further on your choice of pronoun?

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
I didn't understand what you said
Okay, so postmodernism is a reaction to modernity, right? So the postindustrial cultural results of romantacism. The ideas that came from modernity features themes of cultural fragmentation, social evils and narrative authority. This lead to many consistent ideas of contomporary nationalism and historicism today. People who lead the bedrock of these ideas are people like Hume, Locke, Marx, Comte and Freud.

Postmodernists either critique or reject modernity. Ideas such as historical innevitability due to one consistent metanarrative of a given material dialectic are picked apart by postmodernists, this is why postmodernism is known for its fluid theory of truth.

I don't see Islam fostering this. It has a metanarrative - there is no god but God and Mohammed is his prophet. It has its material dialectic - the scripture as well as the Qur'an, Hadit and Sunnah. It has historical innevitability - prophecy. It cannot function from a postmodernist view point because old world religions don't even have basis in modernity, they're more fundimental than those.

That's not quite true.

That region did develop mathematics and other disciplines. However, when Islam and Sharia Law fully permeated that area, science, math and other technological advances, all but came to a full stop over time. If they foster such endeavors, as you imply, they should be ln the tops of Nobel Laureates list. They're not.

If you don't think that the philosophy of Islam and Sharia Law played a major role in this, then what else could it be? I'd really like to know.
So the answer is neither. Different cultures foster different advancements due to their material conditions allowing them so. So for when Islamicate societies were at their zenith, this was during the rule of the Abbasids who benefitted off the back of the expanse of the Umayads which gave not only access to the past Greek, Persian and Arab literature but also from India and China in the East with Western Rome from the West. The Middle East is also primely positioned for wealth, them benefitting from the Silk Road and the Indian Ocean Trade. The wealth from the Swahili Coast and the Mali Empire to the Majapahit Archepelego or the Song Dynasty - all of their mighty wealth flowed through their hands. They had the resources and the material to sustain advancement so fast that such speed wouldn't be seen until industrialisation.

They lost this mostly after the the short lived Mongol Empire fell apart into the Chagatai Khanate, the Golden Horde, the Yuan Dynasty and the Ilkhanate, because political instability doesn't foster the same advancement. I mean they still advnaced, the descendants of these Turko-Mongol empires would be known as the Gun Powder states - the Ottomons, the Murgals and the Safavids, but this slowed. Actually, this is considered one of the driving forces of European colonialism as now cut off from the east by these Gunpowder States, the English, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch would seek a means back into the Indian Ocean trade.

So why is it now that Nobel Laureates now come from North America and Western Europe primarily? Because they have the material and the resource to do so. Now you'll be wondering how little I described the Islamic scriptural basis that fostered that development because it doesn't matter. I'm not inherently an adopted father but were the materials and resources in place, such as me adopting an orphan, I would literally be fostering that child. Likewise, Islam did foster advancement because it had the material and resources to do so. Right now, liberalism is fostering advancement and most could probably tell, I'm not a liberal. However, it's oviously fostering advancement because it has the material and resources as it is the primary ideology of the developed world.

BTW, a lot of the contributions to literuature in physics from the Islamic world has been Persian. Why? Because Iran has been investing greatly in physicists as it has a material reason to develop geopolitical power by developing its technology in areas such as thermonuclear physics (to the surprise of no one). It's not because it's an Shia republic, it's not despite being a Shia republic, it just is a Shia republic developing in the field of physics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That's not quite true.

That region did develop mathematics and other disciplines. However, when Islam and Sharia Law fully permeated that area, science, math and other technological advances, all but came to a full stop over time.

Islam fully permeated the region by the end of the 7th century. The 'Golden Age' of Islam is in the ensuing centuries.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'd like to hear more about why you'd describe a state run (or indeed any) news agency as a "who" rather than a "what".

Maybe it's short for Albert Jazeera.

• Haha
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0