US
✟1,060,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Constantine decreed (March 7, 321) dies Solis—day of the sun, "Sunday"—as the Roman day of rest just prior to the Council of Nicaea:

“On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for grain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.”

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. (Canon 29 [A.D. 360]). (The Church Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE)

"The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third (fourth) Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day." The Catholic Encyclopedia Topic: Ten Commandments, 2nd paragraph

"We have made the change from the seventh day to the first day, from Saturday to Sunday, on the authority of the one holy, catholic, apostolic church of Christ."--Episcopalian Bishop Seymour said in "Why We Keep Sunday."

Last edited:

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Constantine decreed (March 7, 321) dies Solis—day of the sun, "Sunday"—as the Roman day of rest just prior to the Council of Nicaea:

“On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for grain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.”

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. (Canon 29 [A.D. 360]). (The Church Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE)

"The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third (fourth) Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day." The Catholic Encyclopedia Topic: Ten Commandments, 2nd paragraph

"We have made the change from the seventh day to the first day, from Saturday to Sunday, on the authority of the one holy, catholic, apostolic church of Christ."--Episcopalian Bishop Seymour said in "Why We Keep Sunday."
In Tiberias, Israel they sounded an air raid siren at sunset Friday to announce the start of Sabbath. If you worked during Sabbath they might ostracize you. The Torah required stoning people who work on the Sabbath. They wanted to stone Jesus for healing on the Sabbath. That is murder. Christians do not believe in murder. God works seven days a week. You may rest any day you like.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In Tiberias, Israel they sounded an air raid siren at sunset Friday to announce the start of Sabbath. If you worked during Sabbath they might ostracize you. The Torah required stoning people who work on the Sabbath. They wanted to stone Jesus for healing on the Sabbath. That is murder. Christians do not believe in murder. God works seven days a week. You may rest any day you like.

Exodus 31
12 YHWH said to Moshe, 13 Tell the people of Isra’el, ‘You are to observe my Shabbats; for this is a sign between me and you through all your generations; so that you will know that I am YHWH, who sets you apart for me. 17 It is a sign between me and the people of Isra’el forever; for in six days Elohim made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day he stopped working and rested.’

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exodus 31
12 YHWH said to Moshe, 13 Tell the people of Isra’el, ‘You are to observe my Shabbats; for this is a sign between me and you through all your generations; so that you will know that I am YHWH, who sets you apart for me. 17 It is a sign between me and the people of Isra’el forever; for in six days Elohim made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day he stopped working and rested.’

But who are the "people of Israel"?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Mark 7:6-13 comes to mind just then
6 ‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Yahshua came for none but Yashra'el. Yashrael has the Torah written on their hearts.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Rom 2
25 For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am glad that scripture sets the Sunday and Saturday people straight. 2Cor 3:6-11.

Me too -

For all eternity after the cross in the New Earth.
Is 66:23 - “ from Sabbath to Sabbath,
All mankind will come to bow down before Me
,” says the Lord.

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"

Every Sabbath - both Jews and gentiles in the synagogue for Gospel preaching. Acts 18:4

1 Cor 7:19 "What matters is keeping the commandments of God"

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Yahshua came for none but Yashra'el. Yashrael has the Torah written on their hearts.

Who were the "lost sheep of the house of Israel"?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Who were the "lost sheep of the house of Israel"?

They are those who will have the Torah inscribed on their hearts.

(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws (Torah) to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they shall be to Me for a people.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exodus 31
In Acts 15 the apostles agreed with Paul to not require the Gentiles to submit to the burden of the law.

Jesus healed a paralyzed man on the Sabbath at the pools of Bethesda in Jerusalem. The Jews wanted to stone him for this act of mercy was done on the seventh day.

John 5:15 (WEB) The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 For this cause the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill him, because he did these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, so I am working, too.”18 For this cause therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the Sabbath, but also called God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟538,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
In European calendars, Sunday is the 7th day of the week and the first day of the week is Monday. So everything is OK. Only English speaking countries have Sunday as the first day of the week.
Brother, the first day was from the first light to light again in the morning with the following days from morning to morning until the seventh day where God rested and made holy that time in Eden that is not the seventh day of the week in Israel as it was in Eden.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)​

United in our hope of the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Brother, the first day was from the first light to light again in the morning with the following days from morning to morning until the seventh day where God rested and made holy that time in Eden that is not the seventh day of the week in Israel as it was in Eden.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)​

We in Europe are not bound by Jewish day definitions.

For us, day has 24 hours and is from 00:01 to 23:59

And Monday is the first day in our week.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟97,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Brother, Jesus rose on a Saturday night, after the Sabbath and before Sunday.

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” (John 20:1-2 NIV)​

Sorry, that's false. We can agree that the fist day begins at evening, but "early in the morning" is not "at night". You have a questionable agenda.
Luk 24:1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟538,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
We can agree that the fist day begins at evening
Brother, that is false. The first day began with the period of light that God called "day" and ended with the period of darkness that God called "night" from evening to morning, so that the first day of the week in Genesis was from the first light to light again in the morning, setting the days of the week in Genesis from morning to morning.

Upvote 0