✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all!

I hope to become an Orthodox in the future as in my studies I have come to believe it is the true Apostolic Church. I am worried however because I want to become a theologian, my whole life I have studied and contemplated the Scriptures and I feel it is my calling, but I'm not sure if it is possible to be an Orthodox theologian without seeing the "Divine Light".

Am I just confused and worrying about nothing or is it true that one can only be a theologian if they see the "Divine Light"?

Reactions: mindlight

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy like most Christians understand that God is the Light, But the Orthodox people also think that process of contemplation "illuminates the intellect of man" with the Divine Light.

In the special sense that the OP described though surely only Jesus and the 3 apostles present at the Transfiguration and maybe St Paul have experienced the Divine Light in Jesus Light of the World. The aspiration to be an apostle is not a requirement for an Orthodox theologian nor to write new revelation on a par with scripture. But a yearning for the Light of God in ones life is.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As far as I am aware, theology is merely the study of (logy) of God (theos). Technically, theology is something you do and anyone can do it. Even an atheist can be a theologian and many have. However, they call it "Philosophy of Religion". There is no requirement that will prevent you from doing theology. You have already been doing it for some time now. It doesn't sound like you are trying to become an Orthodox priest. However, if you want to do theology professionally as a scholar or seminary professor you need credentials. There are plenty of seminaries that offer degrees in Orthodox theology. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Orthodox seminary. For example, the seminary I attended is traditionally a Baptist Seminary. However, it also offered degrees in Anglican Studies and Theology. I hope this helps. Below is a link to one example of an Orthodox Seminary which offers an M. Div in Orthodox Theology.

Master of Divinity

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I am aware, theology is merely the study of (logy) of God (theos). Technically, theology is something you do and anyone can do it. Even an atheist can be a theologian and many have. However, they call it "Philosophy of Religion". There is no requirement that will prevent you from doing theology. You have already been doing it for some time now. It doesn't sound like you are trying to become an Orthodox priest. However, if you want to do theology professionally as a scholar or seminary professor you need credentials. There are plenty of seminaries that offer degrees in Orthodox theology. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Orthodox seminary. For example, the seminary I attended is traditionally a Baptist Seminary. However, it also offered degrees in Anglican Studies and Theology. I hope this helps. Below is a link to one example of an Orthodox Seminary which offers an M. Div in Orthodox Theology.

Master of Divinity

An atheist can study theology but without the Light of God in their lives they are not theologians. I studied theology also with atheists who got degrees. But they do not know God so how can they claim to have studied God.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An atheist can study theology but without the Light of God in their lives they are not theologians. I studied theology also with atheists who got degrees. But they do not know God so how can they claim to have studied God.
They study God the same way we can study the teachings of any religion. A Christian is capable of studying the teachings of Islam or Buddha to the point that they can become experts in those areas. As you mentioned, atheists cannot know God. And I agree with that statement. However, there is a difference between knowing about someone and actually knowing them. Take for example your favorite baseball player. You may know all their stats and statistics. You may also have read all their autobiographies or even wrote a biography about that person yourself. But do you really know the individual personally? Although your knowledge would be extensive on that player, it is limited because you will never have a personal relationship with that person. Especially if that player is already dead. The same is true for theology. Anyone, to include atheists, can attain "head knowledge" about God. But it is impossible to actually know God without a personal relationship with Him. I hope this cleared things up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
to quote from St Silouan of Mt Athos, "The one who prays purely is the true theologian, and the true theologian is the one who prays purely."

God is a Person to be known, not a concept to be studied.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

And welcome to St. Basil's (which is a subsection of The Ancient Way - TAW) to you and to all of our non- Orthodox visitors.

Christ is Born! Glorify Him! (This is our Nativity greeting :) )

One may certainly become Orthodox. Of course I agree it is the continuation of the early Church. We are still in communion with those Churches mentioned in Scripture (most of which have continually existed) - except Rome of course.

If you mean you wish to be one who studies and/or teaches theology, that is certainly possible. There is no "requirement" of having seen the Divine Light. But there is a very great deal of richness and it can occupy a person's entire life and still not everything will be known. There are many very fine teachers though, who are "theologians" in the sense I think you probably mean, and hearing them is like being showered with gold - their words are precious and edifying.

The Church does have the "title" of Theologian - and that has been bestowed upon only a few Saints through history to distinguish who they are. It would be a huge matter of pride to aspire to this designation, and we don't.

The Church also has a saying - "The true theologian is one who prays". And by that we mean that in order to know God, one has to spend time with God. Much is learned through prayer itself. And these are not the kinds of things we expect to be taught in a classroom - though they may be described a little in books or spiritual counsels. True experience of God and with God is necessary to grow in the faith though.

And finally - the Divine Light. Yes, it is an actual experience. And I suspect really a lot more common than many people might suppose. HOWEVER - it is very important to note a couple of things. First - that kind of direct experience is on a level where the enemy frequently tries to introduce much deception. One MUST be connected with the oversight of a spiritual father who is wise enough to prevent the very real risk of deception and pride which can result. It is a well-known trick of the enemy, and can result in a most dangerous spiritual condition which may not be something that can be healed (people under such a delusion tend to think they don't need help and so refuse it - a very vicious cycle the enemy traps them in). Lifelong monks have fallen into such a trap, so people ought not think their own discernment will save them. And for these kinds of reasons, we never SEEK spiritual experiences of this sort. If God so wills, they may come to a person. And a person must be cautious and skeptical and submit to a spiritual father. But we never chase after "experiences" because the genuine ones come only at the will of God, but the enemy is always ready and pleased to supply false "experiences" to those who seek them. So - don't worry about such an experience. As I said, pride is a big danger in that case. And God doesn't want to put us in danger. These experiences most often come to those whose humility is well-developed for that reason. And among the virtues (which take time to cultivate) ... humility is the highest and most difficult to attain. It should be expected that it will take a long time.

But as for becoming Orthodox, that is certainly possible. And if you wish to study, teach, and so on, it is a goal anyone can pursue. :) Expect it to take a long time to become a teacher though - there is SO MUCH available to learn. There are many good books, and Ancient Faith Radio has many podcasts (some certainly much better for your goals), and there are Orthodox seminaries and monasteries and other places to study.

I hope this helps. Again, welcome to TAW. God be with you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of seminaries that offer degrees in Orthodox theology. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Orthodox seminary. For example, the seminary I attended is traditionally a Baptist Seminary.

No offense, but I would never seek out to learn about Eastern Orthodoxy from a non-Orthodox source. There is SO much disconnect because people filter things through their own lenses, and because the same words don't always mean the same thing from different perspectives.

Books and articles written about Orthodoxy by the non-Orthodox - that I have seen are often grossly mistaken. At best they just don't really understand what they attempt to explain.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No offense, but I would never seek out to learn about Eastern Orthodoxy from a non-Orthodox source. There is SO much disconnect because people filter things through their own lenses, and because the same words don't always mean the same thing from different perspectives.

Books and articles written about Orthodoxy by the non-Orthodox - that I have seen are often grossly mistaken. At best they just don't really understand what they attempt to explain.
Even if the course was taught by an orthodox professor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if the course was taught by an orthodox professor?
There are exceptions I'm sure. :) I just meant the idea of going to a Protestant seminary to learn about Orthodoxy lol.

Actually Dr. Jeannie Constantineau teaches at a Catholic university. She's an Orthodox professor married to an Orthodox priest with a new podcast teaching on the Gospel of John that's just excellent. She's mentioned a few times how her students (mostly Catholics and sometimes Protestant) react to some of her teaching, and the ideas they sometimes bring with them.

But since the OP isn't Orthodox, and while I was typing I think all the replies had been by Protestants, I was just concerned to give the perspective of caution an Orthodox person might offer.

Actually I remember hearing about an Orthodox professor at a Baptist theological seminary (if I'm getting the exact details right) who taught Church history ... and was ultimately responsible for a great many conversions to Orthodoxy. :)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just a reminder to visitors that this thread is in an Eastern Orthodox sub-forum. The SOP for this forum includes:

Threads for the faith, bible studies, discussions on Saints and Holy Tradition, inquiry into the faith, and questions asking for an Orthodox only point of view are allowed.​

Please respect that.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am not versed in Orthodox theology personally, but I imagine the light you've mentioned lends itself to a particular aptitude for academia, dissecting and the translation and faithful and accurate communication of incredibly complex material whose depth increases with your knowledge.

Theology is not an easy subject and if you look at great theologians you will definitely see the common theme of exceptional intellect and other attributes.

As someone else also mentioned, your approach to it matters as well. It is not purely a studious endeavour but a personal one with God as well. All too often a person's preaching or study can become simply a sound exegesis of the Word and not a communication of God, His Will and His Word.

The fact you aren't diving in headlong shows you're more than likely ready to bear the responsibility and demands of theological study.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Toolbelt

Apr 23, 2018
northeast
✟32,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello all!

I hope to become an Orthodox in the future as in my studies I have come to believe it is the true Apostolic Church. I am worried however because I want to become a theologian, my whole life I have studied and contemplated the Scriptures and I feel it is my calling, but I'm not sure if it is possible to be an Orthodox theologian without seeing the "Divine Light".

Am I just confused and worrying about nothing or is it true that one can only be a theologian if they see the "Divine Light"?

There are two different types of knowledge. One is though reason and academics and can help greatly. The divine light is knowledge as well. This knowledge is spiritual knowledge and there are many degrees. It comes to those that are pure at heart and is a gift.

Upvote 0