Who does volunteer work/charity work here on CF?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I certainly admire anyone who does. I think there are definite excuses for not doing it such as full-time work and raising a family. I don't have any excuse really. A few hours a week would be a good start.

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Don't underestimate prayer as a service you can give charities.

I volunteer for the homeless shelter, only takes a couple times a month. Once a year there is a lady who puts on a community meal at Thanksgiving and I volunteer for that.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
thanks for replies
Conclusion:
1) Posters are too shy or secretive to admit volunteering
or
2) Posters who volunteer are in the extreme minority group on CF.

So the people who posted on here are special Christians in my view. Very special.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thanks for replies
Conclusion:
1) Posters are too shy or secretive to admit volunteering
or
2) Posters who volunteer are in the extreme minority group on CF.

So the people who posted on here are special Christians in my view. Very special.

Im late getting to this thread, but the same thought crossed my mind--I would have thought that this thread would have quickly racked up multiple pages. Perhaps posters are too shy to admit volunteering or perhaps posting online has taken the place of volunteering.

Before I moved I was actively involved with our local Association for Retarded Citizens. I also helped the local abuse center and picked up trash along a highway and was active with our foodbank at church. I moved two years ago and have not yet gotten involved with any volunteer activities here although I have intended on doing so. Thank you for this thread--you have motivated me to get busy and to start looking for some local volunteer opportunities.

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who does volunteer work/charity work here on CF
I certainly admire anyone who does. I think there are definite excuses for not doing it such as full-time work and raising a family. I don't have any excuse really. A few hours a week would be a good start.
Yes, we love serving the Lord and He has opened many doors to train both my wife and I up to be His hands and feet. We are of course saved by Grace through faith but I believe every Christian should relish the work of the Holy Spirit within us. When God calls us alongside Him on mission to work you are really caught up in His delight and learn that God has blessed us all to be a blessing. The more He pulls you in the more you want to say yes to God. Just make sure you are saying yes to the Holy Spirit and not your own passion. I have also learned over the years to delegate and encourage other Christians to heed the call to His commission and not try to do everything on our own. Anyhow this is some of the work God has blessed us with, and called us to volunteer for. I'm very grateful God has given us these opportunities as well as the testimonies of what we have seen God do.
  • My wife and I helped to co-found an organization that connects churches to the refugee and immigrant community in a nearby US city. There are over 90 languages spoken there so it has been a perfect opportunity to bring the Great Commission to those who have not heard the Gospel, while simultaneously strengthening the immigrant communities who do know Christ by connecting and networking them to the evangelical community at large to better empower them to grow. It's also been great for the established Evangelical churches as well. Ministry tends to make us all stronger, especially when its the desire of the Holy Spirit to make Christ presence known in His power. A threefold cord is not easily broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12
  • This ministry has also brought me overseas to minister the Gospel to refugees coming out of the camps with groups of Christians coming from all over the world in order to respond to the crisis. It has given us unfettered access to minister to other people groups, especially to Muslims, and speak about our hope in Christ to them. The harvest is indeed plentiful and the Lord has shown us that.
  • We volunteer in NYC with Global Gates which outreaches to many unreached people living right here. They're really all over the country and it's a great way to learn cross cultural evangelism and support the Great Commission in the States.
  • I've been involved with an overseas outreach to a people group that does not yet have an established church among them but does have some strong Christians. I go there as well. We're praying for growth and strong roots in Christ. I can't say too much about this at all but covet your prayers.
  • We're involved in elderly Christian outreach. This is a blessed ministry and the seniors are wonderful to work with. We have a mix of musicians that sing some of the older hymns with them and they have a wonderful time singing along too. We pray with them and read the Word of God and spread the hope of Christ with them and they have blessed us far more than we have blessed them.
  • We're involved in an inner city feeding ministry. We usually get about a 100 people or more for dinner. We hand out Bibles, tracts, supply the music, food, drink, and our listening ears. We're also singing about the Lord, using contemporary music, as well as reading God's Word, giving testimonies, invitationals and praying for whoever asks. People have been coming to the Lord so we thank God for being able to be part of what He is doing there.
  • Involved in missionary training and mission coordination on a volunteer basis as well.
  • Other than that I'm quite involved in our association of churches, Pastoral prayer groups, Veteran's affairs, Church ministry, ESL, drivers ed, teaching math, helping people to find jobs, Bible studies, VBS etc
  • I used to be involved with ministry to the disabled and prison ministry as well but this is an example how God calls us to different things at different times and our need to stay flexible so that the Holy Spirit can direct us and use us however God sees fit. Most important thing I've learned is being submissive to the Lord and understanding it is His Gig. He is in the driver's seat and we're all just learning and along for the ride. Hallelujah!
In Christ, John 17:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
✟45,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
When I was a senior in high school I volunteered with Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Bridge. I am not volunteering anywhere currently but would like to volunteer in a library. I have contacted libraries near where I live to volunteer they have not gotten back to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been actively seeking to do more in my church, but the only problem with that is my church doesn't have much of anything...

They are going to have a booth at the fair in August and I signed up for that.

• Friendly
Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been actively seeking to do more in my church, but the only problem with that is my church doesn't have much of anything...

They are going to have a booth at the fair in August and I signed up for that.

There are probably other ministries available in your area that would love to have you volunteer. Have you looked into those?

God Bless
Jax

• Friendly
Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to volunteer on Christmas Day to cook (and I use that word loosely as my cooking skills extend to soup and buttering bread badly) and serve Christmas dinner at a homeless shelter. I did this for four years when I lived alone and made friends whom I only ever saw on Christmas Day!

Now days I would like to volunteer more but personal and professional commitments prevent it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums