Who else is excited about the new Balder's Gate?

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Baldur’s Gate 3 revealed in buggy but exciting gameplay demo

I watched this demo over the weekend. I do like the turned-based battles, though I can see how some people would prefer a "live" battle.

It looks good to me, and I really like turn based RPGs. If you like turn based RPGs, I'd highly recommend Dragon Quest XI : Echoes of an Elusive Age. Also, Baldurs Gate 3 is being developed by Larian Studios who made Divinity 1, and 2 which were both brilliant turn based RPGs as well.

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟20,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been hearing people compare this Baldur's Gate to Divinity. The previous ones were not turn-based when it came to battles. It was more or less "live" but you could pause when you wanted. The older ones were more like Dragon Age, which I have also enjoyed.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have been hearing people compare this Baldur's Gate to Divinity. The previous ones were not turn-based when it came to battles. It was more or less "live" but you could pause when you wanted. The older ones were more like Dragon Age, which I have also enjoyed.

Agreed. I think people are comparing it to Divinity both because of the inclusion of the turn based battles, and because Larian are the ones who developed both Divinity 1/2, and Baldurs Gate 3. It looks interesting though, and I'll definitely pick it up at some point.

Upvote 0

athenken

Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟20,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m excited, but not convinced yet by Larian taking the combat in a Divinity direction. It probably means they can reuse existing code, but I’m not keen on the idea of the two series becoming more aligned like that.
What difference would that make? If they built an engine that works why not use it in other applications? Work smarter not harder. No need to reinvent the wheel on every game build.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What difference would that make? If they built an engine that works why not use it in other applications? Work smarter not harder. No need to reinvent the wheel on every game build.

Because by changing the existing Baldur’s Gate format they are reinventing that wheel, and to me it doesn’t need reinvention.

Upvote 0

athenken

Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟20,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because by changing the existing Baldur’s Gate format they are reinventing that wheel, and to me it doesn’t need reinvention.
I would agree there, but I also would like to play the turned based approach. Only had one chance to play the real D&D growing up, so this would be a throwback to that, to a degree.

But as I mentioned, it would be a good idea for the developers to make the turned based battles an option not compulsory in the game.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would agree there, but I also would like to play the turned based approach. Only had one chance to play the real D&D growing up, so this would be a throwback to that, to a degree.

But as I mentioned, it would be a good idea for the developers to make the turned based battles an option not compulsory in the game.

I’d be completely in favor of that. I heard they were talking about an optional mode where the whole game could be played turn based if people choose, so it’s a good example to follow.

Upvote 0