• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Who Do We Turn To?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Ioustinos, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+160
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I have recently moved across the country to a new city, leaving behind my home church and spiritual father. Currently I am dealing with a very critical spiritual issue and am in great need of guidance from a spiritual father. I can still contact my former spiritual father, but at times he is hard to get a hold of because of his schedule. Furthermore, because I am new to the area I have not had an opportunity to find a new spiritual father. I have given to confession to one of the local priests and while he is a very kind priest I do not feel free to discuss this issue with him. With my former spiritual father there was a deep connection and I felt free to discuss anything with him. I would like to find another spiritual father with that same type of relationship.

I am unsure of what to do and am in great need of guidance. Any words of wisdom or advice as to what to do? :sigh:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+14,784
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Oh boy - do I feel your pain - been there and am still working through it - seriously I do understand.

Background - my SF was in France and like you I could and did talk freely with him , Confession was a joy though not as regular as I would have liked because of distance . We spoke on the phone regularly - I knew the best time to contact him. He was recalled to Australia some 3 years ago.

OK that left me in a very ethnic parish [ Ukrainian] with a priest who spoke minimal English , whose understanding of English was sadly lacking - confession putting it bluntly, was just not possible.

Now I have a Confessor outside my country again - I have to fly to see him ! BUT he understands me and makes time for me. When I visit we talk freely and I have complete trust in him.

At present pray , pray more and pray harder than you have ever prayed until now.

If you have confessed with a priest, who is kind - maybe you could arrange to see him and explain your problem - tell him that as yet , though you know you need to deal with a problem , you are not yet comfortable enough to open up . Let him take it from there.

Hope this helps - it's not an incredibly orthodox solution [ in both senses of the word ;) ] but it may give you something to think about.

Please forgive me if you think it was an inappropriate response .

3. Barky

Barky Member Supporter

+80
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Can't help you too much except to say I'm in the same boat. I've only had one "real" spiritual father when I converted, but he was also an army chaplain and had to move. I pray for a spiritual Father, and hope God will give us both one.

4. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

+965
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Don't rule out your parish priest. He may be the Spiritual Father that God has in mind for you.

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,495
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    if you cannot get to your SF, I would agree with Katherine, especially since it seems like this is a priest you can respect and trust.

6. BraveMommy

BraveMommy Newbie

+0
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Call or visit the closest Monastery and ask who they recommend. I'd have never found my spiritual father if I'd not done this.

7. RosaryChaplet9

RosaryChaplet9 Guest

+0

Usually mom & dad or a dependable friend.

8. RosaryChaplet9

RosaryChaplet9 Guest

+0

Hello Anhelyna,

What's wrong an Ethnic parish? I had a Priest that I talked to about 2-3 times a month but he died from cancer.