Who has the greatest claim to the tithe?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do pastors claim exclusive rights from all believers to take 10%
It's because they are not distinguishing between what belongs to the Old Testament Levitical system and what belongs to the New Testament. Hebrews 7.12 says that old priesthood system was changed.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Priests’ Share
28 The Lord said to Moses, 29 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who brings a fellowship offering to the Lord is to bring part of it as their sacrifice to the Lord. 30 With their own hands they are to present the food offering to the Lord; they are to bring the fat, together with the breast, and wave the breast before the Lord as a wave offering. The priest shall burn the fat on the altar, but the breast belongs to Aaron and his sons. 32 You are to give the right thigh of your fellowship offerings to the priest as a contribution. The son of Aaron who offers the blood and the fat of the fellowship offering shall have the right thigh as his share. 34 From the fellowship offerings of the Israelites, I have taken the breast that is waved and the thigh that is presented and have given them to Aaron the priest and his sons as their perpetual share from the Israelites.’”

35 This is the portion of the food offerings presented to the Lord that were allotted to Aaron and his sons on the day they were presented to serve the Lord as priests. 36 On the day they were anointed, the Lord commanded that the Israelites give this to them as their perpetual share for the generations to come. Leviticus 7:28-36

All I am trying to point out is to give to the church what belongs to the church.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
✟9,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Priests’ Share
28 The Lord said to Moses, 29 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who brings a fellowship offering to the Lord is to bring part of it as their sacrifice to the Lord. 30 With their own hands they are to present the food offering to the Lord; they are to bring the fat, together with the breast, and wave the breast before the Lord as a wave offering. The priest shall burn the fat on the altar, but the breast belongs to Aaron and his sons. 32 You are to give the right thigh of your fellowship offerings to the priest as a contribution. The son of Aaron who offers the blood and the fat of the fellowship offering shall have the right thigh as his share. 34 From the fellowship offerings of the Israelites, I have taken the breast that is waved and the thigh that is presented and have given them to Aaron the priest and his sons as their perpetual share from the Israelites.’”

35 This is the portion of the food offerings presented to the Lord that were allotted to Aaron and his sons on the day they were presented to serve the Lord as priests. 36 On the day they were anointed, the Lord commanded that the Israelites give this to them as their perpetual share for the generations to come. Leviticus 7:28-36

All I am trying to point out is to give to the church what belongs to the church.

you're pointing out that levites are due, not the church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you're pointing out that levites are due, not the church

As I opened the Bible wanting to quote from Malachi (robbing God), this is exactly the page I opened to (the priest' share) instead of Malachi!!! So I felt this is what the Lord wanted me to post here. The priests are also part of the church.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The only business the church has for money is to use it
to feed the poor, widows and the orphans and to help
those of the flock dealing with hard times and sickness.

Tithes were only to the temple, and only food. No salaries,
rent or building funds, much less cars, Rolexes or airplanes
for pastors who think they are rock stars. Pastor should be
a part-time job paying little to nothing. Paul paid his own
way, and that of the people with him, by making tents.
Acts 18:1-4

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
are you catholic? i dont have priests in my church,and i fully accept the principle of giving
to the church, but not as a legalistic OT hangover where pastors assume the rights of levites.

The English word "priest" ultimately derives from the Latin presbyter through the Germanic/Old English "prestor"; the Latin word is borrowed from Greek πρεσβύτερος (presbyteros) which is translated as "elder".

If your church has "elders", then yes, your church has priests.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums