I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
Locket said:
but c'mon its not that bad!
You're probably used to Florida, perhaps you have lived here all your life. But people newly arriving see things in a different way. My sister and brother came down from Wisconsin during August and were so uncomfortable they left the next day. But the weather that day didn't bother me at all.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I used to live in Lakeland Fl--was there two years. The water tastes nasty in Florida! I could taste it in everything--in fountain sodas at restaurants, etc. Yuck! And where I was at, there wasn't any really good restaurants. Also, a lot of people in Florida seem to have 'worn' and weary faces as if they've lived hard lives. There's a certain look about native Floridians, in their faces. I don't know how to explain it. What's funny is that one time I came home from Florida for a visit and was in the mall looking at the mall map when I struck up a conversation with a woman. All at once, something about her face made me think she was from Florida. Sure enough, after asking her where she was from, she was from Florida! She had that certain native Floridian look to her. I don't hate Florida, but lets just say, I'm glad I don't live there anymore! The good thing about Florida, though, was fresh fruits and vegetables all year around!

Upvote 0

Terie

Nov 21, 2004
✟197.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
wellllllllllllllllllllllll hate is such a strong word. I don't live there but I've been there a few times and I do not like it at all. It's way too hot and humid even in the winter. I will take my kids there for 1 more vacation but I won't be staying long. LoL Give me snow, snow, snow and sub 0 temps any day in the winter. =)

Upvote 0

Southern Cross

Conservative Republican Hippy People Shooter
Oct 29, 2004
Sunny Central Florida, USA (woo hoo!)
✟17,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HOW COULD ANYONE HATE FLORIDA? I moved here 8 years ago, and I love it! Went to college here for a while before that. I'm in Central Florida, a place called Deltona, but soon I'll be in Altamonte Springs. We do have our problems. Like sinkholes mysteriously swallowing roads and houses. Bugs the size of a small cat hitting your windshield. Birds that poop large quantities of fish parts onto your car like it was a hobby. Things that jump out of the water and eat pets... and sometimes people. And then we eat them in return and of course it tastes like chicken. Freakish storms. And it's really strange to see the vagabonds migrate up and down 95 every year. But seriously, it's a good place to live for at least 9 months out of the year! Yeah - it gets wicked hot. Scorching, really. But those are the days you just stay in the A/C. I love to spend time at the beach and fishing with my little kids and camping near St. Augustine.

I used to live in NJ and CT. The people down here are so much friendlier, even though more and more people are moving down from NY, NJ and CT. The only way I'd ever move back up North is if I went to snow country. Maine, VT, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Colorado. I love snow and skiing. OK, maybe I'd move to another state as long as I could garden for three seasons out of the year because I'd surely need something to distract me.

I don't think I'll be moving soon. My photography business is growing, and I'm living my little dream, thank you very much. I get to meet people all over Florida as I do my work. Every time I shoot a wedding, engagement session, senior high schooler portfolio, or a model portfolio I remind myself that I wouldn't be able to do this year round if I lived up North! My clients would freeze and their lips would be blue, and I no amount of retouching would cure the "morgue" look. I'd be in a bad mood if I didn't see the sun for a few days.

On my days off I head to St. Augustine, S. FL., Tampa/Clearwater, or into Orlando to enjoy something new. And I don't have to worry about ice on the roads or white outs or shoveling my car out. Or getting my tongue stuck to stop signs.

AND WE HAVE NO STATE INCOME TAX! Woo Hoo!

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
mycatspice said:
What's wrong w/Florida??? :confused:
I grew up in Wisconsin. Compared to up North, Florida is hot, hot, hot. And humid, sticky to the max.

Wisconsin has spiders the size of a fingernail, and they stay in the basement. Florida has tarantulas the size of my hand, and the banana spiders spin webs three feet wide in my front yard.

In all my years in Wisconsin, nobody got attacked by an alligator.

That said, I've lived in east central Florida for twenty years and I have no plans whatsoever to leave. LOVE it here! :)

Upvote 0

gemcross

Living, laughing and loving for Christ.
Feb 20, 2005
FL
✟2,069.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have lived in Florida almost my entire life. I have lived in: Orange City, Altamonte Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Miami (South and North) Florida is all about location. I have lived in or had vacations all over the state. There are a lot of nice places. It is humid, there are a ton of elderly people who cannot drive, tourists who cannot drive and ton of crazies that think they can drive. The property value is very high, and the insurance is gut wrenching. But people come here from all over the world. Florida is amazing, but I want out. It just clashes with my personality type. I have traveled enough outside of FL to know what I want. Nobody appreciates what they have, I suppose!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SandyLou

The Order of the Candle
Mar 1, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Visit site
✟2,869.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Any place you are can be the best or the worst - - it's all about your attitude.
Btw, Florida is a LARGE state with several different climates, natural and commercial wildlife ;) , and industries. It's a bit ignorant to "lump" the entire state in any description. I've lived many other places, but wanted to come home - and DID - to an area I consider paradise on earth. It's not without issues (like the 4 hurricanes I survived last fall) but then every area has issues.
If you don't like Florida - don't live here! :doh: Seems simple to me. Go complain about another state. :cool:

Peace out

Upvote 0

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Southern Cross said:
HOW COULD ANYONE HATE FLORIDA? I moved here 8 years ago, and I love it! Went to college here for a while before that. I'm in Central Florida, a place called Deltona, but soon I'll be in Altamonte Springs. We do have our problems. Like sinkholes mysteriously swallowing roads and houses. Bugs the size of a small cat hitting your windshield. Birds that poop large quantities of fish parts onto your car like it was a hobby. Things that jump out of the water and eat pets... and sometimes people. And then we eat them in return and of course it tastes like chicken. Freakish storms. And it's really strange to see the vagabonds migrate up and down 95 every year. But seriously, it's a good place to live for at least 9 months out of the year! Yeah - it gets wicked hot. Scorching, really. But those are the days you just stay in the A/C.

You should work for the Florida tourism office. ;)

Upvote 0

gemcross

Living, laughing and loving for Christ.
Feb 20, 2005
FL
✟2,069.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I_are_sceptical said:
gemcross welcome to CF. I recommend Wauwatosa Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee where I grew up.

I'm not moving back there. It's too c-c-c-c-cold! So you can take my place.

well thank you, I was actually thinking of Nevada. Its the closest to CA I can get and still be able to afford! I need to get to CA for my work, but as far as where I really want to live its somewhere on a big ranch with lots of horses so I can draw and paint and ride all day! <dreamy sigh:pray:>

Upvote 0